Cancel/Rebook a cruise

lgfromdg

I have a cruise booked for next March on the Jewel. I got an ok price on it but not a great deal (like my cruise on the Sun last March). I'm also having a hard time finding decent airfare. I had planned to pay for this trip with my annual year-end bonus from work but rumor has it that the bonuses won't be as large this year. I am considering canceling the cruise . My question is if I cancel now and the price comes down in early 2009, would I be able to take advantage of a price offered for new bookings only? Or would my having previously booked/cancelled the same cruise rule that out?

I doubt that anyone can give you a definite answer. Hopefully, a travel agent can help you.

My opinion is that if the sale is for new bookings only, you are not eligible. However, I've heard many TA's say that sometimes they catch it, sometimes they don't. So you really can't lose anything by trying. The worst that can happen is that they catch it and you have to pay the current (non sale) rate at that time. And unless it is some unique sailing, it seems like all bookings are down right now, so I doubt the price would be higher then what you are paying right now.

CG

I can't even answer that one: gut feeling, if you have been booked and a special promo is for "new bookings only" that is just what it means. I will also mention March cruises as you probably know are generally not cheap, as it is spring break for many...

I would keep what you have until closer to final payment time, then decide.

Nita

If you are flexible on the dates, you could cancel now and rebook the same cruise, but departing a week before or after your original date. Then I would assume it is a "new booking". Or, if you are having trouble finding reasonably priced airfare, maybe you could find a cruise that interests you but departing from a different city.

I've been following cruise prices pretty closely, and it seems like prices for cruises are generally low, and it's not just special sales.

Keep in mind your travel agency might have cancellation fees in addition to the ones NCL has.

I can't give you a definitive answer, however I can tell you that I had a cruise booked on the Pearl last January that I cancelled the previous July and it still shows up under my name on the web. I have to use the seaweb site to see it but it is definately there. The cruises I DID take are not there. :rolleyes:

Nita - I'm definitely waiting until closer to final payment to make my decision. We always cruise during my daughter's Spring break so I know that fares are higher. I had gotten such a great deal on my Sun cruise last March but it is an older ship and it was a shorter cruise (7 days) but even comparing that, the price was fantastic. Of course, everything has gone up since then so it's probably not a fair comparison.

Nita - I'm definitely waiting until closer to final payment to make my decision. We always cruise during my daughter's Spring break so I know that fares are higher. I had gotten such a great deal on my Sun cruise last March but it is an older ship and it was a shorter cruise (7 days) but even comparing that, the price was fantastic. Of course, everything has gone up since then so it's probably not a fair comparison.

Good luck and let's hope you don't get riffed!!! I know how you feel, my husband was part of the riff process with the federal government in the early 80s. No, he did not lose his job but he had to let many go..

Nita

I canceled my cruise, then rebooked and had absolutely no problem what so ever getting the lower price. As long as you don't make the final payment there shouldn't be a problem. Good Luck.

This is fine if you are just booking a lower price, but if the price includes a promo it will not work..well,let's put it this way, depending on the promo.

Nita

Archived