Caye Caulker Beaches

TROJO

We Will Be In Belize Mid November On The Grand. We Booked A Trip To Caye Caulker. We Will Be On The Island For Only 3 Hours , Not Leaving Much Time To Explore. I Would Like To Hear From Someone Who Has Been To The Island For Some Tips Of Things To Do. Are There Any Nice Public Beaches Or Resort Beaches Near The The Arrival Pier ?

Caye Caulker is very small. We were not there long enough to explore but I have read that there is a nice beach at the "split". The island is pretty undeveloped. The only means of transportation are bicycles and golf carts. You could rent a golf cart and drive down to the split and enjoy the beach there. There was a small beach right where we docked but I didn't see anyone in the water. I have some pictures of Caye Caulker at http://community.webshots.com/user/jean_lynd in the Voyager albums that should give you an idea of what it is like. I hope this helps!

We had the cave tubing planned for our cruise last week but mother nature can not be controlled. If there is much rain before you arrive the rivers become too dangerous and the cave tubing will be called off, so good to have a backup plan. Have a great cruise ;)

I would like to go to Caye Caulker for the day. Does anyone know how far it is from Belize City by boat (miles and time it takes to reach) Is there anything there resturaunt? shops and most important a beach? Either I'm missing some posts or there doesn't seem to be much info on traveling around Bellze. (Unless you want to pay outrageous prices for cruise tours)

I have also E-mailed one other place Coral Sands. I can't get them to respond to my E-mails so that seems to be a dead end.

This is the first time I've encountered a port where there isn't much info about getting around.

Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Helen

A year ago we spent a week in Belize, at a resort on Ambergris Caye. Even on that island, most transportation is by water taxi rather than golf carts. The roads really are not good. We went to several other islands while on snorkeling excursions. As I recall, the trip to the mainland by boat took 1 to 2 hours, and that was at a very fast speed. As far as Caye Caulker, I can't imagine spending a day there. There were only a couple of streets. The shopping was very limited, mostly T-shirt/souvenir type shops. There were a couple of restaurants. I didn't notice any beaches, but there may have been one. If you want to spend a day on one of the Cayes, I think Ambergris would be a better choice. I hope this doesn't sound negative, because we had a wonderful time in Belize.

Thanks for the info. It saves me getting myself excited and then finding out that I can't go!!!! I've been looking at different options, but unless you go with a tour (ugh!) there isn't much to do in Belize. I had no idea it would be this hard to find a nice beach and enjoy a sunny day!!!

ANyway again thanks for your quick response.

Helen

Although the resort we stayed at had a lovely beach, and we did use it, Belize really is not about beaches. It's about diving and snorkeling. That is what makes it so special. If one is looking for beaches, shopping, etc. , I believe that Belize will disapoint.

Thank you for your response. I'm coming to the realization that maybe Belize isn't the place for me. The funny thing is I see these beautiful pictures of thesse wonderful beaches in Belize!

Most of what I hear isn't very inviting. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll stay on the ship and spend the day at the pool.

anyway again thank you for your prompt reply.

Helen

I have just returned from my cruise and spent my birthday snorkeling in Belize. We took a trip through Coral Breeze. The snorkeling is great but the trip wasn't quite what was advertised as they held us up 2hrs to wait on more people arriving on a later ship. It is a 45min boat ride to Caulker Caye, but I loved it there. It is quite small. No need to rent anything to get to the split. Its not that far to walk and the bar there has their Bahia beer for 1.25 a bottle. And its good too. There is a beach there that people were laying out on and i saw people swimming and snorkeling there too. The restaurant was nice, also saw a couple others. The shopping is in Belize city where the tender goes and right at the pier. There are lots of nice shops and we found plenty to buy. I loved Belize and can't believe that people would want to stay on board and miss it...Dont!

The snorkeling was pretty good, we went right off the small speed boat into the water with the stingrays. The nurse sharks pretty much all left when we got in. The current was pretty strong though, and we didn't get to go to the reef to snorkel. It would have been nice to do that too. I think the snorkeling at Caulker Caye is just walkout from the shore. ITs a mile or so to the reef rom there according to my info. Didn't snorkel there.

Archived