Car Seats in Ports

Livabeth

Hi everyone,

I know that car seats have been talked about many times, but I wondered if booster seats are needed in the port of St. Thomas?? At two of our other ports (Princess Cay and Grand Turk) we do not plan to take transportation and in St. Maarten we have a tour book and have received confirmation that the bus does not take car seats. That leaves St. Thomas. We have an excursion booked to Coral World or we may just take a taxi. Any thoughts on if we would need the booster seats for our two dd (aged 9 & 5) in St. Thomas?? We are considering renting a vehicle on our pre-cruise stay and getting car seats with the cars. We have one booked for our post cruise stay.

As well, how have others packed (backless) booster seats for travelling on the plane?? I tried to get them into a duffle bag and they would not fit. This is one of the last detail ... other than packing (or overpacking!!) ... that I need to figure out.

Thanks.

Cathy

I have just checked the backless boosters in at the gate with my stroller. I've even seen people put them in garbage bags to protect them.

With a 5 year old, yes I would probably bring the booster. With the 9 year old, technically yes, you should. If she still uses one in Canada. But I can say that I haven't a few times with my 8 year old. She wore the seatbelt.

Just back from the Sapphire out of LA with our 3 year old. We gate checked our stroller and backless booster at the airports and then on arrival to the ship we put a tag on both of them and let them go through with our luggage. We used the stroller and used a bunge cord to attach the booster to the stroller when getting off the ship. (DS wasn't up to walking that morning) Our stroller is a glorified umbrella stroller and has a carry bag with handle. Never covered the booster, but did remove the pads on the arm rests b/c they easily come off. It was easy for dh to carry it with the booster strapped to it when we were not using either of them.

On the recommendation of someone on this board (think you whoever you are!) I just purchased two of these:

http://www.elitecarseats.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=960

Elitecarseats is offering free shipping right now, and free "return insurance"!

Miniminum is 35# AND 38" in height. There are two sizes, I'm not familiar with the larger size.

Mine just arrived today so I haven't played with them yet. Expensive yes, but versitile. We'll use the for an emergency back up carseat, for carpooling and for travel, of course!

Archived