How Formal

ScotFi

:D Hi

Have recently returned from a Caribbean cruise on RCI Enchantment of the Seas. We are looking to book for next year and wondering how formal P&O is in comparison. Also wondered if there is a mixed age group or if it appeals to specific ages. Thinking of a med cruise around Aug/Sept and wondering what others experience has been regarding the weather at that time.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Scotfi:)

P&O is quite formal. I haven't been on RCI so I can't compare. However I can say that on the Ventura cruise I've just come off, the dress code of the day was observed almost 100%. That included children as well, btw - at the very least the boys (even young ones, e.g. 4 and 5 year olds) were in smart clothes for formal and semi-formal nights and the little girls were dressed up in very pretty 'girly'-type outfits. It might be a bit more relaxed in high summer (specifically, during school holidays), but don't count on it.

So I would say that P&O does formal, in a big way; if you prefer informal then you might not feel comfortable.

How did you feel about the code on Enchantment of the Seas? And would you be cruising with school-aged children?

Hi

Felt the Enchantment gives choice of formal or not. Had planned to do the formal night. Unfortunately the other half of our company had sent clothes to be pressed and they did not come back in time.

Men were suited and ladies were in evening dresses mostly there were some peole who wore smart casual which would have been our choice.

We had our grandson with us on this cruise who is 7 but will not have children with us next time.

Scotfi

Hi

Felt the Enchantment gives choice of formal or not. Had planned to do the formal night. Unfortunately the other half of our company had sent clothes to be pressed and they did not come back in time.

Men were suited and ladies were in evening dresses mostly there were some peole who wore smart casual which would have been our choice.

We had our grandson with us on this cruise who is 7 but will not have children with us next time.

Scotfi

Hi ScotFi

On a P&O 2 week cruise to the Med you would have 4 formal and 5/6 informal ie shirt jacket tie slacks or a lounge suit. This would be observed by 99% of the passengers. They do not have a restaurant which is casual at all times.

On formal nights 95% of men will wear DJ's. The ladies will all be stunning.

If this is not to your liking then perhaps P&O may not for you although certainly most people you talk to get a terrific buzz from the formal atmosphere, with 2000 people dressed up to the nines.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We found P&O a little more formal than Carnival but there were only 4 formal nights on our 2 week cruise so as long as you have a good suit and dress shirt you will be fine.

I found on the formal nights 100% of the people dressed up. It was the informal and casual nights where the dress code varried a bit but I think this was more down to confusion over what you were supposed to wear more than lack of effort.

In general I found the atmosphere very friendly on P&O there were a few miserable people who obviously just enjoyed being sour faced but on the whole the P&O crowd were superb fun in any dress code.

Chris

""In general I found the atmosphere very friendly on P&O there were a few miserable people who obviously just enjoyed being sour faced but on the whole the P&O crowd were superb fun in any dress code.

Chris""

Chris I am so glad you posted that. Cruising is great fun and you have hit the nail on the head with regards to the general atmosphere on board. (Ignore the miserable ONE or TWO) ;-)

'That' is why I have abandoned another site, it bears no reflection on cruising with all it's whinging and moaning.

Mike

We just had a great time, we were 23 when we did our first cruise and on our table at dinner the age range went from us at 23 to a couple in their late 70's. We were really nervous the first night but had a fantastic time with Dinner being the highlight of everyday.

Cruising really is for everyone it does not matter how old or young you are you meet great people who love seeing the world and having a good time. For me its what life is all about.

I am glad the dress code is there as I think people are more in the mood to party if they have taken time to dress up and think about their appearence. Its not something to get hung up about though as everyone is in the same boat :D :)

Chris

Was concerned at the beginning regarding the weight restrictions only 23 kilo’s so I decided that I would only take a day suit and a bow tie, but now having read some of these threads regarding formal dress etc I think I will just have to take my DJ and not take so many items of daywear and hit the launderette.

I have also decided to take number of old tee shirts and shorts, which are up for replacement and leave them behind.

We enjoy the formal side of the cruise as it gives us a chance to dress up which i wouldn,t normally do.

We are in our late 30,s and found the age range to be mixed, we also take 2 children and they have a great time in the clubs,

Weather should be great in Aug/Sept

We went in Sept and it was lovely and hot.

not take so many items of daywear and hit the launderette.

I have also decided to take number of old tee shirts and shorts, which are up for replacement and leave them behind.

Good idea but a shame as, on average, most people will have, and enjoy wearing, a variety of day wear. Even so we usually finihs up with an unused day shirt for the journey home notwithstanding having used the laundrette.

The old t-shirt/shorts bit is ideal if you are planning a number of beach/snorkel trips as we are. Not too old though as you don't want the bottom to drop out too soon like it has in the market :D

The old t-shirt/shorts bit is ideal if you are planning a number of beach/snorkel trips as we are. Not too old though as you don't want the bottom to drop out too soon like it has in the market :D

PN

PN,

I will hopefully also be spending most of my time in the sea when in port, so a majority of my clothing will be for the evenings

I promise that any items I take will be reasonably decent and not overdue for recycling, but I am confident that I will not be a Barebadass in Barbados! That would be too cheeky.:eek:

Phil

Just to clarify for those new to P&O, if you are doing a 14 night Caribbean cruise you will have (on average) 4 formal nights and the rest will be smart casual.

If sailing round trip from Southampton then you will have an average of 4-5 formals, same number of semi formals and the remainder smart casual on a 14 night cruise (so maybe 4 formal, 5 semi formal and 5 smart casual)

Feebee_71 :)

Archived