Best Way to Travel from Villefranche to Eze To Cannes?

My husband and I will be traveling on VOS 11/8. Our first stop is Villefranche. What we would like to do is go to Eze for a bit and then travel to Cannes...all of this on our own (no ship excursions). We are actually meeting up with some friends of our family in Cannes. So, my questions are, does anybody know how to get to Eze from the port in Villefranche? From Eze, what is the best way to get to Cannes? Then, what is the best way to get from Cannes back to the port?

We also realize we will be in this port on a Sunday. Could anybody tell us if the shops are open on Sundays? If not, we might reconsider Eze and go straight to Cannes.

These boards have been SO HELPFUL to me while planning our trip, so I also just wanted to say thank you to all the people who have posted questions and answers!:)

Well, of course, Eze will be to the east of you from Villefranche, and Cannes to the west--so there will be some backtracking involved. The recommendations I have heard are to take the bus to Eze and I believe once there you have to transfer to a bus that takes you up the hill to the interesting part of the town. Then you can take a bus back through Villefranche and Nice and get to Cannes. I believe there is also a train but I still think you'd have to take the bus in Eze.

We took the bus from Villefranche to Nice and rented a car for the day, went along the Corniche all the way through Monaco to Menton, and then back on the Upper Corniche to capture the views. Then returned the car to Nice and bused it back to Villefranche--a lot of back and forthing!

If you do a search on this forum you can find the exact bus numbers--I figure I'll just wing it when I get there!

Cathy

There is a local car rental company who has a service desk in the Tender Boat Terminal on the days when a cruise ship is in port.

It took nearly about one hour by car from Villefranche to Cannes as you first need to get to Nice before you can change to the highway.

Have your credit card or change with you as you need to pay toll on the highway.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hire a taxi. BTW... there is no bus to take you up to the top of Eze. All buses stop at the bottom. You actually walk up a long road/driveway that services the hotel and town. Between the road and the steps, it's about a 10 to 15 minutes walk up to the town. Depending on what kind of shape you are in.

That wouldn't be an easy trip to do without a car. The 112 bus from Nice or Monaco goes to Eze Village, but doesn't run very often. I guess if time weren't an issue, you could do the 110 bus to Monaco or the Train from Villefranche, take the 112 to Eze, then take the 112 from Eze to Nice and take the Train from Nice to Cannes. They are two difficult locations. I'd pick one or the other.

Having spend seveal weeks in the area, we know it quite well, we actually rented a villa in Eze.

Whilst it is a beautiful place, the other poster are correct in that it will make for a very difficult journey, particularly without a car.

On a Sunday the vast majority of shops are likely to be closed. We were in Nice on a Sunday and whilst we could get a meal etc. the general stores were all shut.

We have been in Villefranche several times on cruises and have also stayed in the village for a holiday. If you are going to Cannes then I'd forget Eze as, as posted by others it is difficult to get to and in the opposite direction, and transport isn't great. Much easier to either get a bus into Nice and then train to Cannes, or better still get a train from Villefranche to Cannes.

Thank you all for your help! We have decided to just skip Eze and head straight to Cannes. Or possibly just meet up with our friends in Nice, which sounds like it will be much easier to get to than Cannes. I appreciate all of your advice!

Archived