Any tips on the Port of Baltimore?

dwdwnurse

I haven't been on NCL out of Baltimore since they were out of the Dundalk terminal (now its the Locust Point terminal). I have, however, taken Royal Caribbean out of this point several times since from 2005-2007 they were the only line going out of Baltimore (I hate to fly and the port is 20 minutes from home).

The port is easy to get to. Just be in the right lane. The exit is the last exit before the tunnel if coming North or the first exit after the tunnel if coming South. Parking is easy and the lot is secured while the ship is gone.

Parking went up to $13.00 a day for the 2008 season and I think it is expected to stay there for the 2009 season. For the first time in 2008 it could be paid with a credit card and not just cash.

Looking at the times the ships get back I'm going to assume that NCL is similar to RCL in terms of how long it takes people to get of the ship and when tney start letting people on. RCL usually has the last call to get off the ship about 10:15. They usually start letting the next group on about 11 (assuming everything goes properly and it normally does).

Parking is quite close to the ship. There is a section of the lot that they don't use until later that is a little further away (usually seems to be used about 2 hours before sailing). They will run a van between this lot and the building where you would check in. I'm a slow walker and it probably wouldn't be much more than a five minute walk from the further lot for me.

The employees at Port of Baltimore are very friendly and very efficientl We can leave home at 10:15 and be through security to get on the parking lot (takes 20 minutes to get there), drop off our luggage, pay for parking, park, get my laptop through security (am in grad school and have to take it) check in, have pictures taken and be ready to get on board at 11. We're usually not the first ones checked in at this time either.

It is interesting to be on deck about 45 minutes after sailaway when you go under the Key Bridge. Also will go under the Annapolis Bay Bridge about 2 hours after sailaway. Grandeur (RCI's ship) is slightly larger than Majisty but not by much. Grandeur clears these bridges by about 15 feet so I doubt Majisty will have a lot more clearance. There are also some interesting communities to watch along the shoreline during these times.

If I haven't answered any question, please ask.

Archived