Pacific Dawn vs Sun Princess

For those of you who have travelled on both ships, which is better? If neither is actually better than the other, what does one ship offer that perhaps the other doesn't offer? We're considering whether to go on the Sun Princess or take another cruise on the Pacific Dawn, and seeing Sun Princess is slightly dearer, I'd like to know what I'm paying extra for.

Also I'm guessing, but could be wrong, that Pacific Dawn caters better for kids. My kids will be 15 and 12 when we go.

Thanks,

Maria:)

We've sailed both (Pacific Dawn was still Regal Princess).

Sun Princess, being newer and a logical progression in design, has perhaps few more "bells and whistles".

We think both ships very nice, and really very comparable.

Both of them are better riders in heavy seas than the newer Grand class and modified Grand class ships, in my opinion.

Hi there, we have been on both ships, and both have good points. plenty of space to walk around.

although cabins on the Sun Princess are smaller.

for the kids ...there are always more children each cruise with P&O, and the kids clubs are great. I always go to their concerts...and thoroughly enjoy myself.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Curious to know which cabins don't have fridges on the Pacific Dawn. I was talking to a lady on our last cruise and she said she didn't have a fridge in her room but when I asked her did she check by opening the wooden door at the end of the cupboard, she hadn't, and later thanked me for telling her where to find it. I've been in three different cabins and they all had fridges.

Itineraries - that isthe biggest difference.

Pacific Dawn cruises almost exclusively to SW Pacific Islands, where Sun Princess does only a few there each year. On these few xmas holiday cruises that SP does to the islands, the ship is loaded with kids of all ages and the kids clubs are similar on both. The other SP itineraries have an older crowd, with less families aboard.

SP has loads of 3 berth cabins, and not many 4 berth. If travelling as a trio, there are many cruises that are better priced on SP. PD is dominated with 4 berth cabins and the prices are better for families of 4.

Read the brochures regarding dining options. SP has many more options included in the fare - including 24hr buffet, 24hr room service, pizza, ondeck snacks.

Auto tips on SP/DP are $2.50 dearer pp 13+ each day. For the OP's family, that is $7.50 per day, but optional. All beverages on Princess have 15% added - and this is not optional.

Pacific Dawn has fridges in ALL cabins. Pacific Sun only has fridges in the suites, as did Pacific Star when here.

The ships are similar in many ways. I figure the time and itinerary are the most important when choosing between the 2 ships.

Curious to know which cabins don't have fridges on the Pacific Dawn. I was talking to a lady on our last cruise and she said she didn't have a fridge in her room but when I asked her did she check by opening the wooden door at the end of the cupboard, she hadn't, and later thanked me for telling her where to find it. I've been in three different cabins and they all had fridges.

As far as I know, all of Pacific Dawn's cabins have bar fridges.

I have just got off the Sun Princess from a 75 day cruise. The ship itself has major plumbing problems. The ladies toilets one day were all out of order on the complete side of the ship - only the odd ladies in thre Vista was open as it was on the usual mens side.

The water pipes were springing leaks regularly - I had 5 couples as friends I knew personally who were soaked in their cabins (one in the middle of the night and the row of 5 cabins where they were, were affected) and had to have their clothes laundered and dried (they did get a bottle of wine to compensate them)!

When the ladies toilets were open for use there were out of oder signs on the odd loo and some of the basins as the taps were difficult to get spares for.

The smell outside the Wheelhouse bar (inside the actual ship) was awful more like sewage than bilge and there were often air driers for the wet carpets blocking the way so you had to use the other side to get through to ther other end of the ship.

I know she is old but she does need some major work done before her next long vorage.

We have booked on the Dawn Princess next as she is 4 years younger and hope there are no problems with her.:eek:

We have booked on the Dawn Princess next as she is 4 years younger and hope there are no problems with her.:eek:

I hope the toilets are not clogged for your cruise too. The unavoidable smell would be a horrible on a long cruise.

Often these problems are caused by improper objects being flushed, or could it be the rich food from the dining room.:eek: Maybe Kenny can save the day. Problem also happens on the brand new ships too.

Sun Princess was launched in late 1995, Dawn Princess in 1997.

the only thing I didn't like about the SP was its all traditional dining but the dining rooms weren't designed to fit that many people so they are chockers - more like a Coles caffeteria but that was our only complaint. - mummsie

windsor26 was there ANYTHING you liked about SP?

It was a very enjoyable cruise but I was replying to a question from someone and gave an unblinkered reply and tell it warts and all

If you would like to hear about the 75 day cruise go to roll call sun princess - 265 days to go.... and I did a diary:p

Archived