Turtle or Butterfly Farm, costs????

lcalle

Does anyone know the pricing on this and whether its worth it??

Im trying to set up a plan of what were doing in grand cayman.

wanted to do the waverunner tour to rumpoint but I dont want to go near stingrays and thats part of the tour *shrug*

part of me wanted to hang out at the beach and try some snorkeling (which is said to be near the turtle farm)

figure.. go to 7 mile beach, relax, have lunch, go snorkeling somewhere cheap (if possible) and then go back to the boat at 2ish??

skip the waverunners???

I went to the Turtle Farm as part of an Island Tour years ago (cruise line excursion) so I don't know what the cost was for this alone. My opinion is that this is only worth it if you have kids. It's just a bunch of different size sea turtles in cement tanks, nothing too exciting unless you have never seen one. However, we did get to hold one, that was kinda cool. It's great to know they do the whole rehabilitation thing (returning a certain percentage back to the ocean), but when you discover that the little restaurant on site serves turtle... it just seems a little sad. It's all in regulation, of course... but that might bother children. All that said... my mom is 57, we're going to GC in December and it will be her first time. She wants to see the Turtle Farm.

that boatswain place in the first link is the turtle farm??? that looks like so much fun!!

im having trouble finding the prices on there though :( :(

Yup, Boatswain's Beach is the new home of the Turtle Farm. Click on the link labeled "Packages & Prices" to see the various pricing options. However, if you're there as part of a tour group, they sometimes have cheaper rates negotiated...

For the Butterfly Farm, I'm not sure why they don't have prices on their website, but they list them on the Cayman tourism site: http://www.caymanislands.ky/vacation_planner/eBrochure.aspx?pid=36655

We just returned last Sunday from the Conquest and we did the Island Tour in Grand Cayman. It was $52/pp and we loved the turtle farm. It was the highlight of the tour. We then were taken to a rum cake factory, which wasn't a factory at all but a place that sells rum cakes. It was a small building with about 10 busloads of people crushed inside. We waited outside as it was a madhouse. Then we went to Hell which had some interesting black rocks in the back and a souvenir shop that was again filled with people. You can send a postcard and have it postmarked "Hell". Definitely, the turtle farm was the highlight of the tour. We did make it back in time to do some shopping downtown and catch a tender back to the ship. We passed the butterfly farm on the way back but did not stop.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back off Enchantment of the Seas and were very disappointed with the turtle farm. Those on tours got great service! We went on our own and paid $55 each for use of the whole park. What a joke! The bird aviary only allowed feeding of the birds twice a day. We waited to do this and they dumped a small amount of bird seed in our hand. The lagoons you can swim in have life guards, but they are not watching the lagoons, but hanging out. No one would swim in the lagoons as the water was cold (even in the swimming pool type one) and was not clean. The trails were pathetic as there was nothing to see. Since you can not hold a turtle without a guide present, if you are on your own, you will not get to. The butterfly farm at the turtle beach was maybe a 5ft by 5ft piece of land on the trail with plants to attract butterflies. The Cayman St was nothing. Just a ground shell walkaway with closed house on the side (could not even look in) with a few rocking chairs. The education center had a few stuffed animals, paper to color and some books. At the pier there are tours of hell, turtle farm and the rum factory for $20. With admission only to the turtle farm of $18 per adult, plus taxi or bus, I would do the tour if I ever went again.

Archived