staying at nas Key West

cpojon

I am trying to get a critique on the townhouse rentals at NAS Key West Trumbo point. They no longer have 4 bedroom rentals, only three bedroom. Are they nice and is it a hassle getting to and from the? Do you actually go on base thru a manned gate requiring a vehicle pass? We're cruising on carnival after a few days in the Key's.

I am trying to get a critique on the townhouse rentals at NAS Key West Trumbo point. They no longer have 4 bedroom rentals, only three bedroom. Are they nice and is it a hassle getting to and from the? Do you actually go on base thru a manned gate requiring a vehicle pass? We're cruising on carnival after a few days in the Key's.

The housing is on the base, so you do have to go through the security gate and show a military ID, or base pass.

The housing is old, dating back to the Cold War. I don't know how much updating they've done, but I can tell you that from the outside, it looks like typical, old style, bulk military housing.

There are actually 2 NAS locations. The 'active" base is about 5 miles out of town. The rental townhouses are located in town at Trumbo Point. 5 years ago I worked in the reservation office for the Trumbo units. They are very nice and all have been updated and remodeled since hurricane Wilma 3 years ago. They are fully furnished, have cable, screen porches, and are very clean. It is about a 15 min walk from the units down Eaton St. to Duval St. You do need a pass/mil ID to enter the gate and get to the unit. The units reserve far in advance so if you haven't booked yet, better get on it. With hotels going for $300 a night and up, the Trumbo units are just fine and extremely economical.

Thanks for the reply!! I'm bringing my family with (8 of us total) all adults and we're only staying two nights. I have reservations for a townhouse at trumbo point that has three bedrooms etc. I read a different review that stated the units were old and outdated. I'm not real picky, just wondered if ther was a pool anywhere near them. The information I got was that they are located in an area named Ricketts Circle at Trumbo point. Do you have any other ideas on NAS rentals? How about the coast Gaurd station Cabins I hear about North of town? Any advice is well taken. Thanks, Jon, CPO Ret.

I work on Trumbo Point, so I see these houses every day entering and leaving work.

To expand on my previous comment about the housing, they are the old style cinder block two-story buildings that are 8 or 10 units wide. If you've been on many older military bases, you should know exactly what I'm talking about. The kitchen and living room are downstairs.....winding staircase.....bedrooms upstairs. The housing is managed by Balfour-Beatty, a civilian contract.

I will say that the pool, which is walking distance from the townhouses, is really nice. It's a big pool with nice water slides and at least 2 lifeguards on duty. Given the price, and compared to what you would pay for a hotel, I think it's a good deal.

The CG houses are at the Marathon CG Station. That is 50 miles north on US1. Those houses are a lot nicer and they include rental boats. But there is no pool and they are, well, 50 miles away.

we stay in the condos ALOT!!! They are very very clean and not fancy by any mean, the bathrooms are old and small but my goodness, you are not living in them mostly just sleeping and resting and then spending most of your time out on the town or enjoying the many activities in Key West! There are a GREAT deal where in the heck can you rent a 3 bedroom anything in Key West for $100 bucks a night.........it is a steal! I am grateful for value and soo close to town, just call a taxi and they will meet you right at the gate, if you have your car you can ofcourse drive in after providing your ID at the gate!

The kitchen is large and roomy will dishwasher/oven/stovetop/microwave and full size refrigorator, very nice den area and outside screened in porch with BBQ. It is NOT the Ritz but who cares You are in Key West and not paying $300 plus a night for 1 bedroom!!! What is not to like about that. they also have the mobile homes for rent (2 bedroom , I think) very very cheap like $40 bucks a night but I really don't care for them, beds are not very comfortable, but still very clean and if you just need a cheap nights sleep it is worth it. there is also the fly navy hotel rooms (they book up quick) but they are only about $60.00 a night 1 room.

We will continue to use the condos as often as possible we go down with two other couples and have a blast !! Enjoy!!:D

any pics of the area and surroundings?

Thank you so very much for the reply. We're flying into Miami and renting Harleys for the three days that we'll be in Key West. Base security said we can park the bikes right outside the gate and walk a very short distance to the condo's. We then head back to Miami for a 7 night eastern Carribean cruise aboard Carnival Triumph. Did the same gig last year only we cruised on board Carnival Valor. I didn't know about the base/condos. We did the Trolley tour last year in Key West and ate At A&B seafood. Any other "must see" or "must eat at" places there? Thanks again.

Archived