Live From the Golden Princess Oct 15th-29th and beyond?

Suzieb

Thank you Remydiva for your quick response re: the bedding. Since we are handicapped and have a handicapped accessible cabin we always have the beds set up as twins so that the scooter can get into the space between the beds, so maybe the sloping will not be a problem, but will definitly call our guy at Princess and request egg-cratesss.:)

Don,

I noticed that too. How disappointing. The ship was anchored off of Kauai for awhile. Looks like they gave up trying to make it in. Getting into Nawilwili is SUCH a tight squeeze -- looking at the seas, I was not surprised to see them heading off to Maui.

Does anyone know how often cruise ships are unable to dock in Kauai? We are cruising to Hawaii on the Golden Princess in February and know this must be a big disappointment for all the passengers. Is the Princess doing anything to partial makeup for the uncooperative weather?

Does anyone know how often cruise ships are unable to dock in Kauai? We are cruising to Hawaii on the Golden Princess in February and know this must be a big disappointment for all the passengers. Is the Princess doing anything to partial makeup for the uncooperative weather?

I have been on this cruise 3 times and we have always made it to Kauai. So I think this does not happen very often.

Princess will refund the port fees but that is all they are obligated to do. The passenger contract states that the cruise line can change the itinerary. They will not risk the safety of the passengers when the conditions are not good.

Thank you Remydiva for your quick response re: the bedding. .:)

Leo and Hugh: You're welcome:)

Re: docking in Kauai...on our cruise this past week, the captain came on the intercom and explained how difficult it was to get in and out of that harbour. They used two tugs and the seas were dead calm but the opening to the harbour is so narrow with very unique concrete pillons which would be very nasty to hit. You can see from the pics (if they attach ok) how close we came to them.

harbour1.jpg.cc3724319656a4a8cf329154610db2a9.jpg

1344844993_leavingharbourjpg.jpg.2784b2687c68a587d976950736e06464.jpg

In March of 2005 we also missed Kauai (Island Princess). We sat out there for awhile, then once it was decided the port would not be open we headed for Honolulu and overnighted there, spent the whole next day as well. The crew was ecstatic to be able to party in Waikiki! Luckily on the Golden this time we made it OK.

Our cruise in Feb will be my 4th to Hawaii. I have not been on a cruise to Hawaii that missed a port.... yet..............

But one year while in Maui we were called back early to the tenders to get back to the ship. The Port Authority decided to close the port due to the high winds and rough surf that kicked up. It was a beautiful sunny day but the tenders were "surfing" the white water waves back. A few pax on their own independent excursions had to fly to the next port to catch the ship. In Nawilliwi 2007 we almost missed the port. Again it was a bright sunny morning. But the winds were blowing. The ship was being pushed toward the rocks. It is a very narrow port entrance. We made a couple runs at it and did make it. They only cancel a port when it is a safety issue. Better safe than on the rocks. I like my drinks on the rocks ;)....... not the ships I am on!:eek:

Sure it would be a disappointment to miss a port when there are only 4 now! I still would rather be safe!

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on Golden 4/1/09 and this will be our 3rd visit to the

islands. The first was a 7 day cruise on the old navy

ships which they converted into cruise ships in '81. The month

before we were to sail, they ran aground in Kauai and our cruise

was delayed one month. When we did go, at T'sgiving time, we

were held over a day in Maui due to heavy seas and the next

morning, as we headed into the harbor at Kauai, the Captain

changed his mind, turned the ship, and cruised around the island

and we never saw Kauai. Next trip was 10 days on land (flying

over) and have seen just about everything, but KAUAI. Please

don't tell me, we may miss it again.... We lived aboard our

yacht for 10 yrs in LA harbor, so not worried about a little rough

seas, but would hate to miss Kauai again or we'll have to take

another trip to Hawaii !!!

Me thinks it was the trade winds that closed the port for the Golden on her last visit. If I remember the trade winds start in October and carry on for for a few months. The entrance to the port in Kauai is pretty tight for a big ship and while it is traveling at 5 to 8 kts and winds at 20 to 30 kts it would be tough to get the Golden into the port. While your trip in April it should be fine and the trade winds should have disappeared and maybe this time you should make Kauai.

Good Luck and enjoy

Archived