Galveston Pier

siam

If Galaxy uses the same terminal as the RCI ships, you can leave the hardhat at home.

There are cargo ships in the harbor, but the cruise terminal is fine. And boarding the Splendour in Galveston was fast and easy.

Also, walking distance from the ship there are shops, restaurants and other sites to see.

Lisa

That is the place. All of the trucks in the picture are in support of the Galaxy. On our recent Rhapsody cruise I believe the Captain said every other week they have 40 18 wheelers deliver supplies and food, etc. In the other weeks about 20. As the Galaxy is doing longer than 7 day cruises I would expect the number of trucks to be higher.

The rest of the stuff closer to the front is where they are building the new terminal building and I am glad to see something finally showing up.

You should be able to see the Galaxy this afternoon form 4 to 6 after the Carnival ship leaves and before the Galaxy departs.smile.gif

Yep, Siam, that's where they usually dock. You are looking at the area where they load the luggage and the supplies.

You walk over that area from the terminal in a covered walkway. That grain elevator is southwest of the terminal. It is the worst possible view you could have from the ship.

It's pouring down rain right now, but the harbor really does look like the harbor cam on this page:

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

and the strand cam is just 2 streets over.

Bill - Thanks for the information on the new terminal. Looking at the Galaxy webcam I can now see the construction on the dock, which I guess is more or less mid-ships of the Galaxy. Guess since we'll have this view about every 11-12 days we'll get to see some steady progress from sailing to sailing. Think they'll get it done before our March cruise?

PS - I also just noticed that the cam pictures of the Strand show lots and lots of busses on the street.....wonder where they're going???? :rolleyes: Oh me....if only I could be on one of them.....

Progress has been very slow on the dock. I even went by there on a boat going offshore for work a couple of months ago when there was no ship at the pier and they were not working then. They pretty much have to work when there is no ship and now that more ships are there it is going to be a long haul.:)

Galveston as a home port has only been cookin for the last 2-4 years, and the population that must support improvements with their tax dollars is just starting to see the benefit of doing so. They have come a very long way in a very short time. Give them another 5 years and check back. But if the pier area is more important than the ship or where she goes`````````well````````I dont know what to say.

There are two terminals at Galveston according the the Port of Galveston website: http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/calendars.shtml

According the calendar, Galaxy is at the second and less used terminal today and seemingly so when there are two ships in port. When there is just one, as for the December dates, Galaxy is supposed to be where the Carnival Estacy is today. Presumbly terminal one is less industrial.

Wallie - You're absolutely right, the terminal is not the destination it's a place to get on the ship for the cruise and not much more. I think we were just commenting about how rough it looked. I remember when Ft Lauderdale just started to come on as a cruise port and it was pretty industrial. Long as Galveston proves out to be a viable port the cruise lines will stay there and the port authority and city will adjust accordingly. Right now I'm just happy that Galaxy is starting this cruise series out of a port I can drive to.

We've only cruised from Galveston and Fort Lauderdale. As I remember, there are a couple of views from the port in FL that aren't so great either.

From what I remember about the terminal in Galveston, it's big, clean and boarding was fast. Plus, one of the several good restautants in Galveston serves really good TexMex, if you need a fix before your TexMex-free cruise. (On the Splendour, they tried with the TexMex, but they served refried kidney beans. :))

Randy,

Last year we were boarding Rhapsody as they were blowing up the old grain silo ! With the Strand Dist across the street, Galveston ( I hope) will have more to offer within walking distance than most any other pier area in the country. Now with Celbrity & Princess giving us a try it can only get better. Sorry if I got a bit touchy, but like you, we really like drivin to the ship !

Carnival has the best terminal in Galveston as they were the first to come into town. It is in an old brick building but nicely updated inside. The RCCL/Celebrity building is a metal building but very nice inside as it was put up rather quickly. I think the new one is supposed to be really nice and modern. The port and cruiselines were really surprised at the reception the ships received there.:)

Galveston is a neat city.

Wife and I stayed at one of the beachfront hotels (Comfort Inn). If you stay 2 nights, they allow free cruise parking. The $1.00 trolley runs from the hotel to 1 block to terminal. Many hotel offers same perk, ask.

Otherwise, cruise parking in commercial lot 1 block from ship.

I took wife and luggage to the ship, drove back to hotel and rode the trolley back to the ship. Boarding was fast; get there early and you can board as soon as departing passengers are gone. It will be congested, however.

For departure, I rode trolley to hotel, drove back to terminal for luggage. (Wife?)

Bill - If our March cruise is any indication then I'd say Galveston can be, and really already is, an excellent port for the cruise lines. Last count it looked like the March 21 sailing was getting down to "standing room only" with many of the categories sold out. I also know some folks who have asked about hotels in Galveston are finding rooms hard to find for the one or two nights pre-cruise for our March sailing. (Of course, I imagine spring break is complicating some of that....)

As an aside....and it probably means I have no life :rolleyes: .....I watched the Galaxy sail away last night by opening the Galaxy bridge cam and the Galveston Port Authority webcam and watching them side by side. Not the greatest sail away as it was dark and a bit dreary looking but at least they got out pretty much right on time and, best of all, they out at sea this morning and it looks beautiful. Luckily the days will have gotten a bit longer by our sailing so we should be leaving port with at least some light.

Hello...just wanted to say that we got off the Galaxy yesterday morning and you literally walked down scaffolding (uncovered) to get to the terminal. Thankfully for alot of people Celebrity was loaning umbrellas to get down the walkway. Galveston has a way to go, but I think once the piers are complete, it is going to be a good pier to come and go from.

Just my two cents :)

Randy

As an aside....and it probably means I have no life :rolleyes: .....I watched the Galaxy sail away last night by opening the Galaxy bridge cam and the Galveston Port Authority webcam and watching them side by side.
I can't relate to that at all;) :D Do you think we need to get out more?........:)

As for Galveston, if the town is worth seeing (which I am sure it is from reading these boards and their website) and the Port is efficient, gets me on board easily and the ship sails in good time, I will be very happy. Port areas aren't always the most picturesque of places.

Phil

Phil - Since you're sailing on 13 November you'll be getting out a lot sooner than I am! And you're right about docks and harbors.....not exactly a beach resort. However, in keeping with having no life I did sit for quite a while one day watching a cargo ship get unloaded. It was amazing to watching the crews handle the cargo containers.....wow....I am so easily entertained!

Boston pier was not picturesque but we didn't care. From what I can find out, looks like Galveston is pretty nice. Can't wait to get there Dec.17 2004.

We have reservations at Harbor House and at Holiday Inn for night before cruise. Any thoughts from anyone. We need to decide soon.

We don't really care what the pier looks like as long as we make it on the ship. Want it to be safe, of course. Scaffolding, umbrellas, wet feet, h'mmm. Texas is definitely sending LoUiSiAna her weather today. Rain and more rain.

SanFrancisco pier is nice.

N'awlins pier is nice, walk right up to the Riverwalk.

Eagerly waiting for Christmas on the GRAND.

Archived