canopy zipline/ocho rios?

hollon

Can I take a cab to do the canopy zipline in ocho rios, will there be cabs once I get off the ship? Could someone tell me how many hours it'll take? Should we add something else besides the zipline? Thanks, leaving in two wks. :) Will the cab people know where to take us to do the zipline, or is there more than one?

I did the zip line through Royal ( actually Celebrity). I thought long and hard about booking on my own, but got nervous about the tour operators and how safe and maintained the lines and harnesses were. I figured that if I got injured or worse,,, then Celebrity would have to bear some responsibility. I would not trust the locals to help pick up the tab if something didn't work right.

I will say this: I felt very safe and comfortable through out the entire excursion ( although there was a lot of screaming.... by everyone on the first adventure). It was the BEST excursion I have ever done, hands down, without a doubt. I would do it again, but now that I'll be 55 next year, well, I don't think I'll tempt the hands of fate.

I would highly recommend the excursion... and there were children and older folks on it also. Everyone had a great time.

It was a little intense in the beginning when we had to hike what seemed like a few miles, to get to the "take off" points

Can I take a cab to do the canopy zipline in ocho rios, will there be cabs once I get off the ship? Could someone tell me how many hours it'll take? Should we add something else besides the zipline? Thanks, leaving in two wks. :) Will the cab people know where to take us to do the zipline, or is there more than one?

Oh there will be PLENTY of cabs.. LOL. You will be offered a cab every few steps that you take once you get outside of the dock area.

We did the Canopy zip-line excursion in Ocho Rios in January '06 with two other couples we were cruising with and we were told they don't do any independent bookings, it's all done through the cruise line. You could always e-mail Chukka Cove (that's the tour operator) and ask them if that is still the case.

moofus you were right to be wary of the safety issues. I would be less concerned about who's financial responsibility but more about actually getting hurt. An accident on a zip line can be catastrophic. I would ask lots of questions of a tour company before I decided to book one. I know a couple who did a zipline tour in mexico. They actually booked this tour thru their travel agent in the US. There was not much as far as safety equipment and no brake on the line. When the husband got to the plaform on the other side of the line, the operator signaled all clear and the wife was sent down the line. The husband slipped from the operators grasp and went back down the line and had a midair collision with his wife at a speed of around 55mph. They suffered serious injuries. Not to mention the chore it was to get back to the U.S.for decent medical attention. They are still not completely recovered. Safety standards are not the same as in the US and accidents do happen. It is important for all of us to remember that just because we are on vacation bad things can still happen and to pack our common sense. Have fun

Is there a height and weight limit. I would guess that there is. I am 6'3'' 240lbs.

Thanks

There is a weight restriction of 264 pounds according to their website although the weight is more a function of body shape than weight itself. We booked it last year while on the Rhapsody OTS and the place was operated by Chukka Caribbean Adventures.

Thank you who wrote in about the zipline. I just picked up my documents from ***** and my TA said she would strickly book thru RCL on all excursions. Well, I already booked thru Cap. Marvin for Stingray city, do yall think that's okay or should I cancel and go thru RCL? My time is 8:00 - 4:00 in cozemel. I believe my exc. will be 11:15. Now she has me a little worried. Thanks Joy :) What is the plantation in ocho rios?

Thank you who wrote in about the zipline. I just picked up my documents from ***** and my TA said she would strickly book thru RCL on all excursions. Well, I already booked thru Cap. Marvin for Stingray city, do yall think that's okay or should I cancel and go thru RCL? My time is 8:00 - 4:00 in cozemel. I believe my exc. will be 11:15. Now she has me a little worried. Thanks Joy :) What is the plantation in ocho rios?

Okay this is what I have done for the last 17 cruises.

I used to book strictly through RCCI. But many times found that the excursions were ridiculously crowded. After doing a lot of research on the Ports of Call board and reading on this board I now usually book independent tours.

We booked an independent for Sting Ray City and I can't remember for sure, but I do think it was Cap Marvin. We were on Rcci not Celebrity that time. But we were very happy with that tour( other than I got incredibly ill... more to come on that if you are interested). What we saw was the other boats from the cruise lines ... all of them anchored next to each other and it was so crowded in the water all you could see was people. The independent we were with anchored a little away from the crowd( still crowded mind you) and I think we had a better experience. Then we went snorkling ( or it might have been the other way around) anyway, the group decided if they wanted more time in one area or another. I just think it was less crowded. I tend to be a worry wort, so I always book the first excursion of the day that I can,,, always think about a boat running out of gas or having engine trouble. All the larger independent guys have more than one boat on the water so they would be able to get help, but I always alow time for the unexpected. If you book through RCCI, the ship won't leave until the excursion is back. If through an independent, they won't wait for you. I do think you will have plenty of time.

We also booked a city tour through an independent and most of our Alaskan excursions. As a a matter of fact, when we went whale warching in Alaska, thru an Independent, the Princess Crusies line naturalist was on his boat and she said she wouldn't use anyone else. She gave us a great narrative during the excursion.

BUT, If I do anything that is dangerous( we did the seaplane trip in Alaska) like zip lining or helicopters or anything with a really tight time schedule,or in a questionable place ( like Ocho can be) I would go through the cruise line.;)

Stingray City is in Grand Cayman. We did Captain Marvins there. It was much less crowded than the cruise ship tours to Stingray City. We did 2 snorkel stops, and the stingrays as well. There were only about 15-20 people on the boat. I believe we did the same time you did. Still had time to get back, eat a snack at the Hard Rock, and tender back with plenty of time to spare.

I think you will be fine with the Captain Marvin's independent tour.

I just returned on sunday from the mariner and went to mystic mountain.

RCI didn't offer the combined tour (canopy ride, bobsled, and tranopy ziplining). we asked at the excursion desk if we could book the bobsled thru RCI and add the tranopy when we got there, they said that RCI will offer the entire package in the future but doesn't yet.

we hooked up with another couple and took a cab directly to mystic mountain after leaving the ship. it costs 10 per person round trip.

we arrived at mystic mountain and were the only people there. we purchased tickets for the combined tour and rode the canopy up the mountain. it was a beautiful ride and the building at the top is beautiful. we drank red stripe and were the only people up there. they have a pretty resturant with great views and an open museum about jamacian sporting history. they also have a waterslide and a small pool.

we did the bobsled and had a great time and then did the tranopy tour. more people had arrived by this point, but we were quickly suited up and off on the zipline. the zipline was really cool, 5 different zips, a vertical zip, and a wobbly bridge. it ends halfway down the canopy so we took it to the bottom and back up. when we arrived at the top, there were probably 30 people waiting to get outfitted for the tranopy, we timed it perfectly! we had another drink and left to head back downtown. we were there for about 4 hours.

hope this helps, i heard about the place on CC but didn't have a lot of info. we were totally comfortable and safe the entire time, it was a great excursion.

Archived