Cruising without a Toddler

Jen105

Ok, so I understand that this forum is for family cruising but it seemed like the best place to ask for help on this so here goes...

DH and I are planning to take a 5 night cruise without our 3yo DD. It will be the first time we've went away for more than 1 night and left her with Grandma. I am super nervous:o . Anybody have any advice or tips on vacationing without the "baby"?

Ok, so I understand that this forum is for family cruising but it seemed like the best place to ask for help on this so here goes...

DH and I are planning to take a 5 night cruise without our 3yo DD. It will be the first time we've went away for more than 1 night and left her with Grandma. I am super nervous:o . Anybody have any advice or tips on vacationing without the "baby"?

My goodness.............lucky you to have a Grandma..............Go ....have a great time and reintroduce yourselves to each other...........you will have a very special time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DD will be just fine and perhaps a bit spoiled with Grandma treats etc. etc.

Grandma raised one of you! And, apparenty, did a fine job! This is a heaven-sent time to re-aquaint yourself with your spouse--not as a parent, but as a friend and lover. Make the most of this time. The child will be fine. She won't die, or suffer at all! I swear! You'd be surprised at how little this child will suffer while you're gone.

Remember, kids need to learn that changes happen, and that you WILL be back. She'll be fine, and so will you! Don't stress so much! Have a good time!

You've left your daughter with Gramma before and she did fine. Think of it this way......it will be a vacation for your daughter too! You and your husband will be reconnecting and your daughter will be having a blast with Gramma - making memories of her own.

I remember being left with my Gramma for long (4 day) weekends and not even wondering where Mom and Dad were.....I remember having fun with Gramma and doing things I didn't get to do at home; special Grammma/Granchild things like baking together, playing new games, going to new places, etc.

I truly believe you will miss her more than she misses you.....she will be happy to see you again, but she will have had a good time without you and will have memories of that special time.

DH and I took a kid-free cruise on our 10th anniversary. The kids (aged 2 and 4 at the time) spent the week with their grandparents. We were sooooo comfortable with leaving them there, that we didn't even blink twice at the fact that there was hurricane heading their way. Yep--they actually "rode out" a hurricane, which was downgraded to tropical storm while we were away. HeHeee!

Anyway, we help us get through the week without them, we took two framed photos of them and prominently displayed them on the cabin dresser. Then, while we were on-shore, we took a few photos of things we knew they would appreciate seeing: lizards, close-ups of flowers, turtles, etc. Throughout the week, we sent a few emails to them, describing the trip in funny "kid-speak".

Lastly, we brought them home some cool souvenirs.

Have fun!--CeleBrat

She will be fine. Grandma will have a great time spoiling her. And you will be able to relax and remember what it was like to be adults. :D

We did our first trip without the kids last year (went to Tampa for work) and the kids survived. Yes I missed them terriby. Yes I watched all of the other kids and thought "Hey wouldn't my kids have loved THAT". But we also got to go out with other adults...and we stayed out LATE. :eek: Something we haven't been able to do in years. ;)

You will have a great time! You trust who you are leaving your daughter with, and you deserve alone time if you want it.

On the practical side, make sure you have a notarized letter giving grandma permission to get DD medical treatment, and leave a copy of your insurance card. 1-in-a-million she would need them, but it's peace of mind, especially since it's hard to reach you on a ship. Write down your daughter's food and sleep schedule and ask grandma to stick to it as much as possible. Then it's easier to throw in fun outings or treats.

Something will always go not quite as planned. Second day of our cruise last year, our garage door completely broke, trapping my car! :eek: My BIL helped my mother get it fixed, but it took three days. Meanwhile, she drove DH's truck, which we had luckily left the keys to. Nothing you could plan for.

You will have an awesome time if you think of it as a vacation for your daughter too!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Grandma can handle it! She has done it before.

Let your baby have fun with grandma. Memories to cherish!

Don't give it a second thought...I wouldn't.

Ok, I would probably call home at least once but that would be just to make sure they were having fun. ;)

Cheryl

Enjoy your time together.......and....you will be together without the kids sooner that you think........about the time they anounce......mom and dad.....I need a car......:eek:

Drink

Gamble

Stay up LATE

Sleep in

See all the shows

Practice making another baby, LOTS

Have yourself some good old F-U-N

Remember....you are going to have the rest of your 18 odd years to be a parent...no reason to feel guilty for 5 measly nights!

Archived