Disney Wonder w/5 month old Review

rolloman

Mom, Dad and baby just got back from a 3 day Bahamas. I will start by saying I was nervous about several issues taking our infant onboard. It turns out there was nothing to be nervous about at all.

Embarkation- was a breeze, several people directing you where to drop bags, where to park. Once inside we were greeted by Mickey and took a quick photo and then immediately checked in with no waiting. Once on board you are greeting over the intercom by family name (nice touch). Lunch was served on the same level you enter, which is nice as you can relax and get your bearings before setting off to explore the ship. Rooms were ready at 1pm.

Muster Drill- Ok having sailed on many lines, this is always one of the worst times of cruising. Not this time, Disney made it easy for us. The baby did not have to sit with her lifevest and they even let mom and her leave early after checking off our cabin. Turns out this was the easiest drill I have ever been a part of.

Room- We booked an inside guarantee and we were given the worst cabin on the ship. The room itself was nice, large enough for stoller, pack in play, and luggage. I will suggest if you book a cat 12 be prepared to get one. There are only a few and the location is brutal. Forward, deck 2 and under a couple night clubs and next to the crew entrance, this results in all hour noise. Especially on luggage night- brutal. Twice now in all my sailings I have booked inside guarantee cabins and this was a grim reminder never to do it again. 0-2

Ship- Beautiful, the lay out was perfect. Dining all the way to the back, entertainment all the way forward. Clean ship, well kept, this ship is designed for kids and their well being. 5 stars.

Staff- I can not say enough about the care and quality of the entire staff. They took care of anything and everything. I can't count the times I stood enjoying the smiles and glee of children having a good time.

Flounders Nursery- Incredible, our daughter had never been to a nursery in her young life. We had no idea what to expect and feared the worst. We booked and used all 10 hours and the baby loved it. The women who work there are extremely professional, caring, loving. The facility has every ammenity invented. Our daughter actually held her little arms out with a big smile on the third evening when we dropped her off. This experience by itself will bring us back to Disney.

Food- Very good. Nice selections. Restaurants were unique. Sorry to Royal Caribbean chops restaurant you just moved below Palos in the all time favorite desert. Your mud pie is no match for the chocolate indulgence. Man was that good!

Shows- All Disney- If you are a big lover of Disney shows do not miss these as they basically recap all your favorites. My only concern was the volume was "Extremely Loud" so much so we could not bring our daughter into see them. I am deaf in one ear and can not hear out of the other and it bothered me so I have to tell you it was loud.

Adult Areas- Strictly enforced, Cadillac lounge was the nice area to have a pre-dinner drink, what an awesome quiet romantic piano bar setting. Diversions Sports bar had all the games and it was similar to any sports bar on land. Pool area quiet, lots of loungers available. Palos restaurant, very nice, elegant. It is a coin flip on your part as to whether it is worth the extra dollars as all food and restaurants anywhere onboard were enjoyable.

Castaway Cay- I actually explored the island early prior to meeting up with the family. I rented a bike for 6 bucks and just took off. This is the best private island out there. RCCL Labadee ranks a distant second. Beautiful water, combed sand beaches. Lots of umbrellas and palm trees. We found one away from the masses and put out a little blanked for our daughter and we all just relaxed. Just a perfect stop for a beach day that will encompass any related desire you have.

ReCap- Positives- staff, everyone is made to feel special especially your little ones. The ship is above average, good food and activities. Flounders Nursery can not me matched.

Negatives- Class 12 cabins, if you roll the dice, pray for an upgrade. Shows can be extremely loud.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Well thought out and written review! Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

It's especially helpful to hear how things worked with the baby. I'd like to take all of my grown kids and grandkids on a DCL but I can never seem to time it when someone isn't under a year old!:eek: It's good to know they can work around it okay on the ship.

Archived