OWB, OMG!! (IC Tahiti)

lam7609

Just got my packet from Star Clippers and my hotel vouchers have me in an OWB. I was not expecting this. Do they generally honor what's on the vouchers? Also, are the buganlows nice and/or safe here? Maybe they are just slow on business... Also, does anyone know what time breakfast is at the IC?

Karyn

Just got my packet from Star Clippers and my hotel vouchers have me in an OWB. I was not expecting this. Do they generally honor what's on the vouchers? Also, are the buganlows nice and/or safe here? Maybe they are just slow on business... Also, does anyone know what time breakfast is at the IC?

Karyn

Sure--they are safe--have stayed there many times--on both sides of the property--ENJOY

Breakfast----I don't get moving early--but--don't remember breakfast being over when I was ready--hope that breakfast is in your plan!!!!--

If not put that in your next post and I'll tell you how to beat the breakfast (expesive) system!!!

The panoramic rooms are also great--think that is a step down from OWB---just love OWB--my favorites are at the IC Bora Bora--prefer them to IC Papette--but any OWB is good--I think!!!

Nancy:D

Ia orana

golden rule for us is to check at first the A la carte items and to pay a visit to the buffet.

When one consider teh cost of the buffet breakfast, also consider how much food you plan to eat.

point and case

a recent stay at the hotel Bora Bora (now closed) offered the choice of a great buffet that for 2 came at over 3 times what we paid with a a la carte order of fresh fruits, a basket of Croissants with the most sinfull coconut jam and 2 cappucino.

Another experience at le Taha'a with the best ever coconut husk smoked salmon prepared with coconut milk, croissant with homemade jams and coffeee that came up at a third of the cost of the buffet breakfast.

Ditto for the last stay at the Four Seasons Bora Bora with a careful selection of items brought to our OWB in all comfort with the million dollar view for a lower cost than the buffet.

Unless your last name is Shreck and that you are still enjoying the royalties from your cartoon as the lead role as an ogre,... read twice before ordering.

Should you plan to purchase in advance your package, refrain from pre-purchasing your meal plans since that would limit your choices or ability to select the most cost effective option. (unused meals are not refundable)

Hope this helps

meherio

I agree with you on the ala carte menu first--it's a great saving at IC Papette--although some of the folks I've told to ask for the ala carte menu at the dining room are told there is no such thing--welllllll there is--we always use it for breakfast--order an omlette and get potatoes, fruit, all kinds of breakfast meat without ordering it--haven't been there since March--it was probably about $11 or $12 USD--Used to be about $9 or $10----so much less than the lowest of their 3 buffets--don't know what they charge for the cold buffet--continental breakfast---certainly more than ala carte.

Okay, Nancy, if one asks for the ala carte menu and are told there is no such thing, how does one convince the

host(ess)/server that there is and to bring it?

I'm a light breakfast eater, and sure would not be interested in a buffet meal.

When the waitress comes to your table--just tell her you would like to see the ala carte menu--if you're told we don't have one--tell her VERY POLITELY- that you know that they do have one and you would like to see it

I have heard from cc folks who have been told that there is none--but---after that time--March of this year--we asked and it showed up every day--no fussing

When you go to the hostesses desk you'll notice (usually) 3 buffet menus for breakfast--you won't see the ala carte menu--not in plain view

If you will be staying on the weekend when they have a show--it's usually $100 pp USD--you can see the show by sitting at the side and eating your dinner there--go early for a good seat and again order your dinner from the regular menu--the $100 meal is a seafood buffet and a seat on the lower part of the restaurant close to the stage

Have a great trip

Want a great meal--Great Gourmet dinner onBora Bora--if interested ask

Meherio how to make reservations--beef with vanilla sauce and all GOOD things--what an evening

Disappointed... I called Intercontenental to confirm my room and I am in a regular Lagoon view. Star Clippers said is was probably a "typo", they never give out bungalows... The woman wasn't very nice about it. I've called about 2 things, and both times they acted like they didn't want to talk to a mere travel consumer. Anyone else have this feeling? I hope they are a lot nicer onboard. Sorry to be such a downer, I was just so excited:( .

KARYN

Karyn

Guess everyone knows but me--What is/are Star Clippers??????

Thanks, Nancy.

I would be polite, but firm.

We arrive on Friday evening at 7:30. I read that there's a "Bounty" buffet on Saturday for dinner. Not sure if that's primarily seafood, but if it is, I'd love it.

Disappointed... I called Intercontenental to confirm my room and I am in a regular Lagoon view. Star Clippers said is was probably a "typo", they never give out bungalows... The woman wasn't very nice about it. I've called about 2 things, and both times they acted like they didn't want to talk to a mere travel consumer. Anyone else have this feeling? I hope they are a lot nicer onboard. Sorry to be such a downer, I was just so excited:( .

KARYN

Well, you never know what might happen when you arrive. If you look unhappy enough, maybe they'll upgrade you??? Don't know if that happens there.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time, it's a pretty hotel, although I've not been ever impressed by the staff or the service.

Please do tell us all about the Star Clipper when you come back, we're all dying to know what it's like.

• 1 month later...

We booked a panorama room at the IC in Tahiti for 2 days post cruise. It was early Dec. and they were about 25% occupied. When we arrived, they upgraded us to an OWB. It was beautiful. We had a view of Moorea, and the sunset. The property is beautiful.

Karyn

Here are some pictures of the IC that we took in Novermber of this year,

Meals were very high. But we ate buffee breakfest two morrings. I ate so that I did not have to have a lunch and did not eat dinner till 6 at night. Our total bill for two days for the five of us was $725.00 Not cheap.

I asked to be in the new section when I arrived. I was told that I wouldn't be there because I'd booked garden view. But then the desk clerk found that I had been upgraded to panaramic view. So, there is a chance for an upgrade. I took snacks for breakfast. The fish sandwhich I had for lunch - mahi, I think - was large enough that I could have shared it and then the price would have been reasonable for 2. The pizza I had for dinner was very good and I had enough left over for breakfast the next morning. And I'm a big eater. So, splitting things is a definite option for reducing food cost.

I asked to be in the new section when I arrived. I was told that I wouldn't be there because I'd booked garden view. But then the desk clerk found that I had been upgraded to panaramic view. So, there is a chance for an upgrade. I took snacks for breakfast. The fish sandwhich I had for lunch - mahi, I think - was large enough that I could have shared it and then the price would have been reasonable for 2. The pizza I had for dinner was very good and I had enough left over for breakfast the next morning. And I'm a big eater. So, splitting things is a definite option for reducing food cost.

I know I sound stupid--having stayed there many times--but---where is the new section ???????

I had read a post that said the new section was much nicer and to try to stay there. But I don't know if it's actually new or jut renovated- probably renovated. The desk clerk seemed to know there was a difference. So, I ended up in whatever the new section is. Facing the hotel from the lagoon, I was in the last or next to last building on the right.

I had read a post that said the new section was much nicer and to try to stay there. But I don't know if it's actually new or jut renovated- probably renovated. The desk clerk seemed to know there was a difference. So, I ended up in whatever the new section is. Facing the hotel from the lagoon, I was in the last or next to last building on the right.

That's so funny--our WORST room ever was at the farthest right--I think in the last building--on either the 2nd or 3rd floor--should have been a beautiful view but--a tree growing at the side of the building was totally over our balcony--with just loads of birds calling it home--you could see nowhere but inside the tree--and of course getting a lot of droppings from the birds on the balcony because the tree was hanging overit--couldn't change rooms--said there weren't any to change to--we still went back again--love it there.

speaking of food--we never had lunch--especially when we learned how to get the complete breakfast for $9/10 USD a few years ago

We just got back from Star Clippers, Star Flyer..she is a 4 masted sailing schooner and sails from Papeete to all the Islands. We had 142 on board..its very relaxed and casual and is a great way to go if you enjoy sailing as you can particpate. No balcony, one meal time but can get into small habors..we loved her..there is a section on the boards for her..go check her out..we will sail her again somewhere else!

We had a day room at the Radisson post cruise that was wonderful..we also split a club sandwich..

Sherry

Archived