San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua - Tours?

hewoallan

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what ship you are on, but if they offer a tour to Grenada, the Spanish Colonial City and the Volcano, I would take it. The country is beautiful and most of the people I met were nice, but it is a VERY 3rd world country. If you have a problem with seeing poverty, stay on the ship. The roads are bad, the living conditions are bad, the prices are good at the market in Grenada (local crafts such as pottery, wooden bowls and the Rum made in Nicaragua), don't drink the water, beware of uncooked food. This is the place to shop if you find something you want. The prices are great and these people need your money! Unless you get a great reference from a couple of people for local tour operators, go with the ship. I would not travel here on my own. I have done it in many other countries, but I wouldn't do it here.

We were there in Jan on Windstar. Our guide for the all day tour (it was a long day)was probably the best tour guide we've ever had.(and we have traveled alot) He spoke perfect English and told us about his life and growing up during the era of problems between the US and his country.

I would take that tour again if I returned.

Have a great trip and I hope I helped you with your plans. I'll be glad to answer any other questions.

Archived