Memory Cards

sail7seas

Yeah, I know. Its the difference between FAT-16 and FAT-32. In FAT-16, the directory only had 16 bits for the cluster number of the starting cluster of the file, which means a maximum of 65,536 clusters. There were a maximum of 64 sectors in each cluster and each sector is 512 bytes long. Multiply all those numbers together and you get a maximum storage medium size of 2,147,483,648 or 2GB bytes of storage.

FAT-32, which was introduced in Windows 95, Service Release 2 and made standard in Windows 98, expanded the directory to 32 bits, which means a maximum of over 2 billion clusters, or 70,368,744,177,664, or 64 Terabytes (a terabyte is 1024 Gigabytes).

This is really the determining factor; if the software in the camera can support FAT-32, then large cards are okay. If the software can only support FAT-16, then they're not okay.

A 64 TB card could store approximately 16,777,216 images, assuming a 4MG jpeg file. Since most jpegs are smaller than this, the actual number would be even higher. Since we're playing with ridiculous numbers, try this. If you shot 1,000 pictures per day, it would take you 45 years to fill the card.

But, I've already been accused of being too technical once. :)

While these numbers may seem absurd, please note that 1 TB hard drives are becoming relatively common (at least not unheard of) in high-end home PC's. I can remember when the first 10 megabyte hard drives for PC's became available. No one could imagine why anyone needed a disk that big. :rolleyes:

Paul

Paul - I'm sorry I seem to have upset you. You said you were only familiar with SD cards. I answered the way I did to keep it from becoming technical and to point out that it applied to all memory products - CF, SD, even USB memory sticks.

And to be historically accurate, the first version was FAT12 with a max of 32 Megabytes of storage.

Rich

While these numbers may seem absurd, please note that 1 TB hard drives are becoming relatively common (at least not unheard of) in high-end home PC's. I can remember when the first 10 megabyte hard drives for PC's became available. No one could imagine why anyone needed a disk that big. :rolleyes:

Paul

Storage space is cheap now days - I have 2 internal 500mb drives in my PC and 2 external 1TB drives that I use for backup. Store duplicate copies of all my images on each external drive and of the stuff I really don't want to take a chance in losing I also put on DVDs.

There's no need to shoot at the highest camera resolution unless you plan to enlarge photos to poster size. Shoot a step down from maximum and you'll get many more photos on the memory card.

I disagree. You should shoot at the highest possible resolution in case you want to crop photos. Spend the $20 on an extra memory card, and give yourself that option.

Thanks.

I have a new digital camera I am trying to learn how to use and have no idea how much memory I am going to want seeing as I have no idea how comfortable I'll be with the camera.

I would try to make sure I had enough memory cards before the cruise ... only because naturally HAL's prices and selection in the onboard photo shop are nothing like you would expect at home.

For what it's worth, I too bought a new digital camera before my cruise and the memory card is not even half used up. I took some 900 pictures, not counting the underwater ones that I took with regular film cameras.

Also, just a note ... don't expect to get film developed on the ship. I found to my chagrin when I went to do so on the Statendam that their photo concessions had switched to 100% digital processing. I had to bring the underwater cameras right back home for processing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sail7seas -

Sandisk is a popular brand and very good quality. I have used several brands and have not had problems but I know that others have had issues. You don't say what camera you have. Is it a point and shoot or a digital SLR? All digital cameras today have a "program" or "automatic" mode that sets everything (shutter speed, aperature, ISO) automatically and will work in 90% of your shots. Also - make sure you have at least 3 sets of batteries and take along the charger. If it uses AA batteries - use rechargeable NiMH not the "normal" Duracell type. Depending on flash use and LCD usage you can go through batteries quickly. The best thing to do is get several memory cards and several sets of batteries then start shooting now! Look at the shots - see what you like and don't like - just practice, practice, practice. Remember digital images are just 0's and 1's. Download them to your computer - and start again.

One other thing - when you get a new card "format" it in the camera before you use it. This sets it up to use in "your" camera and not just a generic format.

Digital photography is my second hobby (buidling and flying radio control airplanes is my other hobby). I took 1700 images in our 9 hour trip through the Panama Canal. If you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them. Just let me know the make and model of your camera and I will try to help.

Thank you for this very kind offer. I have a Nikon Coolpix S9 and have trouble getting great night shots. They typically turn out blurry. Also, I struggle finding the setting to turn off the flash and open the aperature wide enough to capture a good shot in the dark. I feel like I'm doomed to take only daylight pictures.

I confess, I need profressional help.:o

Diane

Thank you for this very kind offer. I have a Nikon Coolpix S9 and have trouble getting great night shots. They typically turn out blurry. Also, I struggle finding the setting to turn off the flash and open the aperature wide enough to capture a good shot in the dark. I feel like I'm doomed to take only daylight pictures.

Diane

first you would need a small tripod or a very sturdy place to set the camera on to get a night shot without the flash. Second I would suggest that you refer to the manual to find out the sub-menus to do long exposures. Usually these types of point and shoots have a night time setting. I am not sure of this particular model. But the manuals usually explain how to set these very well. Sometimes the camera is not able to take night shots without a flash...just depends on how automotatic it is. But I would say that you definatly need something to hold the camera perfectly still for night shots.

I agree with what has been said about mulitible SD's. Its even better to bring your own laptop if you have one and download your pics every night. Setting the camera for the best quality is important. Depending on what your cameras megapixels (5mp or more) is...you can get some really great 8x10s with the higher settings.

I never go anywhere without my cameras as I am a professional. I am so looking forward to this trip as not only relaxation..but as a photographer! I enjoy taking pics so much I can go through several cards in a day then download them at night to my laptop and reformat the cards for the next day.

Practice practice practice is the only way to get to know your camera. Your manual is as important as the batteries and SD. Even though I know my camera pretty well...I still bring my manual with me...as there is always some problem or submenu that I need to find an answer to.

Have fun!

Yes, that's the problem I have visiting Circuit City or Best Buy. I go in for one thing, and something else calls out to me! :eek:
Best Buy is generally my downfall. I can't come out of there without being several hundred (if not thousand) dollars poorer. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Regarding battery life - on a cruise, it's a good idea to charge up the batteries you've been using every day. I just put them on charge before going for dinner, when I get back they are charged and ready for another day's shooting.

Modern batteries, either NiMH or Lithium-ion, are quite happy to be only partially discharged before being charged up again. In fact, Lithium-Ion batteries last a lot longer if they aren't fully discharged each time they are used.

And you can never have too many memory cards :-)

VP

Diane

The sensor on even the most expensive camera is not nearly as sensitive to light as the human eye. Some of the latest Digital SLR cameras in the $2000+ range are getting closer especially if you match them with a $2000+ f/1.4 lens. All that said. Just like the human eye the sensor in the camera needs to capture a certain amount of light in order to "see" an image. It does this by opening or closing the size of the hole that lets light on the sensor (aperature), similar to the pupil in the human eye and then adjusts the length of time that the shutter allows the light to shine on the sensor (shutter speed) Depending on what mode you have the camera set on these may both happen at the same time or one will stay fixed while the other changes. There is also an adjustment that can be made called ISO. This changes the sensitivity of the sensor to the light (basically amplifies the signal). The higher the ISO setting the more sensitivity but this come with the addition of what is called "digital noise" in your image or a kind of snowny or slightly blurred effect. What happens when taking a picture in the "automatic" mode is that the aperature will open as far as it can physically and then start to adjust the time the shutter is open for longer and longer periods. (It may also automatically open and fire the flash unless you have that turned off. ) If you are hand holding the camera, as the length of time the shutter is open gets longer the more chance you have of moving the camera (or the object moving if a person or animal) and hence you get the blurred image. Typically this happens at about 1/60 to 1/30 of a second. If you are taking a photo of something that isn't moving you can mount the camera on a tripod or hold it on a solid object like a railing or post when you take the picture to keep from moving the camera (if the camera has a timer setting to take the picture as most do it is best to use that so you don't accidently move the camera) One other thing. The flash in most point and shoot cameras is only good for subjects up to about 15 feet away. Also if you are taking a photo of a person at night using the flash (unless the camera has a special setting the portraits at night) you will get a very bright image of the person and the background will be virtually black.

OK - after all of that - basically it is nearly impossible to get a non-blurred picture of a moving object at night and you need a tripod or solid structure to support your camera when taking photos of scenery at night. The best thing to do is go out at night around your town and practice - remember these images are virtually free since you can erase the memory card and reshoot 1000's of times - practice - practice and have FUN!!!:D :D

Thank you Cruisin'Lady and iflyrc5 for you very helpful replies! I consider myself a reasonably intelligent lady, but those camera manuals are pretty confusing to me. :o I'll try to study and practice on the plane from DFW to FLL next week. That should help pass the time and be much more productive than consuming cocktails and reading my silly books. :D

Diane

Great thread! I'm looking for a new camera and would love to know what you bought. I know you would have gotten some good advice on cameras before you chose and that would be a great deal of help to me and others. I think someone else asked also. :confused:

I am VERY much into digital photography, and would advise you to consult dpreview.com. The do very good, unbiased reviews of digital cameras, and have a thing called ‘Buying Guide’. This lets you do a ‘features search’ and find a selection of suitable cameras. But just like choosing a cruise, this will work a LOT better if spend a little time thinking about what you want to DO with the camera. For example, you might want a super-portable model, which you can easily slip into your shirt pocket. Or you may decide you want a camera with a wide zoom range – say 10x to 15x. You’ll be giving up some portability, but getting back versatility, getting a close-up view of the sea-lion in Glacier Bay. Essentially, you’ll get much better results if you find out what features are available, then spend some time thinking about what you want. Generally going into a big-box store, such as Frys or Circuit City, will expose you to sales personnel who are absolute mines of misinformation. Plan to spend a little time thinking before you jump.

Archived