Question-Legend

sixy-six

Hi sixy-six! Wait till you dock there! The water is so clear you can see coral. When we were there in March we docked just after the sun came up, it was beautiful. It was quiet, you could hear the birds. I am so excited to be going back.

Does anyone know how far they are on the construction? Is anything opened yet.

kelly

On Valor one year ago we docked in Coxen Hole, no tender. Do a little reading and you will see that some people LOVE this port, others will never go back. As one of the former, I think that if you do some research you will find out that Roatan is amazing for snorkeling --- the best ever for almost anyone we talked to (and that was a lot!). You don't have to do the Tabyana thing, you can just take a cab to West Bay Beach or take the local bus to West End then a water taxi to West Bay, like we did (I did a post on the specifics on the Roatan boards after we came back last December...). Then head to the far end of the beach, right next to the cliff, and jump in! The reef is RIGHT THERE! But forget about touristy shops.

I imagine construction takes longer because everything has to be shipped in. If you need more of something you can't just go and get it easily.

It is a beautiful island. Hopefully the cruise terminal will bring more money to the people of the island and not just the business people.

kelly

Just came off the Legend. You do dock in Roatan. However, I will not be going back there for a long time. If I do, I won't get off the boat. I have never been pulled and pawed at to buy stuff. Even that I could have put up with, but there were also a lot of guns showing. Our cabbie pulled into a gas station, and people there were carring shotguns. I don't need that. Beautiful water but a little scary with the weapons.

Thanks everyone. Not sure what I will be doing there yet. Had a bit of a set back on money when a tree dropped on my car a few weeks back. good thing th cruse was paid off. just had to get into the spending money a bit.

Oh dear, that sucks!

We just got back off the Legend this Sunday, and we docked at Roatan.

The dock is finished but the buildings aren't, and there's a lot of work still being done to erect buildings. There were a lot of beggars (and they were pretty bold too, a kid said I had a nice baseball hat and that I should give it to him for him to remember me by... nice, eh?) and vendors... and basically I wasn't impressed with that, but, Fins N' Flippers was spot on excellent!!

If we go back, I do believe we'll be re-visiting there. ;)

Archived