Back from the Dawn - 9/28 to Bermuda

Flyingfish

What a fabulous cruise!! Too bad it was only a week. We have not been great NCL supporters, having only 2 previous NCL cruises under our belts. I can't express enough our delight with the entire staff and crew. I've never, and I mean never, come across such friendly, capable, curteous, outgoing staff and crew members. We use to feel this way about HAL. But that warm and fuzzy feeling has disappeared unfortunately. Their crew and staff just seem worn out at this point. Doesn't mean we wouldn't sail again with HAL, but we sure found a wonderful alternative! The ship is lovely, we never felt overcrowded at any time. Of course, the pool area really needs some thought regarding enlargement. It is absolutely too small. But aside from that, we never felt the "crush" felt on some other lines. Food ranged from o.k. to very good.

We were not going to do the specialty rest. But caved in; Cagney's steak was one of the best. LeBistro, food excellent. But, so was the Venitian and Aqua. Low note on the Aqua, when I ordered roast pork dinner, got two small round paper thin slices. I swear, I felt like someone ate the rest before it got to me. We had a AE aft cabin, and what can I say about that! We'd definately book that one again.

We were on this cruise as well and I agree completely with your comments on the warmth and friendliness of all the crew. Having read some very critical reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. Now I have to wonder what ship all those complainers were on. :)

We didn't have a single serious complaint to make. Of course it would have been nice to have had better weather, but that's hardly NCL's fault. The trip was also too short, but I can't pin that on NCL either!

It was a great week and I would do it again any time.

Hey i'll be on the Dawn to Bermuda for the Halloween Cruise leaving 10/26. Anything you can tell me to expect? or MUST SEES/DOS? How much was teppanyaki resturant? Is it still $25? How was the weather in Bermuda for you? Did anyone buy the ferry pass?

If anyone could give me some advice for Bermuda I would truly appreciate it, thank you!

Hey i'll be on the Dawn to Bermuda for the Halloween Cruise leaving 10/26. Anything you can tell me to expect? or MUST SEES/DOS? How much was teppanyaki resturant? Is it still $25? How was the weather in Bermuda for you? Did anyone buy the ferry pass?

If anyone could give me some advice for Bermuda I would truly appreciate it, thank you!

I can't help you with the restaurant as we only tried Salsa. It was alright, but nothing special. The Venetian and the buffet were more than acceptable alternatives.

We didn't have the nicest weather, but that's just the luck of the draw. We juggled our itinerary accordingly and managed to hit Horseshoe on Friday under sunny skies.

We were happy to have bought the $28 3-day transit pass. It is good on the buses and ferries. As we hopped on and off a great deal, it was a sound investment. They even put on a special bus from Dockyard to Horseshoe on the Friday.

My best advice would be to read a guide book and/or lurk on the Bermuda board. It's a small country and you'll be able to make some informed decisions about how to spend your time. We never made it to a couple of places on our list, so be prepared to compromise. Three days isn't enough to come close to seeing it all.

It's a beautiful spot and the people are largely friendly. Language is no barrier and it's easy to find your way around; especially if you use the public transit system.

Have a great time!

I can't help you with the restaurant as we only tried Salsa. It was alright, but nothing special. The Venetian and the buffet were more than acceptable alternatives.

We didn't have the nicest weather, but that's just the luck of the draw. We juggled our itinerary accordingly and managed to hit Horseshoe on Friday under sunny skies.

We were happy to have bought the $28 3-day transit pass. It is good on the buses and ferries. As we hopped on and off a great deal, it was a sound investment. They even put on a special bus from Dockyard to Horseshoe on the Friday.

My best advice would be to read a guide book and/or lurk on the Bermuda board. It's a small country and you'll be able to make some informed decisions about how to spend your time. We never made it to a couple of places on our list, so be prepared to compromise. Three days isn't enough to come close to seeing it all.

It's a beautiful spot and the people are largely friendly. Language is no barrier and it's easy to find your way around; especially if you use the public transit system.

Have a great time!

Thank you so much for all your input! :)

Glad you guys had a good time in Bermuda and on the Dawn. I agree, 7 days (3 in Bermuda) is way too short. And you're right about the Dawn. What a nice ship and a great crew.

Thanks for posting your review.

Happy Cruising! :)

We too bought the 3 day pass. Actually, a 2 day would have been fine for us. We spent the last day at the snorkle beach within walking distance of the ship. Lovely beach, small, calm waters and what a surprise - great snorkling. Also, tip: there is a trolley/tram ride to all the areas around the dockside area for free! We didn't know that in advance, it saved some time walking under that hot Bermuda sun. All you guys going soon, have a great time!

I too was on this cruise and it was really great. The staff from the Captain on down were friendly smiling and accomodating. The officers, especially Hugo, made it a point to meet and converse with most of the Passengers.

Did get rained on but heck, I was already on the beach and wet so it did not matter. I bought the 2 day pass, spent Wednesday in historic St Georges, Thursday at Horseshoe bay then in Hamilton and Friday right there at the Dockyard at Snorkel Park. Friday was the best weather day! The ferry rides are great and gives a great view of the ship and the island.

Bermuda is very accomodating and does put on extra buses and ferries to accomodate the cruise ship passengers. On Thursday and Friday they had special buses to Hamilton and the beaches and on Thursday night an extra ferry that pulled up at the dock right near the ship.

A free trolley runs from the ship to the ferry and bus stop, the Clay Factory, the Shopping mallin the Clocktower, the Rumcake and Glassworks factories and to Snorkel Park.

We ate in Cagneys, Le Bistro, Aqua and the Venetian for dinner. We also had made to order pasta at the lunch buffet and while at sea, ate lunch in the Venetian. We had access to Aqua each morning for breakfast as we were in a balcony cabin (an aft 10230 - FANTASTIC!!!) but did get made to order waffles and omelets at the Garden Cafe.

All and all, this was my 5th time on the Dawn and I appreciated it more this time then the last 2 times. The changes in menu, food quality, bedding and staff made a huge difference. Will book the Dawn again very soon

Archived