1st time HAL please explain wine card

23bchhp

I don't know the brands used, but you can buy either 10-glass or 20-glass house wine cards that are punched for each use. The 10-glass card is $41.40 (including the 15% service charge) and the 20-glass is $77.63.

You can get Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel, or "sparkling". The quality is good enough for DW and me. :)

You can "share" a card - no limit on how many punches that can used at one time. Unused punches are not supposed to be "carried over" to another cruise, but some bar servers allow it.

You can pre-purchase them on-line, at Ship Services (800-541-1576), at any bar or dining room on board, and often in the terminal waiting room.

Without the wine card you can still buy wine by-the-glass starting at about $4.75 (not including the service charge).

Did I miss anything you wanted to know? :D

We are taking our first HAL next month. How does the wine card work.? What brands are offered? Can you purchase a single glass of wine at dinner?

John's explained all the details very well, so no point in repeating that part. The wine card comes in handy, but the wine isn't all that great. I have my "favorites," and prefer to bring our own on board and pay the $15 corkage fee in the dining room.

I'll throw a question out for the experts: Do any of the bars on board stock wines by the glass other than the ones offered with the wine card?

John's explained all the details very well, so no point in repeating that part. The wine card comes in handy, but the wine isn't all that great. I have my "favorites," and prefer to bring our own on board and pay the $15 corkage fee in the dining room.

I'll throw a question out for the experts: Do any of the bars on board stock wines by the glass other than the ones offered with the wine card?

Yes -- you can ask for specific brand of wine at the bars -- by the glass.

Just back off the Veendam and we did not use all our cards up and wine steward told us they would change in November and nor valid after that, but give it a try anyhow. Heard both stories of ok or not ok. Never know until you try. Some people leave them in the bible in the room. I even looked this past cruise to see if anyone was generous in the past. Not in our room anyways. Colakid.

23bchhp -

Regarding the wine card - I understand if you buy the card on board (instead of on-line) the bar staff member you purchase it from will receive the gratuity - just a suggestion... have a great cruise!

My understanding is different. My understanding is that all beverage service charges are pooled, which makes sense to me since the chance of being served by the person selling the card is unlikely.

My last wine card was a 20 glass. I have used it on 3 different ships.

I generally give a dollar to the server when I give him the card.

I take alot of wine on board, but like the wine card when I am up on deck

or in one of the bars.

Greg.

This info was given to me via Neptune Lounge staff - even so if pooling is indeed the case than the purchase on board would be better than on-line correct?
I was told by a wine steward on the Zuiderdam that the service charges for all beverage cards are pooled among all the bar staff, no matter where the card is purchased, so it makes absolutely no difference to them.

This pooling is the reason that HAL (and the crew) does not want the cards to be carried-forward, as the ship that sold it receives the service charge money, and subsequent ships get nothing.

We always get a wine card on line prior to cruising and always find it waiting in our cabin for us. I usually let the wine steward pick my wine and I have always been pleased. He told us if we didn't like it we could try something else but it never happened. Saves $$ too

Originally the person you purchased the wine card from got the majority of the 15% gratuity.

BUT -- about 1 1/2 years ago -- it was changed.

Now it all goes into a pool.

I had asked our conceirge just for confirmation when we bought a wine card at dinner on one cruise and he told us that he no longer carried them but had to go to a bar to get us one. He explained that he no longer got the bigger % of the gratuity but that it went into a pool.

Just what do they mean by sparkling? Anyone tried? Does that mean I can have a mimosa at breakfast? :p

According to "proper European wine Ettiquette" the only wines that can be labeled as Champagne come from the Champagne region of France. All other bubblies are "sparkling wines" or wines produced using the methods originally developed in the Champagne region. If you want a Mimosa, the easiest way is to roll your own. Order a sparklie and a glass of OJ and go for it.

Archived