Packing questions

FluffyN

The cruise leaves friday (NCL Sun) and I'm working hard getting all the packing done - hope some more experienced cruisers can help with random last minute questions that I'm sure to have! This is the 1st cruise for all 4 of us! (The kids are 4 and 2.)

First 2 questions-

1. What kind of pajamas do you bring for the kids? Does it get cold in the rooms or hot and stuffy? Fleece footies or lighter cotton jammies?

2. Snacks - I'm thinking of bringing some granola bars, graham crackers, peanut butter, dried fruit/raisins, goldfish. Is that a good idea? My kids are grazers more than big meal eaters and I want to avoid low blood sugar related meltdowns as much as possible.

When the kids were younger, I always took lightweight long PJs for cruising. With the AC on overnight, the room can get cool and neither of my kids would stay under a blanket. Take along a set of shorts PJs in case it not cool, but in 12 cruises, we've never had a warm room.

I usually take a snack or two (maybe a box of granola bars and a box of PB cheese crackers) for excursions. Don't go nuts with the snacks though, as food will be readily available onboard the ship.

I agree with the long pant pj's. My DS (6) will not stay under the covers. As for the snacks, I always take a few of the kids favorites. I don't pack the peanut butter anymore (I used to - as that was the only protein that I could get DS to eat). I have been able to pick up the individual servings of peanut butter on the buffet in the mornings. Maybe bring the individual servings of gold fish or raisins. But, I'm sure there is more snack type foods on the cruise than you are counting on.

We always pack some sort of snack because with all the food on the ship, there is some days not much to take off for shore excursions. Usually I take a box of fruit snacks, goldfish, pb crackers and individually wrapped candy like starbursts. It's keeps the kids occupied at the airport, waiting in lines and shore excursions. Usually for breakfast I will grab a couple of boxes of cereal for the room and we take baggies so that we can take maybe grapes or strawberries from the buffet.

My kids have always had short pjs or nightgown except in Alaska. The last cruise we had to keep our curtains closed or it would be hot in the room.

My DS has always been fine in the light cotton PJ's. Some nights he slept in a onesie and no blanket and was fine. He is a hot natured child.

Not sure how old your children are...but...

We found snacks to be our best friend on our last cruise. His first cruise at 11 months he wanted to "DEAT" every 2 hours. We just returned from the Disney Magic (he was 17 months)...between teething and not liking the food, he mainly ate our snacks the entire week. Occasionally he'd eat fruit or cheese from the ship.

Pajamas ~ I always pack cotton pajamas that consist of long pants and a combination of short and long sleeve tops. Then if our room tends to be cooler/warmer we have some flexibility in what they wear. We do tend to find them to be cooler overall, though.

Snacks ~ We don't take a bunch (mostly because while at sea pretty much the only acceptable snack is the 24 hr frozen yogurt) but we do throw a few things in just to have for excurison. There is always the boxed cereral from the buffet or room service that works great as a snack too. Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruit Loops, etc.

Have an A~M~A~Z~I~N~G trip!

Thanks all! I won't go too crazy with the snacks. Luckily we won't have any travel (other than a 45 minute drive) so that makes it easier.

I'm starting to get worried that my 2yo is going to be completely bored on the ship. Any suggestions for keeping him entertained? He's potty trained so we can take him in the splash pool, but what else? I don't think we'll be able to leave him in the "kids crew" programs because he still needs quite a bit of help using the toilet. I'm trying to keep in mind that I know lots of people who have enjoyed cruises with young kids so I'm sure we will be no different. Right? :p

Archived