Chankanaab- Loved It!!

jeast

Just got back from cozumel. We enjoyed Chankanaab very much and can not recommend it highly enough. The snorkling was fun and relaxing. Lots of pretty fish and some barracuda, too! When you get tired of swimming and the sun, the botanical gardens are beautiful and peaceful and the mayan village and ruin replicas are interesting. We were even fed mayan food and given information about their lifestyles, etc. A very nice day, indeed!

Glad to hear your good review...we are headed there next week and are really looking forward to a relaxing day. Did you take an excursion thru the ship or go on your own? We are planning to just take a taxi on our own, but there are 8 ships @ Cozumel that day, and wondering if it will be packed?

We went there last summer. It's easy to do on your own. Head out to the taxi cab area and grab a cab........prices are posted on the board. It was $12 each way when we went. We didn't wait too long for a taxi back to the port. There were only 2 ships in port when we were there and it wasn't crowded at all. Just get there early so you get your choice of where you want to lay out for the day (we arrived at 10am, as it was just opening........you might want to check about that). The beach area is quite large, so you should be fine. Remember, people do spread out. Many will be on ship tours to the ruins, diving, city tours, etc. Beach people will be spread out among the free beaches and Chankanaab. Have a great time, we certainly did.

the taxi ride was $10 each way from puerta maya pier (carnival's). Entrance fee is $12 per person. Easy as pie to do on your own. Don't need to spend the extra money for the excursion. Go on your own, leave when you want. You'll love it. Enjoy!

Hi Jeast , we will be in Cozumel in Dec. and are wondering if we want to go to Chankanaab or Paradise Beach. Does Chankanaab have chairs or do you bring your own stuff to lay on? Is there restaurants near by or do you pick up your own goodies to bring? Have you been to both places to give me a comparison? My husband and I love both authentic and fun that is why we are having such a hard time deciding where to go. Thank You.

We just got back from Chankanaab and it was wonderful. Yes there are chairs (low curved plastic ones) and there are a couple snack places and a nice sit down place with lots of outdoor tables. Waiters also come around, but you have to flag them down, they don't bother you. The people next to us ordered food and they brought a small table, set it up and served their food.

The snorkeling was great. Also, they have a nice shaded area (botanical garden) with ruins and a lagoon.

The place is very neat and well cared for.

I've heard good things about Paradise Beach but decided on Chankanaab because it had a variety of things to do. Paradise beach sounds like a nice place to go if you just want to chill on a beach. Chankanaab has nice snorkeling, botanical gardens, mayan ruins (replicas of the most famous ones, but still interesting), and a saltwater lagoon.

We have really nice beaches in Pensacola, so we opted for snorkeling and the botanical gardens. It worked out great for us.

It just depends what you are into on that day. Enjoy your day, I doubt if you can have a bad time either way.

Both places are great...Each offers something unique.

Chankanaab has excellent snorkeling, dolphins, sea lions, beautiful gardens and lagoons. There is a $12 entrance fee. Dolphin and Sea Lion Activites costs vary depending on the program you choose.

Paradise offers a nice sandy beach with floats, kayaks, iceberg to climb (or at least to try and climb) water trampoline all of which you can use for just a $5 fee. And right next door there is parasailing and jet skis for rent.

Paradise is only about a 5-10 minute taxi ride from Dzul Ha.

Hi- can someone tell me if there are shopping venues within easy walking distance of Paradise Beach? I'm trying to work out a morning snorkeling tour with Eagle Ray Divers and then some beach time after lunch, but the girls travelling with us are worried they won't have time to shop if we do both. Paradise beach sounds so nice from what everyone here has written that I'm hoping that we can just stay there and fulfill everyone's needs.

I've read somewhere that you need cash for the entrance fee to Chankanaab. I also read that they accept credit cards for the sea lion show and dolphin experiences. We are planning to try snuba there. Do they take credit cards for the snuba program? Just want to know how much cash to plan on bringing... We leave Thursday aboard the Sensation, but will go early to spend a little time in NOLA.

Archived