OBC with 75 days of departure?

cruisin_rn

OK everyone I have never gotten an OBC so I spotted where the price had gone down on my cabin catagory so I called my TA to see about getting credit. She called Carnival and was told that since we were within the penalty phase (75 days prior to sailing) that I was not eligible for the credit. I would just like to know is this accurate or have I been given a line? Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. My cruise is in 32 days

OK everyone I have never gotten an OBC so I spotted where the price had gone down on my cabin catagory so I called my TA to see about getting credit. She called Carnival and was told that since we were within the penalty phase (75 days prior to sailing) that I was not eligible for the credit. I would just like to know is this accurate or have I been given a line? Thanks in advance for your help.

I use Carnival not a TA and they gave me a nice OBC within the penalty phase. I was 66 days out.

Your TA will get a lower commission if the price is dropped and you receive OBC, but as far as Carnival being unwilling to, to me that is bogus.

I just sailed on Sept. 8th and received an upgrade and two OBC's all within a couple weeks of our departure. The first one they had to honor because it was within 24 hours of booking, but the second was a courtesy upgradea and OBC -- which they aren't required to do, but Carnival has always been very good at this.

Some have said that Carnival will only do one adjustment during the "penalty phase", but if you haven't had any OBC done yet, then I think it is a matter of your TA not wanting to do it, as opposed to Carnival refusing to do so.

MeThinks your TA isn't trying very hard. Carnival has lately been resistant to credits in that final mPhase, but usually gives in if you persist. One advantage of booking thru Carnival PVP seems to be that you have a better shot at price reductions and obc's/upgrades. ken

I called Carnival twice in 2 days just this past week and got OBC each time for our 11-1 Cruise. Each time was extremely easy, I just had to mention what I was calling about, and they said "No Problem, let me look it up", then a minute later "Yes, you'll get $xxx in OBC for this cruise, is there anything else I can help you with"

This was just calling customer service at Carnival, not even going to a PVP, they were very accomodating.

When I booked with Carnival direct I got an OBC 25 days out but this time we booked with a TA and I was given the same story as you when we found that our cruise dropped $120.00 p/p. They didn't want to take the lower commission so they said it was within the penalty phase. It's the TA handing you a line. From now on I will always book with Carnival direct.

I called my TA last night and she said that according to my category there was not a price decrease. Can I go around my TA and call Carnival myself?

No, Carnival won't talk to you if you are not booked directly through them. However, you can go to the carnival website, look up your cruise as if you were going to book it today, use the dp3 (past guest) code, and then see for yourself if there is a discount lower than what you paid. If there is, print the page out and take it or fax it to your TA. Don't forget, if you paid less than 9.00 per day fuel surcharge, then your fuel surcharge will go up but in my case it was ok and I still saved 161 bucks.

Thanks everyone so far for your help! I plan to call my TA tomorrow and let her know what I have learned and see where that gets me. I think after this experience I will book only with a PVP. I will keep you posted.

Make sure you mention to your TA that everyone on CruiseCritic is getting OBC after final payment phase.

Usually that will get them to try a little harder as they know that you know what the actual policy is.

Good Luck

Bill

No, Carnival won't talk to you if you are not booked directly through them. However, you can go to the carnival website, look up your cruise as if you were going to book it today, use the dp3 (past guest) code, and then see for yourself if there is a discount lower than what you paid. If there is, print the page out and take it or fax it to your TA. Don't forget, if you paid less than 9.00 per day fuel surcharge, then your fuel surcharge will go up but in my case it was ok and I still saved 161 bucks.

Thanks I will check on that!

You need to explain to your TA that you "were not born yesterday, you may be blonde but not dumb", your TA should call Carnival and can include you on that call if you want.

I have gotten 2 price reductions, prior to penalty and 3 OBCs for our upcoming cruise Oct 19th. Never a problem. I always book directly with Carnival.

I am not knocking all TAs, there are some great ones out there however I do all the research and know what cabin I want so it makes sense for me to book directly.

I'm booked in a cat. 1A, single about 60 days from my Liberty cruise. There were two price drops in the last two weeks and each time I called my TA and got OBC, no problem. I now have $132.16 to enjoy:D , dont know where that 16 cents came from though!:confused:

My TA just told me the same thing - that Carnival wouldn't give it because of the penalty phase. The TA then talked to a Carnival Manager, and we were given the OBC. My question is how do they determine the amount of the OBC? My OBC doesn't match the price drop ie. the priced dropped 70 per person but I didn't get 70 times the number of people.

I would just like to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I called back my TA today and told her that I had talked to people of Cruise Critic and that I should be able to get an OBC for the price drop. I also told her that if Carnival was not able to do this to give me the name of the person she talked with and I would call them personally. So in about 10 minutes she called me back and told me that I would have a $284.00 OBC when we arrived on the ship! I am so excited and it is all thanks to everyone of you that has helped me out! That is just one of the reasons that I love cruise critic!

I would just like to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I called back my TA today and told her that I had talked to people of Cruise Critic and that I should be able to get an OBC for the price drop. I also told her that if Carnival was not able to do this to give me the name of the person she talked with and I would call them personally. So in about 10 minutes she called me back and told me that I would have a $284.00 OBC when we arrived on the ship! I am so excited and it is all thanks to everyone of you that has helped me out! That is just one of the reasons that I love cruise critic!

Congrats. Glad to hear that you got the credit.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Bill

I think your TA is full of crap. I'm 46 days to cruising with me as the cruise "leader" for the family. In the last week I have got $616 for an 8C, $439 for an 8C, moved two teens from me and my wife's balcony to across the hall to an inside cabin AND $160, move from 4A to 4D and $121. All these are OBC and if Carnival does the military freinds and family in November, I expect these numbers to GREATLY increase.

Archived