Viking Yangtze Cruise Info Pls

pdietze

Leaving on November 15th for Viking's 2 week Century Star cruise/land tour. Have gotten luggage down to 35 pounds, but that leaves absolutely no room in 26 inch suitcase for any "goodies" bought in China. Do the intra-China airlines have any limitations on the size of the checked baggage (i.e., if I keep weight approximately the same, can I use a 30 inch suitcase? Also...former Yangtse cruisers: how accessible were places to mail packages back to the States? Thanks for any quick info you can give.:rolleyes:

If you take me along I will let you use one of my bags!

Seriously, we all look forward to an EXTENSIVE report upon your return. It would be helpful if you could inquire about the weather conditions for the trip in September and October as well. Considering this trip for next Fall. Clarence

Thanks for reply, Clarence...will do a follow-up review when we return from China. In all the internet reading I have done, seems October is the best month weather-wise for tourning China. Will check with you later.

I just got my China 2005 brochure, and I think I recall in the fine print section in the back, there is the China intra-air luggage restriction information.

Have a great time! We are booked for June 2005

Judy

P.S.

Please report back to us! There is a dearth of information on these China cruises. I am particularly interested to know if one side of the ship is more scenic than the other.

Did Viking Yangtze in March. Agonized over all the same stuff you are. I think we have 29" suitcases and they were fine. On the way to and from China on United, we each checked a suitcase and a carryon sized suitcase. Once we got to China, since the Chinese airlines don't care if you carry a cement mixer ONTO the plane as long as you don't check it, we switched to checking only the large suitcase and carrying on the carryon. I'm sure within a day each of us exceeded the weight limit with our large pieces due to purchases but I am told the whole group's luggage is weighed together and the total is then deemed over or under weight. The guide carries only a carryon so his allotment gets divided among the passengers. And, I'm quite sure the guide greases the way for his group to exceed the weight limit. It turned out that I fretted a lot over nothing. THIS IS NO GUARANTEE the same is true for every Viking group but I would just advise you to do the best you can and don't be unreasonable about what you bring but don't go insane either. I saw no place to mail or ship stuff home. Have a great time!

I don't think you'll have any problems with your larger suitcase and/or weight on domestic flights in China, however that might not be the case (weightwise) on your Pacific flight. I did the Viking Yangzte river cruise in April of this year.

Your tour guide, who will meet you at your pre-cruise hotel and accompany you throughout the cruise/tour will take care of (literally) everything. He/she will arrange for collection of baggage from your hotel (s), its' boarding on buses, your domestic flight check-ins (including baggage check-in) etc etc etc. Your group's baggage will be "pooled" on domestic flights. There were two ladies in our group that ended up with (would you believe) ten (10) pieces of checked baggage on the final domestic flight.

Hand baggage (weight/size) didn't seem to be any problem, either, on domestic flights. One big difference, however, is that bottles of alcohol (opened or unopened) are not permitted to be carried aboard an aircraft in carry-on baggage. They recommended that they be packed in checked baggage!

As far as mailing purchases back home....major stores will gladly handle that for you, but, naturally smaller shops/stalls will not.

Shmabbies and Gypsy025...can't thank you enough for taking the time to tame my fears!! Was totally nervous about the size allowance(s), but you two have set my mind at ease...now I will relax and get ready to enjoy the trip. Had read your former postings, and hope my trip is as much fun as yours seemed to be. Again, thanks...will write a report on my return.

Pat,

I believe you are leaving within a couple of days and I have a request.

I read somewhere that people had trouble getting their cameras fully charged on board the ship. Could you check into this? Also is there problems in the hotels as well?

I hope you have a wonderful trip and we are anxiously awaiting your return and report on Viking River China.

We are scheduled for May 05.

Enjoy!

the other - Pat

We were on the Viking Star in late August/early September.

There seem to be mail/shipping services in almost every shop we visited.

In the fourth day of our trip, one of our friends bought a carpet. The entire trip was 12-days.

The carpet got to Arizona before she got home!!!

Archived