Snacks on board...help

WHENNEY

i take all sorts of food when we go to land. It saves a bunch of money from having to buy food. Just go to the buffett and stock up. they say not to bring anything for health reasons but I think they just want you to buy food in their country at very high prices. go ahead and do it, we have never been caught.

I can't believe you haven't ever heard of the food you take from the ship could cause problems with the ecology of the islands. Did you ever hear of how California lost millions of dollars because of fruit fly infestations?

It's not because the cruise lines don't want you to take the food. I can't believe you are so uncaring about anyone/thing than yourself. Just because you haven't been caught, doesn't mean it's right. Look at the people who have robbed, stolen etc and haven't gotten caught. Does that make it right?

Some islands have strict laws and heavy fines if you bring food to them. Packaged food is ok, but stocking up at the buffet is not allowed.

Please re-think what you are doing. The whole world doesn't revolve around you. Sorry to say.

"i take all sorts of food when we go to land. It saves a bunch of money from having to buy food. Just go to the buffett and stock up. they say not to bring anything for health reasons but I think they just want you to buy food in their country at very high prices. go ahead and do it, we have never been caught."

Wow did you read any of the signs when you disembarked? The fine in Cozumel was $25,000 for anything perishable is how I believe it was worded.. I had an apple in my backpack and tossed it. I didn't think about parasites, et al. I sure did not want to pay 25k for one apple though. ;)

I pack prepackaged snacks like granola bars and crackers w/cheese or pb, we are also allowed for medical reasons to carry juice boxes onto a plane so I have those also. The very first time we cruised after dx I called the cruiseline and confirmed it was ok that I carry these items on/off the ship. In the 10 years that we have cruised since dx, we have never been questioned going on or off the ship with these items. I also carry glucose tabs and frosting tubes.

We have found cruiselines to be very accomodating for medical issues, and like another poster said, I would notify the cruiselines so that they are aware.

Good luck, Elaine

Carnival does have a medical form that the op should complete. I know because I called them a couple weeks ago regarding my 6 year old having food allergies. I wanted to make sure this was something they could work with before we booked her on the cruise. They emailed me the form to complete and told me how they would work with us in the dining room.

But now, here is my concern. What about food when we go in port? How will I explain to a waiter/waitress that my dd cannot have anything containing milk or nuts? It's difficult to get through to restuarants in English, let alone the language barrier.

Will I be safe in taking her prepackaged chips and fruit snacks? I know she can't live on them for the entire day, but for a bit she'd be ok. Just want to make sure I'm not going to be breaking any laws by doing that. :eek:

Carnival does have a medical form that the op should complete. I know because I called them a couple weeks ago regarding my 6 year old having food allergies. I wanted to make sure this was something they could work with before we booked her on the cruise. They emailed me the form to complete and told me how they would work with us in the dining room.

But now, here is my concern. What about food when we go in port? How will I explain to a waiter/waitress that my dd cannot have anything containing milk or nuts? It's difficult to get through to restuarants in English, let alone the language barrier.

Will I be safe in taking her prepackaged chips and fruit snacks? I know she can't live on them for the entire day, but for a bit she'd be ok. Just want to make sure I'm not going to be breaking any laws by doing that. :eek:

Prepackaged snacks are fine. It's fresh foods like fruit and meat that aren't allowed.

In tourist areas, most employees should speak english.

I'd take some snacks but you can always go to a restuarant and see. I think you'd be pretty safe in a restuarant that caters to tourists as far as being able to make sure that a particular item doesn't have milk or nuts.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I don't want to break any laws or upset a country's eco system. I want people to respect my country when they come here, I plan to do the same in theirs. Plus, there is enough damage being done to this world (just look at the stuff people throw out their car windows). I will definately bring my own food, prepackaged.

kudos...I like your attitude

yea.. we can tell..

How come you never come back after stiring up the pot? Perhaps because you are a low life troll

Thank you for saying this. She was kicked off the boards once already, has the same name as before with a 2 at the end now. Pretty original huh?.....

Hi, I am a first time cruiser and am wondering about taking food off the ship. My son is on medication and he needs to eat every 2 hours or so. I know there will be plenty of food on the ship, but what about while we are at port and on excursions? A friend suggested I take tupperware and put fruit from the buffett tables - but I'm not sure that's allowed. Should I bring my own snacks and just put them in my backpack--I'm not sure I'm allowed to bring food from home on the cruise. We leave next weekend and I'm getting concerned about this (I know I should have thought of this earlier, but somehow this one slipped thru the cracks :confused: ).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.

To the other posters, this is not about saving money or being cheap, it is a medical issue. Advising someone to sneak food off the ship can put this child at risk if the food is confiscated.

I am the mother of a type 1 diabetic child who MUST have snacks available, especially during activities when he is at risk for low blood sugar. I always have pre-packaged snacks for my son, cheese & crackers, fruit cups, single serving peanut butter and packaged crackers, cereal bars, juice boxes. You get the picture.

I would not recommend sneaking food off the ship, or at least not depend on it as the only option.

Thank you for saying this. She was kicked off the boards once already, has the same name as before with a 2 at the end now. Pretty original huh?.....

I noticed that as well. :o)

To the OP, just want to second the idea that the onboard shops do sell prepackaged snacks at reasonable prices. Things like chips, nuts, etc. Just know it is an option if you need it!

Happy Cruising!

To the OP, just want to second the idea that the onboard shops do sell prepackaged snacks at reasonable prices. Things like chips, nuts, etc. Just know it is an option if you need it!

Also, most ports will have convenience-type stores very near the cruise terminal where you can easily pick up a snack at prices that are not outrageous by U.S. standards. Carry snacks from home if it is convenient, but there is no need to drive yourself crazy over it unless your child is extremely particular and needs to have ONE special thing...

Also, most ports will have convenience-type stores very near the cruise terminal where you can easily pick up a snack at prices that are not outrageous by U.S. standards. Carry snacks from home if it is convenient, but there is no need to drive yourself crazy over it unless your child is extremely particular and needs to have ONE special thing...

It depends on how many snacks are needed in the ports. Bringing enough snacks with you when boarding the ships is more convenient and can save money if you buy them on sale. You have more variety in healthy choices that may not be available on board or in the ports. Plus it is one less thing to worry about.

For my son, low blood sugar is an immediate life threaten need. Believe me, when you have a child air lifted in a low blood sugar coma, you worry about silly things like having enough snacks.

Archived