Dining Alone on the Jewel

rubybc62

I'll be on the Jewel in November travelling alone for the first time. I have not noticed many singles in the dining rooms on previous cruises; seems to be mostly families, couples, groups etc.

I'd like to have dinners in the dining room instead of the buffet and am wondering if it is possible to request to be seated with other solo/single passengers. I don't mind sitting alone at all, but might not mind company either.

Would this request be acceptable and is it something that is commonly done?

We have always welcomed sitting with other singles, couples, etc.

Sometimes we introduce ourselves to others while in line. Ask where they are from, etc. If they are receptive to conversation while in line (you know, some give one word answers while others elaborate and seem receptive to making new friends) then we say "would you like to share?" We ended up meeting a vry nice couple who live about 30 minutes from us. We have kept in touch since.

thanks for posting this and i will be eager to read a post. i will be doing the same thing on the pearl and since this is my first freestyle i didnt know either how it would work. since everyone can dine when theiy want i am assuming they ask when you enter the dinning room if you want to be solo or paired up ?? and what if you are half wayi done eating and they seat someone with you. i think it is uncomfortable to eat infront of someone when they havent even ordered. lots of variables to think about here. i am like you and dont mind eating alone but i am happy to share a table with others. im sure both of us will be fine. :D

I'll be on the Jewel in November travelling alone for the first time. I have not noticed many singles in the dining rooms on previous cruises; seems to be mostly families, couples, groups etc.

I'd like to have dinners in the dining room instead of the buffet and am wondering if it is possible to request to be seated with other solo/single passengers. I don't mind sitting alone at all, but might not mind company either.

Would this request be acceptable and is it something that is commonly done?

This is very common. Even as a couple, we are asked if we want to be seated with others or dine alone. When you enter a main dining room, just request to be seated with someone. They will most likely be able to accomodate you. It may or may not be another single, it would depend on who has most recently been seated. If there is no option for you to sit with a single, you can request to wait for a bit if you like.

I would think for the specialty restaurants, it may be a bit more difficult to get the time you want depending on other singles reservations. You may need to be more flexible timewise.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Dusty -

From my experience when they seat a table that's it. For instance last year they seatde 5 of us at a table for 8. I asked if more would be joining us and the maitre D' said once the service begins they do not add people (except if it is a friend or relative and the request is made to have someone join an already established table). I am inquisitive because I went through a culinary/hospitality program in college and I am always wondering how things are done.

We were on the Jewel sailing the Baltic this August. When we were int he dining room, they never try to get us to share table nor put people in our table. In fact, I see The Tsar Palace has lots of smaller table.

As opposed to Princess Anytime Dining, where the matre'D was constantly trying to get us to share a table.

If they're very busy in the DR, the hostess might ask you if you'd like to share. Otherwise, you might have to initiate it.

I've sailed "solo" several times. One time I started a table and within 5 mins. 2 other couples joined me. Other times people from my roll call (go to the Meet & Greet!) asked me to join them. I've also organized CC group dinners and that's a great way to meet others and dine with others.

The specialties are a little different. You will not be asked to share and may, therefore, enjoy something like Teppanyaki where groups of 8 are seated together. Lots of conversation during the "show." Otherwise, in places like Cagney's or Le Bistro, you'll likely be alone.

Like Planer's Edge said, watch the freestyle daily particularly at the beg. of the cruise for "those travelling solo" events. They at least get together for a drink and often for dinner.

There's also a "solo" cruisers board here at CC. Lots of useful tips about this topic. On our Gem TA last Dec. there were lots of singles (mainly because NCL offered solo fares w/no supplement:D).

Have fun!

whoever got this benefit really got lucky. i paid 200% for my alaska cruise. i am not questioning, you but i have read over and over that ncl is strictly 200% for solos. :confused:

I think because they were having some difficulty filling some sailings they waived the single supplement. On our Dawn repo cruise we have 3 or 4 people, in our roll call, that took advantage of the single supplement waiver.

You might want to check back and see if the rules for your sailing might have changed.

PE

Archived