Island Cruises no more??

sw18

from travelmole.

Questionmark over Island Cruises brand

The future of the Island Cruises brand hangs in doubt after half shareholder TUI UK agreed to buy out joint partner Royal Caribbean.

One of the joint venture’s two ships – Island Escape – is to be retained by TUI while the second – Island Star – will be returned to Royal Caribbean.

The US cruise company said it would “recognise a small gain” on the sale of its interest in Island Cruises and the early termination of the Island Star charter.

Royal Caribbean plans to redeploy the Island Star to its Spanish brand Pullmantur Cruises.

"Redeploying the Island Star to our expanding Pullmantur fleet allows us to better serve the strategically important Spanish market," said the line's chairman and and chief executive Richard Fain.

Island Cruises’ managing director Patrick Ryan is to leave the company at Christmas. The future of the rest of the Island Cruises staff has not yet been determined.

TUI UK director of cruising David Selby is to lead a review of the integrated business, according to a letter to staff.

But cruise agents speculated that the Island Cruises brand would not be retained as TUI’s Thomson Cruises seeks to attract more older, higher spending passengers rather than cost conscious first-timers which were Island’s stock in trade.

Island has carved a niche out alongside Carnival UK’s two-ship Ocean Village brand for offering quality, casual Mediterranean fly-cruises in the summer and Caribbean in the winter to travellers who have not experienced cruise holidays before.

But it had become known in the trade for deep discounting particularly in the shoulder seasons.

The deal means that Island Escape will continue to operate its published itineraries in Brazil this winter and from Palma for next summer.

Island Star will operate its Caribbean itineraries under the Island Cruises banner this winter until it is returned to Celebrity on April 6, 2009.

Thomson Cruises currently operates a fleet of five ships, and had planned to reduce to four next year.

But TUI UK & Ireland managing director Dermot Blastland said: “It is our intention to integrate Island Escape into this established fleet.

“The Island Escape will, therefore, continue to deliver the same exceptional value for money cruise product within Thomson Cruises.”

The statement does not make it clear what happens to the Island Cruises staff other than saying that Ryan has “decided to persue his career outside of Island Cruises” and is to stay on until Christmas to support the transition.

Fain said: "We thank TUI for their efforts and cooperation throughout the life of the joint venture. Island Cruises has been a rewarding investment for us, but over the past year our priorities have shifted.

"We believe by focusing on developing and expanding the Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises brands in the UK we will be better able to serve our customers and create value for our shareholders.

"This belief has been strengthened by the success of the inaugural season of Independence of the Seas, which has served the U.K. market from Southampton since it entered service in May 2008.”

Hi UKG,

Yes, must admit that is my concern. It will certainly be interesting how the staff will be on both our caribbean cruises. My concern from what I read is that Pulmantur is mainly for Spanish passengers (although they are supposed to be trying to get a wider market) and I doubt if alot of the present staff on the Star speak Spanish, so does that mean they will try and leave soon?

Oh well, time will tell but hopefully they will be keen to impress their new owners.

Steve

Hi,

Basically, if you are on the Star then your cruise is cancelled I'm afraid. This is from the Island Cruise's website:

If you reserved your cruise with a travel agent, they’ll contact you within 14 days to talk you through the options and to help arrange an alternative cruise holiday. And if you booked direct with Island Cruises - either over the phone or on the internet – we’ll get in touch as soon as we can. Don’t worry if you don’t hear from us straight away, it could take up to 21 days, so please bear with us.

If your cruise is booked after 26th of March 2009 and it's onboard the Island Star you won't be going. Thomson will most probably offer you a cruise on the Thomson Destiny in the Caribbean. I would look into the different style of crusing Thomson offer and the quality of ship in comparison to the Island Star you will be getting, also be price savvy - Thomson discount BIG!

We are yet to find out the redeployment plans of the Island Escape. I am really unsure if she will be able to cut it in the Caribbean, the Thomson Destiny is pushing it. Perhaps the Island will be left in the Med. leaving the Spirit or Celebration to be positioned elsewhere.

Hi UKG,

Yes, must admit that is my concern. It will certainly be interesting how the staff will be on both our caribbean cruises. My concern from what I read is that Pulmantur is mainly for Spanish passengers (although they are supposed to be trying to get a wider market) and I doubt if alot of the present staff on the Star speak Spanish, so does that mean they will try and leave soon?

Oh well, time will tell but hopefully they will be keen to impress their new owners.

Steve

The English speaking staff will most probably be redeployed within the RCI brands and Spanish speaking staff from Spain & South America will be loaded onto the Star. The Island Star fits perfectly within the Pullmantur brand joining the other ex-Celebrity and Costa ships.

Thank you for your replies. I booked it direct with Island cruises ( deposit paid only ) so I will await some form of reply/offer in due course.

Only booked this morning my first ever cruise.

It is on the Island Escape on "Mediterranean Discovery" sailing for 28th Oct 08.

At least that's going !

Presumebly the Star will be sent to RC french brand: Croisieres de France, to replace the Blue de France former Holiday Dream, former Europa.

I am sure there will be more candidates to be scrapped in Pullmantur: Oceanic, Sky Wonder, which is having lots of problems this summer, and may be Ocean Dream.

Although some website have announced the ship under the french company, let´s wait and see.

Absolutely gutted about this! Have been on both the Escape and Star many times and whilst we do like the charm of the Escape, The Star is in a different league! I think they're making a big mistake!

what does that mean about the STar being in a different league - is that good ??

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Star in July and as it is an old "Celebrity " ship the finish is lovely on it as Celebrity is the higher level of Royal Caribbean, Hubby and I really enjoyed the star and planned to go again on it and are disappointed about whats happened. I don't know what the cruise line will be like but I have spoken to other cruisers who have travelled on "Costa" (Italian) and they say that announcements were in Intalian, German, French and then English, in that order. That would just finish me! I don't know if a Spanish line would be the same. Imagine playing Bingo!!

Jane

• 2 weeks later...

I'm booked on the Island Star for the Caribbean 2009, which is still to be operated. I'm very concerned that staff will be demotivated and no investment will have gone into the ship since the sell-off. I would rather cancel, but would lose my deposit. I think the law on passengers rights when companies are taken over/sell out should be reviewed, at the end of the day I'm not going to be cruising with the company I booked with.

• 2 months later...

I was booked on Island Escape for 27th October 09 to West Med, we were told it was cancelled last week with no other offers, as we got freeAI and cabin upgrade as we booked early - was not happy!!! :(

However yesterday i recieved a phonecall from Thompson explaining Island Cruises had been in touch and due to so many complaints have now been offered 2 alternatives - stright swaps

Now we still goin gon Island escape but now got a 10 night cruise to spain, morrocco, lanzarote, casablanca etc for same price on same date, -we well chuffed now, and they honouring the AI and cabin upgrade!!

Anyone else on this????

• 1 month later...
I was booked on Island Escape for 27th October 09 to West Med, we were told it was cancelled last week with no other offers, as we got freeAI and cabin upgrade as we booked early - was not happy!!! :(

However yesterday i recieved a phonecall from Thompson explaining Island Cruises had been in touch and due to so many complaints have now been offered 2 alternatives - stright swaps

Now we still goin gon Island escape but now got a 10 night cruise to spain, morrocco, lanzarote, casablanca etc for same price on same date, -we well chuffed now, and they honouring the AI and cabin upgrade!!

Anyone else on this????

Glad they got you sorted in the end. When it happened to us with Island Star for this April we had a letter from them with all the info for a refund or booking an alternative cruise

Archived