question for Mr. Barbados

gypsygirl

[quote name='gypsygirl']We plan to have lunch at the Waterfront Cafe. My husband isn't able to walk a long distance. What are our choices in getting there and back?[/QUOTE]
Well, I think that your best choice is a taxi.

When you exit the cruise terminal, find the taxi captain. He’s the guy in the brown-official-looking uniform and tell him the same thing that you told me.

It shouldn’t be more than a US$5-6 ride there for the both of you but……

Please understand that the taxis are looking for long fares and if they do a short one (7-10 minutes), they’ll miss the folks that want to go to the east coast, so sometimes they are hesitant or raise their fares.

Stand fast. It shouldn’t be more than a US$8 fare there, worst-case condition.

If your husband is able to walk out to Spring Garden Hwy (about ¼-1/3 mile), you can catch the shuttle that will drop you off close to the Waterfront for US$ 1.00/ea.

My best wishes for a happy and fun time on the island (try the flying fish at the Waterfront, it’s great!) :)

Thanks for the prompt answer. We'll be in Barbados on the 17th. I definitely plan on trying the flying fish sandwich. I've heard so much about it. Another thought that I had - have the taxi take us on about a two hour tour and the drop us off at the restaurant. What do you think of that idea?

[quote name='gypsygirl']Thanks for the prompt answer. We'll be in Barbados on the 17th. I definitely plan on trying the flying fish sandwich. I've heard so much about it. Another thought that I had - have the taxi take us on about a two hour tour and the drop us off at the restaurant. What do you think of that idea?[/QUOTE]

An Excellent idea. I was going to suggest that but didn’t know if it was an option for you.

I’d just give the driver your time limit and give him free reign. They really know their island and love to show it off. In a couple of hours you should be able to see a good portion of the west and south coasts with a little time to stop and stretch.

Again, my best wishes for a wonderful time on the island! :)

[quote name='cruisequeen007']we have about 8 hours in Barbados. What is in walking distance of the ship dock? We are interested in Mt Gay Rum, lighthouses, and some shopping?
THanks,
Joanne[/QUOTE]
Not a whole lot, unfortunately.

Pelican Village is just down the street from the gatehouse with local art and crafts and such.

The closest lighthouse is down at Needham’s Point, about two miles SE.

The Barbados Museum is north of the lighthouse a couple of blocks.

The Old Synagogue is about ½ mile from Pelican Village as are the Parliament Buildings, National Heroes Square and the Careenage.

Queen’s Park and St. Michael’s Cathedral are a little east of the Careenage.

Serious shopping is north about one mile on Broadstreet in Bridgetown.

Mt. Gay Rum is about one mile North.

Best bet is go see Pelican Village, then walk up to Cheapside and catch a shuttle for US$1.00 and ride into downtown B-Town for some shopping. Then take the shuttle again to the Mt. Gay Rum Visitor’s Centre, and again down to see the Needham’s Point Lighthouse.

Cheap, fun and entertaining! What could be better? :)

Have a great time on the island! :)

The public bus service is great and cheap, why walk? You can see some great parts of the island for just $1.50 round trip. You can take a bus/cheap tour around the island on the public buses for $1.50. Crane Beach is a little far should be worth the $1.5. Then there is Folkestone beach, and other beaches around. Shopping is great at Pelican Mall, also try shops called Cave Shepherd and Harrison's. My $.02.

[quote name='cruisequeen007']Thanks for the quick replies.
I was wondering is there a charge for the Mount Gay Rum Distillery?[/QUOTE]

Last time that I checked it was US$10 for the 45 minute tour.

They also offer a lunch tour but I didn't make a mental note of the cost.

Have a great time! :)

Archived