Packing wine...

laurenlou

I heard that carnival only allows one bottle of wine per person. Is that true. How do you bring more.?
True. You are only allowed one bottle per person. We each carried one bottle on. And then we wrapped a bottle for each suitcase & brought on 3 more. I figured since you're allowed one per person, only one in a suitcase wouldn't raise suspicion because they don't know if I carried on or how many bags I have.

We always bring more than one bottle per person, usually 2 per person and then I have a box. We put the bottles in our carry ons and box is either in a store bag or a tote bag.

This is one of the things we like about Carnival, they don't treat you like a criminal when it comes to bringing wine on the ship. If they ever change and crack down like NCL and RCCL we'll find another cruise line. (Or find another way to get it to our room.)

I guess we are too dumb to care...we bought a hard side suitcase at a garage sale for $2 about 3 years ago. We go on 2 cruises a year and usually take about 8 of the large bottles in that suitcase. I wrap them in bubble wrap and have never had any problems. Once on board, I give the steward a $20 and ask him/her to keep my wife's chardonnay cold. We use the glasses in the room and carry it around with us...even dinner. Never been charged. Of course, we buy enough of the DoD's to make Carnival a nive profit too.

chateau de cardboard, yuck! we pack our wine wrapped in bubble wrap in the center of our suitcases. we also bring on vodka, vermouth, olives, and brandy on each cruise as well. NCL does not allow anything so there are no corkage fees because you cannot bring on even one bottle. not that it ever stopped us however

Just got back last night from a 7-day cruise. We had 14 people in our group and everyone packed some alcohol. I took two boxes of wine in my checked luggage and several of us bought rum runner flasks and filled them with Crown Royal. I inserted the boxes and the flasks in XL Ziplock bags in case something went wrong and we had absolutely no problems whatsoever!

Several couples bought vodka at one of the ports, filled up the large water bottle and carried it back on board without incident.

Have a great cruise!

Question: We will be flying to the port for our cruise but do plan to bring our alloted one bottle of wine apiece. Therefore, our wine will need to be packed (in double Ziplocs, no less!) in our checked luggage due to the TSA's absurd liquids policy.

Are we better off going with boxed wine instead of bottled? I know that there are some good quality boxed wines now but we have not tried any.

I want to avoid a breakage incident. We will transfer the wine from checked bags to carryons before getting on the ship.

We are leaving in the morning for our 1st cruise!

We are packing right now and after reading about another cruiser's bottle of rum breaking, I am scared to pack my wine. Anyone have any suggestions for packing 2 750ml bottles of wine?

Also, is it OK to pack an iron? I see on Carnival's website that they only have 1 iron per deck.

Don't pack your wine, just carry it on.

I have packed 3 bottles of wine in my checked luggage for all of my past cruises. I wrap each bottle with bubble wrap, then use packing tape around the bubble wrap and place the bottle in a plastic grocery bag. I then use some packing tape around the plastic bag. I place the wine bottles in the middle of my luggage. I make sure that they are surrounded by soft items. I have never had a problem with any breakage for any of my cruises.:cool:

We are leaving in the morning for our 1st cruise!

We are packing right now and after reading about another cruiser's bottle of rum breaking, I am scared to pack my wine. Anyone have any suggestions for packing 2 750ml bottles of wine?

Also, is it OK to pack an iron? I see on Carnival's website that they only have 1 iron per deck.

Don't pack wine bottles - pack the wine in a box! We took 2 of these on our last cruise and it was great - no fear about breaking the bottles and they did not get crushed in our luggage! Have a great cruise!

Anyone know where we can buy wine/liquor near the Courtyard by Marriott Miami Downtown? Or near bayside? Would they sell cartons/boxes? I was thinking on carrying 2 bottles on, but might have some in my case too! Was going to order a bottle of Vodka from Carnival, but wondering if I should just get bubble wrap. Plenty of others seem to be doing it. It would only be for in the cabin anyway, I don't plan to take it into the onboard bars!

Bubble wrap and 2 quart heavy duty zip lock freezer bags.

Works like a charm when sandwiched in between clothes.

I have always brought multiple bottles with me as the on board wine list for dinner leaves a lot to be desired.

Settling for being charged 45.00 a bottle for something mediocre that you can get for 15 bucks off ship doesn't help either.

:rolleyes:

Anyone know where we can buy wine/liquor near the Courtyard by Marriott Miami Downtown? Or near bayside? Would they sell cartons/boxes? I was thinking on carrying 2 bottles on, but might have some in my case too! Was going to order a bottle of Vodka from Carnival, but wondering if I should just get bubble wrap. Plenty of others seem to be doing it. It would only be for in the cabin anyway, I don't plan to take it into the onboard bars!

If you plan on bringing anything other than wine onboard, it's a good idea to transfer it into a Rum Runner flask first. The rules prohibit bringing liquor onboard, and if you pack it in your suitcase, they might spot your bottle in the scanner and confiscate it.

Rum runners are great - they are inexpensive, sturdy, and undetectable by cruise ship scanners. You can find them at http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com.

Here are two within walking distance of your hotel:

House of Wine and Liquor is 2/10 of a mile from your hotel.

Chandri is 1/10 of a mile away.

We went to both last month before sailing on the Valor. The only type of boxed wine we could find was Franzia Sunset Blush which isn't a good wine, it's more like soda than wine. Both stores had nice big selections of bottled wine along with a variety of sizes and brands of Vodka and Rum. Prices were not low, and the stores are small, but they're convenient to your hotel.

We rode the People Mover (free) to a Publix Super Market‎,

134 SW 13th St, Miami, FL 33130. I think we got off at the Brickell Street Station. You can ask at the desk in your hotel where to get on and off, they should give you a map. It was a short walk across the street to get there, we asked a woman as she got off at the stop where the grocery store was since we didn't see it right away. Publix had both beer and wine, and it was less expensive than at the liquor store. Just be prepared to carry anything you buy back to the metro then to your hotel. :)

HTH

I'm too low-class for a corkage fee. They would have to charge me "twistage".:rolleyes:

Reminds me of an old BF..whilst he was previously married, every Dec 13th, he and Marianne would dec the tree, uncork a nice bottle, hang the dated cork from a gold cord, and add to the tree. The year there were divorcing, Santa was visiting (for the kids) so he went to join the family for the yearly tree dec-ing, and brought a "screw " cap bottle of wine. He summarized that..."it had been THAT kind of year". Your quote ranks right up there with my fave old BF story..still laffing at yours ..lucky

Well on my last cruise I took two bottles on the ship in my carry on, I did wrap them in bubble wrap. But now my question is can you take wine on the plane in carry on since we're flying to Miami this time.:confused:

chateau de cardboard, yuck! we pack our wine wrapped in bubble wrap in the center of our suitcases. we also bring on vodka, vermouth, olives, and brandy on each cruise as well. NCL does not allow anything so there are no corkage fees because you cannot bring on even one bottle. not that it ever stopped us however

You and I must have gone on two different NCL cruiselines as they do allow wine to be brought on. There is a corkage fee for each bottle, even if you drink it in the cabin, but it is allowed. NCL also sells bottles of liquor for in cabin consumption. The charge was reasonable until just a couple of months ago when it got really high.

I don't know about NCLA, so if that's what you sailed, you could be right.

In Florida can you buy wine in a regular grocery store or does it have to be a specific liquor store? Some states sell it in regular stores. Thanks

In Florida it's sold in grocery, convenience, and drug stores (CVS) as well as liquor stores. The variety can be different place to place. In Port Canaveral we could find plenty of varieties, in many locations for a reasonable price. A little less so in Tampa, and downtown Miami (at least where we looked) it was not as reasonably priced. If you plan ahead, do a map search on google, you can find places either on your path from the airport to the port or close to your hotel.

HTH

First time on Carnival, and just wondering how much Carnival enforces the bottle size on carry-on wine. I see references to 750 ML bottles, but have also read my cruise documents (page 3...Before you sail) and section 8f of my cruise contract, and both reference one bottle of wine or champagne per person. Neither reference indicates the size of the bottle. Has anyone taken a 1.5 liter bottle per person in their carry-on? If so, what were the results with the personnel checking you in?

Archived