Sapphire Princess or Norwegian Star ?

jasmith52

We are considering a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

Has anyone been on both of the ships Sapphire Princess or Norwegian Star ? If so would you (please) compare the two ships and your experience.

I have been on the Star and I have been on the Norwegian Pearl. These are two VERY different cruise experiences. One is freestyle and the other is traditional.

In my opinion, the Star is a better ship and Norwegian offers a more relaxed atmosphere. What is more important to you? For me it is the ship. So I would pick the Star.

Love the Sapphire. I guess I'm biased but I can't imagine going to the Mexican Riviera and not going on the Sapphire. Doing my 3rd on her in December. To me, she has everything. Activities if you want, but lots of places to go for quiet-peaceful times, have met great crew members, passengers, liked the food, love the ship-think it's beautiful.

We have been on both the NCL Star and the Diamond Princess (sister to the Sapphire) and I would definitely choose the Sapphire over the Star. While we had an enjoyable time on the Star, it cannot compare to the Diamond in any way shape or form. Princess offers a much superior cruise experience and the Diamond was the nicest ship we have ever been on. We have booked the Sapphire for next April and are really looking forward to being on the twin of the Diamond.

We have been on both NCL and Princess (although not the Star and not the Sapphire yet). But we have found we prefer Princess overall. I'm not complaining about NCL but we LOVE Princess. Princess does have the anytime dining that is like freestyle dining so no need to go traditional if you don't want to. We are booked on the Sapphire in January and we chose to book it over the Star. Either way...it is a cruise and you can enjoy yourself!

And just to throw some stats at you... :D

The Norwegian Star is 91740 GRT, was launched in 2001 and holds 2240 passengers with a space ratio of 41.

The Sapphire Princess is 115875 GRT, was launched in 2004 and holds 2674 passengers with a space ratio of 42.

So, the Sapphire is a newer, bigger ship and outweighs the Star by 24,135 tons, but only accomodates 434 more passengers. Ergo, you'll feel less crowded on the Sapphire.

Not sure if this is still the case, but when we did the route in 2006, the Sapphire docked in Puerto Vallarta, and the Star tendered there. Now, quite often, when you have to tender, they drop you in a more convenient location than an out of the way pier that's out in some industrial area like you will be in Mazatlan. Not so here. The Star tenders came in right behind our ship and dropped off at the same pier we were at.

So, if tendering matters to you, keep that in mind.

Archived