Egypt Tour and Nile River Cruise Review

MVPinBoynton

On our tour there is a couple of chances to see light and sound shows. What did you think of the one you saw? Is it worth paying for?

As we said in our review, the Karnak Sound and Light Show was a total waste of time and money. Others seem to enjoy the one at the Pyramids, but we couldn't go to it, because someone rented it out the night we were supposed to go for a private party. It must have been some party.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our Egypt tour including river cruise. A great holiday. I wore capris most of the time, or denim or khaki skirts, jeans, flip flops, sandals or runners. The only thing I didn't feel comfortable wearing except around the pool was short shorts and sleeveless tops because most people living and working there are covered head to toe. We went to the Karnak light show and though it wasn't spectacular, the narration gives one a sense of the life and possibilities at the time. It's one of those really personal choice things. I'm glad I did one night show as otherwise I might have felt I missed something.

Betty,

I'm glad you got something out of the Karnak Light Show. As I'm sure you read in our review, we were very disappointed in it. It was probably even more disappointing, since we came right after we visitied Luxor at night, which is just incredibly beautifu. Having to be herded around in a large crowd and not really seeing much was quite disappointing at the Karnak light show. We had also been to Karnak earlier in the daytime and been wowed by this most impressive and beautiful temple, so this was a rather exhausting day. The naration was interesting, but since we had heard most of the same information earlier and the light show was merely turning on some lights in different areas far off from the seating, I did not find it to be worth going to.

I still can't believe I have been to Egypt. Wasn't it just incredible to see these awesome sites?

Egypt was awesome and overall exceeded our expectations. I was a bit templed out by the time we finished in Aswan and that contributed to our only disappointment being Abu Simbel which we took as an add on option For the cost to fly there for just a short look, I didn't find Abu Simbel as spectacular as other sites were. Our local guide at Abu Simbel was lackluster at best which also contributed to the disappointment. Our Cairo guide and the guide with us for the boat cruise were terrific. Karnak (we also did it earlier in the day prior to the night show) and Valley of the Kings were highlights. Bonus was that we had no experience with mummy tummy during the trip. No one on our boat (MS Royal Ruby) seemed to get afflicted though we spoke to people from numerous other boats who had been down for a couple of days of their 4 day cruise with gastro symptoms. I also loved the local markets, having fun bartering or just saying no. It was also great to learn more about the Muslim culture from our guide. Another thing I would add for anyone looking into hotels; we stayed at the Swiss Inn Pyrmaids Golf Hotel out past Giza. New hotel which is lovely however very far removed from everything except the Hilton next door. Unless you have arranged guided tours and transportation, it is way too far out to reasonably get into Cairo. All in all a terrific trip which I would highly recommend!

Archived