Stockholm - touring alone

Hi! Was wondering if anyone has any info on touring Stockholm on your own? I've tried to do some research, but i'm finding that Princess docks at several different locations and not sure if we can catch a bus or water taxi from the pier? I also tried to see on the princess website if they offer a bus to downtown but I don't see that under their tour options. any help would be appreciated! A bus map would also help!

Stockholm is super easy to tour on your own. Vasa Museum and Skansen are my favorites and are right next to each other. There is a very comprehensive subway/tram/bus/ferry system which allows you to get around easily, though we really enjoyed walking too.

The different docking locations is a problem because you probably won't know where ahead of time--actually on our last Regent cruise, they told us one place the day before but ended up at another. I think it depends on what of other ships are in port, and spaces are assigned by the port authority which has authority to change them.

I would think that Princess would have a shuttle from where ever it is to downtown. We took a taxi as this was the end of our cruise. It cost about $35-$40 to get from the dock to the Hilton downtown, so even if you had to take a taxi, it would probably be cheaper than a tour plus you would be able to set your own schedule and do what you want.

Stockholm is our favorite city anywhere. Whatever you decide, it will be great!

Last year we took a Holland America cruise to the Baltic. HAL provided shuttle buses (with charge) from port to downtown. I believe other cruise lines also provided shuttle services. Taxis were available too.

We pre-ordered Stockholm Card, which came with a booklet with bus maps inside. This is the web site: http://www.stockholmtown.com/

We were in Stockholm on the Crown Princess last month. We docked at 167 Stadsgarden, which is an easy walk to Old Town. We however, walked just a few yards to the end of the dock where there were two competing hop on, hop off sightseeing boats. The tickets were good for 24 hours (I don't remember the cost, but it was surprisingly low). We went directly to the Vasa, stayed for about an hour, hopped on the boat, which stopped at Skansen. Another HOHO boat ride of about 10 minutes took us to the end of the Gamla Stan in Old Town. After a few hours there, we caught the boat back to the ship.

Princess was offering a shuttle into Old Town for (I think) $13 roundtrip. I know that in the past, Princess has used the dock at Frihamnan to the north and east of the city, which would require public transportation.

Stockholm is easy to do on your own. If you go to the Vasa first thing, you will avoid all the tour busses and be one step ahead of them all day.

Stockholm Public Transport:

http://www.sl.se/Templates/SubStart.aspx?id=1906

Downtown bus map:

http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fvinter/vCity%5Fkarta.pdf

I strongly recommend you pre-order a Stockholm Card, saves you a lot of trouble.

Hi:

Do you think the Stockholm Card is worth purchasing just for

a day at port?

Unless you are going to do a lot of sightseeing at many different places, it is not going to be worth it. We went to Skansen and Vasa and did the boat tours plus used the subway and trams extensively to get around. We probably came out about even, but the convenience factor was big. If you are only going to do Skansen and Vasa, you would be better off just paying for them. You can go to the website and see the costs and figure it out. A lot of the museums, etc in Stockholm are free, so that is something to consider too.

Do you think the Stockholm Card is worth purchasing just for

a day at port?

Well, as RachelG said, economically you probably will only come out even at best. But look at it this way. The odds are that ship will dock at Frihamnen. The Stockholm bus drivers aren not selling tickets anymore so unless you are planning to take a taxi you need Swedish Kronor immediately and you need to find out a place/machine to buy a ticket before entering the bus. I assume there probably will be queues as well as confusion. With the Stockholm card you just jump on bus #1 or #76 and thats it.

Stockholm card (2008) 24 hours: 330 SEK

Stockholm Public Transport 24 hours ticket 100 SEK

Royal Castle Combination ticket (Royal Apartments, the Treasury etc.) 130 SEK

Royal Ship Vasa 95 SEK

Skansen open-air museum 110 SEK (Jun-Aug)

With the card you can also have a 5 minute peek in at places you probably wouldnt be ready to pay for normally such as:

Royal Armoury 60 SEK

Skansen Aquarium 75 SEK

The Riddarholmen Church 30 SEK

etc.

(There is approx 7 SEK on the dollar)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived