New TA rule

firefly333

I have some booked Carnival cruises and the next cruise on Ecstasy the rate went down and I wanted to ask again about upgrading to a better cabin.

I was told that once you make final payment nothing they will do about getting you a reduction. I said wait a minute. My final payment date isnt yet, I just happened to pay early. They said that doesnt make any difference. huh?

New rule in place there is a $25 per person charge now for a change. I said this rule wasnt in place when I booked this cruise, you implemented it when I booked the conquest for sept 09 (booked the crazies date thru them and thats when they mentioned it, at the end of the call). So now it applies to previously booked cruises, they can add rules after you booked not in place when you booked.

Just a warning. My price has dropped $60, and they just are offering me a switch one deck, category above for the money. I called asking for a window for the money. (the price with a window is $10 more, which I cant pay unless I pay the new fuel, but I can switch to a cabin the same price without a window on a higher deck they said Carnival said)

Im about thinking of telling them they can cancel so I can start again too. I dont see how you can add fees that apply to previously booked cruises, thats what Carnival did about fuel and had to remove it from already booked cruises. TA rep is emailing her supervisor about charging me the change fee.

Watch out for those TA fees folks. Cant say who Im using but its a pretty well known TA many are using.

Interesting huh? Just letting already booked folks know if they booked thru a TA they might run into this. Another rep at the same TA didnt mention any of this, seems to be rep by rep.

I said if not, then just give me the price drop.

Sorry about that, firefly. So, are they going to give you the price drop?

Nope, I got bumped up a category/so a higher deck. Rep says XXXX, oops almost said the TA name, doesnt want to refare it and Carnival doesnt want to refare it, its take it or leave it, you can have the deck upgrade, but not the cabin that costs $10 more pp. Its too much work once its paid in full because commissions have been already paid and figured out.

Dont pay your final payment early. Who knew?

My other choice is to totally cancel and start again. Im still before final payment so there would be no penalty. The cruise isnt until Jan 24th 09. If I booked again, I probably wouldnt book this cruise at all. Id want to drive to FL and get to diamond on RCL to be honest, not rebook a Carnival cruise.

Just a warning about paying off a cruise before final payment is due.

Well, I can wait and watch and maybe those window cabins will keep dropping until I can talk them into one.

I have some booked Carnival cruises and the next cruise on Ecstasy the rate went down and I wanted to ask again about upgrading to a better cabin.

I was told that once you make final payment nothing they will do about getting you a reduction. I said wait a minute. My final payment date isnt yet, I just happened to pay early. They said that doesnt make any difference. huh?

New rule in place there is a $25 per person charge now for a change. I said this rule wasnt in place when I booked this cruise, you implemented it when I booked the conquest for sept 09 (booked the crazies date thru them and thats when they mentioned it, at the end of the call). So now it applies to previously booked cruises, they can add rules after you booked not in place when you booked.

Just a warning. My price has dropped $60, and they just are offering me a switch one deck, category above for the money. I called asking for a window for the money. (the price with a window is $10 more, which I cant pay unless I pay the new fuel, but I can switch to a cabin the same price without a window on a higher deck they said Carnival said)

Im about thinking of telling them they can cancel so I can start again too. I dont see how you can add fees that apply to previously booked cruises, thats what Carnival did about fuel and had to remove it from already booked cruises. TA rep is emailing her supervisor about charging me the change fee.

Watch out for those TA fees folks. Cant say who Im using but its a pretty well known TA many are using.

Interesting huh? Just letting already booked folks know if they booked thru a TA they might run into this. Another rep at the same TA didnt mention any of this, seems to be rep by rep.

I had the same problem last year when I booked through a very well known TA to this site. The price went down after final payment and when I noticed a price drop I called them and they said since it was booked prior to that price drop I could not get the credit. The year before I booked with a PVP (which I always have done before--I had a brain fart last year) and was able to get price drops right up to the day of sailing. I learned that very valuable lesson and will likely never use a TA again. PVPs just seem to be able to get the discounts after booking/payment/final payment that TAs can't. I'm not sure why.

Commissions are not paid to the TA until after you cruise. The only exception would be if the TA paid the cruiseline directly from their account. Then the commissions are withheld from the payment. This only occurs when you are paying the TA by check or cash. If you paid by CC, then you paid the cruiseline directly. They in turn send the TA the commission.

Not all TA's charge a change fee. Mine does not. She also waives the cancellation fee for me.

Dave

I had the same problem last year when I booked through a very well known TA to this site. The price went down after final payment and when I noticed a price drop I called them and they said since it was booked prior to that price drop I could not get the credit. The year before I booked with a PVP (which I always have done before--I had a brain fart last year) and was able to get price drops right up to the day of sailing. I learned that very valuable lesson and will likely never use a TA again. PVPs just seem to be able to get the discounts after booking/payment/final payment that TAs can't. I'm not sure why.

I knew about the new rule they added, $25 pp for changes or cancellations, added after I made this booking btw, but this is a new one on me. That since I paid off this cruise early (I paid it off when I paid off the Conquest, 9/7 cruise, the one Ike hit our cars), which I also paid off early, thinking Id get the payment out of the way. Who knew it would come back to bite me.

I had heard some folks here post that if you are past final payment Carnival told them only one price drop, but this is the first time I was told I was past final payment because I made the payment early.

I wouldnt give my money early to the cruiseline again lol. I should have made the subject line, "dont pay off your cruise early". This is for a cruise late Jan btw, so on a 5 day cruise, I dont think final payment date is until 60 days before the cruise?

Its not a huge deal to me either way, just more a curiosity. I also probably have it in the back of my head, the price may drop that extra $10 for a 5A or $20 the current price jump to a 6A. Ill just call them again!!! lol. Never say never.

Good warning. When you book with a TA (or even directly with the cruiseline/airline/whatever) make sure to print out all the terms and conditions or at least save them to your computer.

The TA is not saying that these rules were in place when I booked, they are saying if I make a change to my booking, its a new booking so the new rules affect me (I hadnt thought of it like that, so maybe they have a point?). They said they probably could get the new $25 pp fee waived.

This TA also did not have any change or cancel fees when this cruise was booked.

I was thinking about moving my booking to a TA and getting a couple of minor freebies, but it just isn't worth it, to me.

And I'm one who never, ever, ever, ever pays for anything one day earlier than I need to. Never, ever. No one is getting my money until I absolutely have to have it pried out of my account!

When I make final payment on Fascination (due 10/14) I thought about having them add prepaid gratuities. And then I thought, why in the world would I want to pay that extra $100 two months early? No way!

I'm even thinking about asking for the price drop which, when offset by the rise in fuel surcharge from $5 to $9, would amount to a whopping $10! Total! Not that the $10 means anything to me, but it's just that I've never had the price of a cruise drop a dime, so I feel like I should request the change, just because I can! I may even start a thread just to brag that I got a price drop! :p

Your answer is in your header.

New TA rule - rule = New TA:)

Dan

I stopped using a TA for the very reason that I was not getting any service from them. I got a runaround answer like your TA gave you once. That is all I needed to stop using a TA. I can achieve as much booking directly with Carnival and I always have gotten prompt responses to any questions or issues I have had.

Doc:D

The TA is not saying that these rules were in place when I booked, they are saying if I make a change to my booking, its a new booking so the new rules affect me (I hadnt thought of it like that, so maybe they have a point?). They said they probably could get the new $25 pp fee waived.

That's BS. Don't let them push you around like that. You booked under a set of rules that says no change fees. Hold them to it.

Don't waste your time dealing with the muckety-mucks either, escalate this to management.

That's BS. Don't let them push you around like that. You booked under a set of rules that says no change fees. Hold them to it.

Don't waste your time dealing with the muckety-mucks either, escalate this to management.

She was asking her supervisor via email while I was holding. What seems odd to me is they could change me to another inside but not to a OV, isnt the change from one inside category to another a booking change too? It just wasnt extra money so they did it since they didnt have to refigure the price.

Its not worth fighting about. Im still not sure after my Sept 7th cruise on Conquest when Ike hit, I want to rebook with Carnival. Im in a watch and wait stage, just doing the cruises already booked. After Triumph, which is all the way out in Dec 09, I may not rebook with Carnival. We will see how the next cruises are. It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers, and this isnt enough, just enough to let others know their TA could do this too.

Im pretty ambivalent about Carnival right now, and picking my fights carefully, this one isnt worth fighting for. Still dealing with Allstate to get a check for my drowned car is enough to deal with. I just hoped they would let me upgrade, but alas, not if it costs more, oh well, not a biggie. Im concentrating my efforts to Allstate, picking my battles. Just letting folks know that fees addd after your booking could apply if you CHANGE the booking. If you keep the price the same its ok.

Nope, I got bumped up a category/so a higher deck. Rep says XXXX, oops almost said the TA name, doesnt want to refare it and Carnival doesnt want to refare it, its take it or leave it, you can have the deck upgrade, but not the cabin that costs $10 more pp. Its too much work once its paid in full because commissions have been already paid and figured out.

Dont pay your final payment early. Who knew?

My other choice is to totally cancel and start again. Im still before final payment so there would be no penalty. The cruise isnt until Jan 24th 09. If I booked again, I probably wouldnt book this cruise at all. Id want to drive to FL and get to diamond on RCL to be honest, not rebook a Carnival cruise.

Be careful doing that. When I tried to do it, I found out my travel agent charges a $100.00 cancellation fee. Yes, it is not Carnival, RCL or NCL, but the actual travel agency, of course I did not know it when I booked, but it is somewhere on the bottom their invoice. (Very fine print). No more TA bookings for us, I will use a PVP from now on.

I stopped using a TA for the very reason that I was not getting any service from them. I got a runaround answer like your TA gave you once. That is all I needed to stop using a TA. I can achieve as much booking directly with Carnival and I always have gotten prompt responses to any questions or issues I have had.

Doc:D

I agree with you 110% - no more travel agent for our bookings either. I recently found out that our TA charges $100.00 cancellation fee, even if you have not made final payment yet. It applies any time after you give your deposit. The $100.00 are not a fee assesed by the cruise lines, but by the travel agency. Sad!

Since we cruise at least two or three times a year, and we usually book more than one cabin per cruise (kids, mom, sister, etc), I believe the TA will eventually come out losing more than us!

Firefly-

Just a thought here. Maybe your TA had a block of rooms for a group cruise and the rates were lower than the CCL site says and added you onto that group. In that case there may not be any more OV cabins available. That would explain the charge for the deck change and not being able to change you from an inside to an OV.

sayin' it isn't so... many t/a's receive commission once the booking is paid in full.... that's why it can be so long getting a refund when you cancel in Carnival's penalty period... they have to wait for the travel agent to return commission

Firefly-

Just a thought here. Maybe your TA had a block of rooms for a group cruise and the rates were lower than the CCL site says and added you onto that group. In that case there may not be any more OV cabins available. That would explain the charge for the deck change and not being able to change you from an inside to an OV.

Nope, got the price off the Carnival site and called my TA with it. They dont actually show individual cruise prices on their site, its a shopping warehouse type place that you pay $50 to join for a year. I didnt pay my dues for next year, they dont seem to care, they booked another cruise (long story but RCL onboard agent put nextcruise in their name so I had to use them ... again .... or it would have been a hassle with crown and anchor to fix).

A lot here use this TA because they discount Carnival cruises by 10% and give OBC for RCL cruises. Until they added the new fees they were a good deal to me. I actually joined this warehouse just to book cruises with, more so than to shop, but we like to shop there too, just not $50 worth.

First time Iv ever had a issue with them to be honest was this cruise because of the price dropping and me paying early. Iv been satisfied otherwise up until now.

It may very well be the block of rooms thing. In 2004 I went on a group cruise where the T.A. swore she could not get us an ocean view for 3. This was on Monarch of the Seas. When we saw our room it really was a closet. LOL. Luckliy the ship was not sold out and we were able to upgrade to obstructed ocean view by going back out on the pier....

and our friend were able to upgrade as well. So obviously the ship was not sold out...

Tom in Long Beach....

Please don't lump all TA's in the same file. Not all charge a change fee.

Of course, each time you make a change, especially if it is a price reduction, it cuts into what the TA is paid for the worth they have done for you for the cruise. I know I have seen my pay for a cruise drop from $75 to $25 many times, because of price reductions that have come along, and each time the client has called for that reduction.

Commissions are not paid to the TA until after you cruise. The only exception would be if the TA paid the cruiseline directly from their account. Then the commissions are withheld from the payment. This only occurs when you are paying the TA by check or cash. If you paid by CC, then you paid the cruiseline directly. They in turn send the TA the commission.

Not all TA's charge a change fee. Mine does not. She also waives the cancellation fee for me.

Dave

With the exception of group bookings, cruise lines forward commission to the agency of record once final payment has been made.

I'm cruising in 24 days. I saw my cruise price dropped about $20 p.p. Now I've been paid in full for months. I dropped a quick email to my TA mentioning this. Within 5 minutes I had a 1 cat upgrade to an extended Balcony. If you do the right research when picking out your TA and saving $5 isn't always the priority, you can come out way ahead when the situation arises.

Mark

Archived