first timer, ncl spirit 12/17/04

petunia670

Hi, I'm new to the boards and to cruising, so I'd love to hear some input from some of the seasoned cruisers, if you have some time to spare.... My Dad is celebrating his 60th birthday, so my Mom and I decided to surprise him w/ a Southern Caribbean cruise 12/17 - 12/26.

[list]
[*]I'm 34 and staying in their cabin, will I be ready to jump overboard?:p
[*]Are there activities & entertainment geared at my age group and not just older or far younger cruisers?
[*]Do you think the ship has anything planned for Christmas day itself, which we will be at see. I'm nervous that Christmas will come and go as if it's just another day.
[/list]Also, any other tips, suggestions about shore excursions, restaurants etc. would be greatly appreciated. Anybody going to be on that cruise? I'd love to meet you! Thanks in advance for all your help!:)

Hi Petunia -

I think you picked a great gift for your Dad - I will be cruising on the Spirit over Thanksgiving and it will be my fourth cruise but my first on NCL.

From what I hear, the cabins are very small - hope you get along great with your parents ;) . However, there are so many things to do around the ship, you probably won't be spending much time in your cabin. They generally have activities for all age groups, depending on what you like to do. Plus, for five days straight, you will be at port each day.

Not sure how NCL handles Christmas. Enjoy your holidays aboard the ship!

Hi Libby,

Thanks for your reply. I do get along well with my parents, but did let them know they're free to roam about the ship, wink wink! It sounds like you have the same idea in mind with regards to cruising over the holidays. I hope you have a great trip. I look forward to seeing your posts once you return.

[quote name='petunia670'] I'm 34 and staying in their cabin, will I be ready to jump overboard? Do you think the ship has anything planned for Christmas day itself, which we will be at see. I'm nervous that Christmas will come and go as if it's just another day.[/QUOTE] Welcome to the board and to cruising. First, I'm 34 and if I had to share a room with my parents I'd probably jump overboard. :o Well, maybe not overboard but I'd wish I had my own space. Those rooms can get crowded. And two, Christmas is an event on the ship. They decorate, have a special meal, and oftentimes have a special Christmas concert or musical performances that includes passengers. I spent Christmas 2001 on the Wind and it was great. Have fun!

[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Hi Petunia!
Several of us have just returned from the 10/22 sailing of the Spirit which was the first 9 day cruise! Look for posts by myself, Curious Jan, lazygal and JUSRN for some thoughts on the cruise!
Host Cecilia is right about wanting your own private space! My parents were with us on this cruise(separate cabins) and I can't tell you how many times my dad commented they don't know how they would have managed with a third person(even a small child)in the cabin! There was a bed that could be pulled down from the wall and a another mattress underneath one of the beds! If you have an inside cabin the beds really need to remain separate to have any walking space at all in the cabin! One thing you could do is shower and get dressed at the spa area!
I will try to answer any questions you may have! Welcome to cruise critic![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hey guys! Thanks for your suggestions. I know the living quarters are going to be tight, but I just can't see paying double to have my own room, when I fall asleep immediately. I love the idea of showering in the spa area. That's too funny! :)

I will look for your posts from the 10/22 cruise. I hope you had a great time. I can't wait to hear all about it. Thanks for the warm welcome. This board has been so helpful!;)

Archived