AT&T questions

I got this from their website regarding service at seas. My question is, if I don't have international roaming, what is the incemental toll fee:

INTERNATIONAL WIRELESS ROAMING PER MINUTE RATES right_bevel.pngRoaming:

Calls Placed/Received

While in Carnival Cruise Line AT&T Standard International Roaming $2.49AT&T World Traveler $2.49AT&T Canada $2.49AT&T Mexico $2.49Data Usage:All GPRS pay per use rates are $.0195/KB, except in Canada rate is $.015/KB Text, Picture and

Video Messages:Send Text Message$0.50 per message sentSend Picture and Video Messages$1.30 per message sentReceive Text, Picture and Video MessagesHome pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally. Please visit www.att.com for details.

asterisk.png

Rates are in USD per minute and do not include applicable taxes and fees. To avoid incremental toll charges while on a cruise ship, please ensure that you have an international roaming feature activated on your account.

I got this from their website regarding service at seas. My question is, if I don't have international roaming, what is the incemental toll fee:

INTERNATIONAL WIRELESS ROAMING PER MINUTE RATES right_bevel.pngRoaming:

Calls Placed/Received

While in Carnival Cruise Line AT&T Standard International Roaming $2.49AT&T World Traveler $2.49AT&T Canada $2.49AT&T Mexico $2.49Data Usage:All GPRS pay per use rates are $.0195/KB, except in Canada rate is $.015/KB Text, Picture and

Video Messages:Send Text Message$0.50 per message sentSend Picture and Video Messages$1.30 per message sentReceive Text, Picture and Video MessagesHome pay-per-use or package rates apply to all text, picture or video messages received when roaming internationally. Please visit www.att.com for details.

asterisk.png

Rates are in USD per minute and do not include applicable taxes and fees. To avoid incremental toll charges while on a cruise ship, please ensure that you have an international roaming feature activated on your account.

You can call AT&T and have them add the international plan for just the month you are traveling...(Like $6) That's what I do every time. I have never been charged more than the $2.99 a minute and often it's less than that. AT&T phones have great service on the ships...I talked on my phone in open seas with no problems and didn't lose a call once during the cruise. Just make sure you leave your phone off....If someone calls and leaves a message via voice mail, it will be charged as a call.

The International plan is $5.99 per month, but it would be good to keep it on your account for 2 months as the other carrier has up to 60 days to charge your account. If they don't charge your account for 3 to 4 weeks then when it come in and your international calling is not on the account, you will be charged the full rate as if you didn't have international calling.

Thanks, all. Sooooo, if I DON'T get the international roaming....how much would calls cost?? I'm gonna have to get my husband to do the calling and that may take awhile!

Donna

If you don't get the International Roaming....you won't be able to make calls all the time. Coverage is not as good and the tolls to use another service providers roaming are outrageous.

If you call AT&T they will tell you how much the calls are with the International Roaming plan, as well as without (I mean for the different ports. We do not use our cell phone on the ship.) There is not a huge savings. In some cases only 0.20 cents a minute. For just checking in or chatting a couple of minutes it just didn't make sense to get the International Roaming plan, and AT&T even said the same thing. Now if you are going to carry on a conversation I would suggest the International Roaming. We normally get it for my husband to call into the business, but this year we did not and just called in without the extra plan. When you go to San Juan or St. Thomas it is the same as talking here, no extra charge.

You can go to AT&T's website and it will tell you the price difference for calls. It even has the cost per ship's name.

I have never been charged for incoming voice mails on my plan, only if I listen to them am I charged for the call. Remember if you have unlimited text, you receive text messages for free and it costs .50 to send them.

As long as YOU can verify the account with AT&T either DH last four degits of his SS number or if there is a password on the acct you will need that. YOU can add remove or etc to the acct. You only have to verify on a personal acct.

I was on the Fantasy last October and just pulled my AT&T bill to verify my costs. First, I did not add the international plan because I just planned on making a few calls letting everyone know we were ok. The calls are listed on my bill as

Charges incurred while Roaming-Cellular at Sea

5.98 for 2min (which makes them 2.99 per minute)

Charges occurred while Roaming in Merida, Mexico

4.45 for a 10 minute call (.99 a minute)

Data Roaming Charges (Text messages)

1.00 (.50 for 2)

so I only spent a total of $11.93 during my 5 days cruise for me it just wasn't worth adding the international plan.

Also, my phone display always showed me where I was roaming from, normally the Cellular At Sea (Carnival's tower) did not show up until we had left port, so I kept an eye on my phone to make sure I was calling while roaming in Mexico so I would pay the cheaper rate.

This past September we left two of our kids with Grandma and Grandpa while we were on cruise. I made it very clear that I'd have the cell phone on ALL the time....and to call ONLY if it was emergency. No one had to call with an emergency but I did have one time where the phone rang and the telemarketer left a message and even though I didn't answer it - I was charged 50 cents for the incoming text message that alerts me that I had a voicemail.

Just keep that in mind....you'll be paying for incoming texts as well. 50 cents is affordable for one....but if you get a lot - that could add up quickly!

Archived