Are there PRIVATE DRIVERS at the dock in Civitavecchia looking for customers?

We are thinking of hiring a private driver when we arrive in Civitavecchia to take us to Tarquinia to see the Etruscan tombs and the museum, and maybe have a nice lunch and do a little wine tasting. :)

My husband is suggesting that instead of booking a private driver ahead of time we can simply hire one at the dock...without a reservation. He is sure there will be drivers for hire at the dock.

I have sailed into Civitavecchia before, but I can't for the life of me remember if there are drivers standing around looking for customers there. I have seen this at some ports, but I just can't remember if it happens there. Does anybody know?

Just a note - we are not interested in taking public transportation for this visit.

We are thinking of hiring a private driver when we arrive in Civitavecchia to take us to Tarquinia to see the Etruscan tombs and the museum, and maybe have a nice lunch and do a little wine tasting. :)

My husband is suggesting that instead of booking a private driver ahead of time we can simply hire one at the dock...without a reservation. He is sure there will be drivers for hire at the dock.

I have sailed into Civitavecchia before, but I can't for the life of me remember if there are drivers standing around looking for customers there. I have seen this at some ports, but I just can't remember if it happens there. Does anybody know?

Just a note - we are not interested in taking public transportation for this visit.

Somewhere there is a previous thread that says if you take the shuttle into Civitavecchia there are taxi drivers who will take you to Tarquinia. Just be sure to negotiate price with them ahead of time. I can't remember now how I searched for the thread.....maybe with Civitavecchia.

Somewhere there is a previous thread that says if you take the shuttle into Civitavecchia there are taxi drivers who will take you to Tarquinia. Just be sure to negotiate price with them ahead of time. I can't remember now how I searched for the thread.....maybe with Civitavecchia.

I tried searching under Civitavecchia, I tried "taxi to Tarquinia", I tried 'private driver at the dock, Civitavecchia', 'transportation to Tarquinia', and every other combination of key words I can think of. I am running out of ideas! :p

That's why I started this thread thinking someone might at least remember whether they have seen drivers looking to be hired, and at least by getting an answer I will know if that possibility even exists for us.

Hi TexasHorseLady,

I will be staying in Civitavecchia before our cruise and have been collecting bits and pieces of information about the town. Here is what one poster said about taking the bus. I have no idea where I found it. You could search one of the phrases in the post on Google advanced search to find it on CC.

We asked where to get the bus for Tarquinia--and were given a bus schedule and told that there was a bus stop down the street--we should ask there. But there was a big bus stop across from the church in the main square. We found out that was where the stop is .

As we started down the street we noticed the sea was ahead, so we walked down to the seaside promenade and headed in the direction of the port and the castle. At the end of the promenade there was a TI booth and weasked about the bus. Up two blocks to your left. Sure enough--big bus stop, but no place to buy tickets!!! We went in a store phrase book in hand to ask. In English was told in the front of the church--well that didn't seem right, but we went in the church--no tickets, pretty church and went back to the bus stop...phrase book in hane to ask about tickets--an English speaking angel told us to go down a block (where we just were) and buy one from the newstand. Tickets are 2 euro each way.

Our English angel told us which bus to take and where to get off --in retrosect it was common sense but after the ticket fiasco we were a bit rattled.

The town of Tarquinia is fabulous. Even if you aren't into the Etruscan stuff this is worth a visit if you have done Rome too many times. It is the way Tuscany was before Tuscany was discovered I think. A little walled gem with one of the most interesting museums tucked in an ancient palace. Then we walked to the Necropolis--and walked and left the gated town--and walked through the burbs to get to it. Absolutely AMAZING!!!! There are aroung 15-20 tombs on this hill. You go in a little door for each one and down a staircase. At the bottom you press a light button and the most vivid paintings are shown--and they are all different!!! These date back to 500BC and everything is still so bright and in such detail. This was definately worth the effort!!!

The walk back to the bus was easier--first it was downhill and second we knew where we were going. As we got to the stop the bus pulled up and soon we were back in Civ.

Here's another post I collected:

Civitavecchia - while everyone was off to Rome we again walked around the town - then decided to check out the roman baths on the edge of town, so picked up a taxi the guy spoke no english, but we worked out there wasn't much to see he suggested a wee village 20mins away so we thought why not !!

What a lovely day we had - not a tourist in sight and this wee man racing up and down streets in this hilltop village called Tarquinia taking us to all the sights. We saw a church built by the crusaders - a young guy was showing people around and was ready to lock up, he then spoke to us and gave us the history of the church which was fascinating - on our way out the fireman had pulled up in a jeep the lady who lived next to the church had locked herself out and the firemen had the ladder out to get in through the window lol

The little lady knew the taxi man and she spoke english - so she explained where he was taking us next and we asked her to thank him for us ( this is the lady with her back to us )

We also checked out the local musem which was very good !!! part of the cost we also got to see the Necropolis on the edge of town - tombs, 60 of which include wall paintings - you go down stairs and push a button and the tombs light up they were stunning - they are all scattered over a small hillside.

A day we'll never forget !!

Hope this helps a little.

OK. I Will answer your question :)

Yes. There will be drivers at the port entrance waiting for fares. You will need to get to the port entrance.(Walk or take shuttle). The drivers are not allowed down to the ships to wait for fares but can deliver you back to the gangway at the end of your day.

We did this and picked up a great driver with a newer Mercedes van who drove us around for the day. I could give you his name but you said you didn't want that :) .

Best of luck. You will be fine.

yes there are drivers there but the port is huge and they are at the entrance which can be quite a distance. You probably won't save any money by doing this and remember you will have to pay in euros any way. Wouldn't it be better to book a private car if that is what you are interested in and know the cost before the cruise?

Also the port is not very walker friendly (not sidewalks everywhere). There will be many buses, cars, etc driving to and from the port so it will be very busy.

I did a b2b last year so we spent time there. Unlike many ports, there are no taxi or private car drivers waiting to take passengers on local tours. The few taxi's near the ship are snapped up early and take people to Rome or the airport. Also, at the shuttle stop near town (by the Fort) , we saw no taxi's at all. I am sure you can find a taxi a few blocks up in town. Frankly we had a nice day in town. There is an open air market, lots of places to eat and a small museum or two.

...Frankly we had a nice day in town. There is an open air market, lots of places to eat and a small museum or two.

But I am a history fanatic...and with Tarqunia right up the road I don't think I'd be happy just looking around Civitavecchia. If worse comes to worse I will take the ship tour that goes to Tarquinia. The problem with that is it's a very short visit and not as in-depth as I would like, but better than not going.

yes there are drivers there but the port is huge and they are at the entrance which can be quite a distance. You probably won't save any money by doing this and remember you will have to pay in euros any way. Wouldn't it be better to book a private car if that is what you are interested in and know the cost before the cruise?

Also the port is not very walker friendly (not sidewalks everywhere). There will be many buses, cars, etc driving to and from the port so it will be very busy.

It's not about saving money, we realize it will cost more and we're ok with paying more to be spontaneous. I realize the smart thing to do would be to book a private driver ahead of time, but there are two reasons that's not going to happen.

1) My husband insists we can find a private driver at the docks and trying to convince him otherwise would be like trying to move a mountain. He won't believe he's wrong unless I can come up with difinitive proof that there are none... or he will believe it when he sees with his own eyes after we get there and there are no drivers.

Or maybe there will be drivers and he will be correct!

So far I have gotten mixed answers about whether there will be any:

SWRBucFan said this : Yes. There will be drivers at the port entrance waiting for fares. You will need to get to the port entrance.(Walk or take shuttle). ... Best of luck. You will be fine.

and fBlack said this: ... Unlike many ports, there are no taxi or private car drivers waiting to take passengers on local tours.

So maybe my husband is right...but maybe not. But I have not come up with definitive proof either way.

2) The other reason we aren't booking a driver is a little more complicated but I will try to explain - We are going with a group. A really BIG GROUP of business associates. Out of that group some people might be renting cars...some might have already hired a private driver...some might have another idea altogether and we might be obligated to join them. In any case, we won't know until we get on the ship because these are people we barely know (customers, dealers, distributers, etc) who we never talk to socially but we get to see them on a trip, once a year. It's not a situation where I can call them up ahead of time and say 'hey, would you like to share a private driver'. I don't even know some of their names. So you see, everything HAS to stay spontaneous for social and business reasons. We need to be able to change things at the last minute just in case.

Now if I book the ship cruise to Tarquinia it's a safe bet with an exit plan...because we can always cancel the ship's tour by going to the excursion desk.

But trying to cancel a private driver by reaching some office in Italy on short notice would be a logistical nightmare. And if I can't cancel because I can't get through it would be an expensive 'oops'. The private drivers I have been looking into have been anywhere from $600 to $1,700 a day for this outing, seating six. But I don't know if I will have six...so yet another reason to think twice about it. I don't want to give the office in Italy my credit card info before sailing and then find out I can't get through to them for any number of reasons to cancel...because my cell phone won't work (it did on our last Med cruise, but off and on) ...or there might be 30 people in line at the excursion desk, if I were to try to ask them to help me call...or for all I know the driver's office is closed on that particular day of the week...who knows, it could be an Italian holiday. Maybe they open at noon and maybe I could call and reach a recording telling me that and maybe the recording will be in Italian I would not be able to tell what they are saying!! No, I have been there, done that, on international trips...talk about frustrating! In any case, that's just too big an expense to gamble on trying to cancel on short notice.

So, bottom line, no matter how smart it is to book early, and no matter how great any company is, or any particular driver...we are NOT booking a private driver before we get on the ship.

So, what to do?

If I go ahead and book the ship tour and then we see a private driver when we get off the ship it will be too late to cancel and get our money back from the ship.

If we don't book that ship tour, hoping that there will be a private driver waiting by the docl...and there are none...then we are totally screwed and we are not going to see Tarquinia at all!

:eek:

I was just off the voyager 3 weeks ago, and as someone said from a cruise last year, I did not see any cabs or private drivers unless you had booked one, they were all holding up signs. I personally would book something ahead of time so I knew we would do what we wanted.

When you walked off the ship it was a big empty lot with the private drivers waiting right there and then the tour buses lined up.

I am the person quoted above who took the bus. Part of traveling (for us) is to experience as much local life as we can (considering we are arriving on a cruise ship)

My DH is a history buff--I agree that Tarquinia is something that you should see, but since you are history buffs a ship tour may be frustrating because you will want to spend time in the museum and examine each and every room, and see each tomb that is open instead of a quick run through. the walled city itself is wonderful.

If you cannot find a driver why not take the bus? You could also go to the TI booth and ask for a taxi stand, you would probably find taxis at the train station--or ask at the TI booth where you can call for a taxi. If all that fails you can go local and take the bus.

Once in Tarquinia there is a TI office, you can ask for taxi advice there if you don't want to take the bus back. Please allow yourselves the time to enjoy this special place.

(If I can help with anymore details ask--horsepeople stick together!)

It's not about saving money, we realize it will cost more and we're ok with paying more to be spontaneous. I realize the smart thing to do would be to book a private driver ahead of time, but there are two reasons that's not going to happen.

1) My husband insists we can find a private driver at the docks and trying to convince him otherwise would be like trying to move a mountain. He won't believe he's wrong unless I can come up with difinitive proof that there are none... or he will believe it when he sees with his own eyes after we get there and there are no drivers.

Or maybe there will be drivers and he will be correct!

So far I have gotten mixed answers about whether there will be any:

SWRBucFan said this : Yes. There will be drivers at the port entrance waiting for fares. You will need to get to the port entrance.(Walk or take shuttle). ... Best of luck. You will be fine.

and fBlack said this: ... Unlike many ports, there are no taxi or private car drivers waiting to take passengers on local tours.

So maybe my husband is right...but maybe not. But I have not come up with definitive proof either way.

2) The other reason we aren't booking a driver is a little more complicated but I will try to explain - We are going with a group. A really BIG GROUP of business associates. Out of that group some people might be renting cars...some might have already hired a private driver...some might have another idea altogether and we might be obligated to join them. In any case, we won't know until we get on the ship because these are people we barely know (customers, dealers, distributers, etc) who we never talk to socially but we get to see them on a trip, once a year. It's not a situation where I can call them up ahead of time and say 'hey, would you like to share a private driver'. I don't even know some of their names. So you see, everything HAS to stay spontaneous for social and business reasons. We need to be able to change things at the last minute just in case.

Now if I book the ship cruise to Tarquinia it's a safe bet with an exit plan...because we can always cancel the ship's tour by going to the excursion desk.

But trying to cancel a private driver by reaching some office in Italy on short notice would be a logistical nightmare. And if I can't cancel because I can't get through it would be an expensive 'oops'. The private drivers I have been looking into have been anywhere from $600 to $1,700 a day for this outing, seating six. But I don't know if I will have six...so yet another reason to think twice about it. I don't want to give the office in Italy my credit card info before sailing and then find out I can't get through to them for any number of reasons to cancel...because my cell phone won't work (it did on our last Med cruise, but off and on) ...or there might be 30 people in line at the excursion desk, if I were to try to ask them to help me call...or for all I know the driver's office is closed on that particular day of the week...who knows, it could be an Italian holiday. Maybe they open at noon and maybe I could call and reach a recording telling me that and maybe the recording will be in Italian I would not be able to tell what they are saying!! No, I have been there, done that, on international trips...talk about frustrating! In any case, that's just too big an expense to gamble on trying to cancel on short notice.

So, bottom line, no matter how smart it is to book early, and no matter how great any company is, or any particular driver...we are NOT booking a private driver before we get on the ship.

So, what to do?

If I go ahead and book the ship tour and then we see a private driver when we get off the ship it will be too late to cancel and get our money back from the ship.

If we don't book that ship tour, hoping that there will be a private driver waiting by the docl...and there are none...then we are totally screwed and we are not going to see Tarquinia at all!

:eek:

www.taximed.com :)

We just got back from our Med. cruise a week ago. Yes, there were private drivers at the Civitavecchia dock waiting for business. One driver offered us a tour to Rome but we didn't accept it, as we are going to do it on our own by train.

We just got back from our Med. cruise a week ago. Yes, there were private drivers at the Civitavecchia dock waiting for business. One driver offered us a tour to Rome but we didn't accept it, as we are going to do it on our own by train.

Thank you! I think from the sound of it we can get a private driver...and in the worst case scenario, a taxi.

I really appreciate all the helpful answers!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from this trip...and I will answer my own question so future travelers can learn from this:

There are taxis EVERYWHERE, at every port.

We learned that Taxis are a lot less expensive than private drivers. We paid about $300 Euros for an all day taxi, where a private driver would have cost more than twice that. ALL the taxi drivers speak English and can tell you about things as you drive along, just as any good private driver would. They all waited as we did our things, they let us choose our itinerary as we thought it up (sometimes we changed plans because we drove by something and said hey let's stop there!) they all charged honest rates, they all were polite, professional, and sometimes even funny. One guy sang for us. It was a good experience in every country.

THL where did u end up picking up the taxis.

In Civitavecchia there is a shuttle bus sitting right there when you get off the ship. It takes you to town (not far, just away from the docks...but slightly too far to walk) where there is a taxi stand right there where the bus stops. The taxi company has a little free-standing office where you walk in and say what you're interested in, and they give you a written quote. All very organized and professional. They can also make recommendations for lunch, or things to see if you like.

Hylasgirl lower down this page asked same question and has answers. We got off our ship in Civitavecchia, and got a taxi waiting at dockside which took us to FCO airport.

I just got back from this trip...and I will answer my own question so future travelers can learn from this:

There are taxis EVERYWHERE, at every port.

We learned that Taxis are a lot less expensive than private drivers. We paid about $300 Euros for an all day taxi, where a private driver would have cost more than twice that. ALL the taxi drivers speak English and can tell you about things as you drive along, just as any good private driver would. They all waited as we did our things, they let us choose our itinerary as we thought it up (sometimes we changed plans because we drove by something and said hey let's stop there!) they all charged honest rates, they all were polite, professional, and sometimes even funny. One guy sang for us. It was a good experience in every country.

Just to clarify, you may have had taxis EVERYWHERE, at every port. We didn't. Monte Carlo was totally missed because we had been told the only way up to the top was by climbing the stairs. There was not one taxi, nor one bus anywhere to be found. We finally found an information office and found there was an elevator, but it was already 4:00 and we were leaving at 5:00 so thought it too late to make the trek then.

Katakalon also was missing taxis until you got right to the edge of town, then who needs one. And there was no shuttle, just your own two feet for the long trek off the pier and to the town. We were looking for the train station to go to Olympia, but never found it. So returned to the ship after shopping in town.

And there was not taxi one at the pier in Venice. As a matter of fact, Princess purser's desk informed us there would not be a free shuttle nor taxis, that if we didn't have a pre-arranged transfer company (they wanted the name) we would have to take the Princess transfer for $24 pp. Ended up we paid for $48 for a 5 minute ride. Then when we received our tickets, the letter stated "Silver 6 luggage tags" but the tags that were attached were actually "Gold". I went to the purser's desk to inquire about the discrepancy and was told "it's a good thing you noticed that, Gold was to send your luggage to the airport" and we were staying 3 days in Venice. We would have had no luggage, no idea where it went and the Grand would already have sailed. I wasn't real impressed with Princess for a number of reasons.

I'm glad it worked out for you and that you had a great trip!

Archived