How much cash should we take?

tiggersgrl

Here's what I do: I usually take along a combination of cash and travelers checks. In addition, while on shore I use a credit card whenever possible (certainly for big-ticket items). The amount of cash/travelers checks very much depends on what kind of spender you are. Personally, I think somewhere around $500-700 would suffice with at least half in travelers checks.

Alto it is dangerous to take large amounts of cash, in foreign countries, I would rather not use credit cards. Since you are going to USA, I would just take the same amount of cash that you would normally use at home perday.(Such as for lunch, tips, small purchases etc) There should be ATM machines around if you need them.

We took 1500.00 cash, used the lock box during the cruise, then I won 1000.00 and we used MOST of this cash.

Like Arkansas, we make good use of the safe in the room. I leave my wallet with credit cards, drivers license and extra cash in it when on shore. We generally only carry the amount of cash off the ship that we expect to spend in that port along with a credit card (just in case) and our passports and ship cards.

One credit card, your ship's card and enough cash for that meal or snack, drink, etc and, of course, if you're taking a taxi you'll need the fare and tip. Everywhere we go we seem to be able to use a credit card (Visa). Leave the rest in your room safe. Bon Voyage!! :)

p.s. Take plenty of $1, $5 & $10 bills to have for tipping at airports,hotels, etc. since you usually only get $20's from the ATM's ;)

A credit card (for the known shopping ports), your room key, and enough cash you think will be needed. I know all these were said, BUT, I am giving a suggestion on how to carry it. Most of the cruise ships have these right in their gift shops, but you can also get them in advance at WalMart or Target, etc. They are the screw tight canisters that go around your neck. They have the round ones that hold cash and they have the ones that can hold a pack of smokes (but this size is perfect for credit cards, cash, and your room key/ship card. Just a suggestion. Carrying a wallet around can be a pain, plus when you are near the water it can be a hassle finding a safe place to keep it. The canisters usually seal with an o-ring and are waterproof. Went cave tubing with one and nothing got a drop on it :)

BDD

Archived