New Years Eve Cruises..your Thoughts

LUV THE SEA

I have two college age children and we wanted to take a New Year's Eve vacation and immediately we thought of a cruise...can anyone tell me if you have sailed for New Years...was something special done onboard...is there a cruise line that you loved...whatever info you cann give us would be great...is this a good idea with a 21 & 19 year old...thanks for your help...decisions ...decisons...:) I wish all of my decisions involved cruising!!:)

New Years Eve cruises are special, with lots of planned parties. However, they're MUCH more expensive than at non-holiday times....sometimes twice as much....and book out early. If you're looking for NYE 2008, there will be many sold out ships.

I don't know what the legal drinking age is where you are, but please note: on most ships, you must be 21 to consume alcohol.

(P.S. - did a quick search for 2008. The best price value I found was $650 inside for 5 day on Celebrity Century departing Miami Dec 29.)

We are going on the Serenade of the Seas dec 27 with our 4 daughters

24, 23, 18 and 15 years old. I am sure will have a blast. The are still availability for that cruise and the fare just went lower last week end. There is a direct flight with Air Canada to San Juan.

We have cruised the last two years at New years and are going again this year. Our daughters are 21 & 19. As someone said cruising at that time of the year is very expensive - 2/3 times more than the first week in Jan. But with them in university this is the only time we can go. As you can tell we love it or we wouldn't have booked again right? The ship is a great place to spend the New Year. Best New Years eve parties I have been too. Last year we were on NCL out of NYC. NCL had a college theme get together, as they realize this is usually a tough age group to satisfy. Our girls went a couple of times and had a good time. Plus the Gem has a lounge at night that prohibits anyone under 21 from getting in. However on NCL parents can sign a form that allows anyone 18+ to purchase beer or wine only, if they had this card (which or daughter did) they were allowed into the club.

Still some availability on the cruise last time I checked.

I thought all decisions do involve cruising.

I did the Paradise (Carnival) one NYE out of Miami whens he was there...A BLAST...but true very expensive...I probably wouldn't do it again because I can go on two cruises for that price...but for a chance to say "hey I cruised once for NYE" it was great....plus we only had good weather on the 1st and last days at sea...but that's no one's fault...I would love to do the GEM out of NYC this year but still too much money.....have a blast whatever you decide to do....

I am on the December 27 Sapphire Princess toi the Mexican Riviera this New Years...

If I cruise around this time, I USUALLY go the week AFTER New Years--which typically have the lowest prices of the year...New Years typically has the HIGHEST prices of the year...

To give you an idea as to what you're looking at...We just did a very similar 7 night Mexican Riviera itinerary in March on the RCCL Vision of the Seas and paid $749 per person for a 195 sf balcony cabin...On the Sapphire, we're paying over $1200 per person for an obstructed view window cabin!! If we were only able to go the following week, we could have had this same cabin for less than $600 pp!!...

I check the bookings every day just out of curiosity and as of right now, there are VERY FEW cabins left on this sailing...and they appear and disappear (I assume as some folks reserve, then back out)...Obstructed view windows, as of this morning, with tax, are going for $1825.50 pp and up!!!

But, in general, is it a good time to cruise...and with your kids?

The answer is YES...Of course, any time is a good time to cruise...it is the ideal vacation...And, yes, they do special things for New Years...sure solves the typical "What are we doing for New Years?" dilemma...

And, at 19 and 21 you won't have to worry about your kids being at some teen or college party where kids are drinking and getting into trouble...or worry about them driving home that night...

we booked the MSC Lirica for this coming NYE, it'll be a new line for us and a new time of year for us to cruise. anyway, we got an incredible deal. $799 pp kids sail free for 7 nights. your kids are too old to get that deal though.

We cruised on Serenade of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) last year during New Year's, when our daughters were 16, 16 and 14. It was really lovely. New Year's Eve was the first formal night and boy, did people dress up! My husband wore dark suit & tie, and I wore a short but very dressy cocktail dress. My daughters wore dresses that they had worn for various proms/dances. Many people were in tuxes and gowns but we felt absolutely fine.

One thing that we really enjoyed was that they were taking posed pictures all over the ship, and we "dragged" out kids to each station. It was hard to choose, the pictures were so nice and special to us.

There were all sorts of parties going on all over the ship. My husband and I aren't big partyers but we enjoyed watching all the revelry. My girls went off to the teen lounge and enjoyed themselves. They could also wander the decks where people were congregating and watch the festivities. We were in St. Maarten that day and the ship stayed just outside the maritime border until late because St. Maarten was having fireworks to celebrate. So we could watch those from the deck, which was really cool. Then everyone's attention turned to the centrum (central atrium) for the balloon drop. It was very funny because we were sitting high up, overlooking the centrum so we could see the staff with giant bags of balloons, dumping them over the railings. I'd never been ABOVE a balloon drop before!

All in all, it was a really nice experience. We hadn't done a family cruise before so I can't compare, but it seemed really special to all of us.

Was it more expensive than any other time? You better believe it. But my kids are only off from school when they're off--so if we're traveling with them, then that's when it's going to be. (This year, we're cruising again, but during Christmas week because that's what worked out better for us. Since we don't celebrate Christmas, it's fine.)

If your college aged kids are willing/happy to be with you for vacation, I'd say go for it. I'd think you'd all enjoy it very much.

A family cruise is a wonderful experience any time.

That being said we have done Thanksgiving and Christmas cruises and decided very quick we would not do them again and never a New Years cruise. The reason, just too many people most 3rd and 4th births booked.

That being said however, if the only time I could take grand-kids on a cruise was Christmas, New Years, 4th of July, or May Day would do it in a hart beat.

Have taken granddaughter to Alaska she was just 13. Her aunt and uncle came also, paid their own way. What a wonderful time. Grandson goes next year.

Go for it.

GERTZ

Princess Elite

Next Coral 4/12 FLL to LA

Island 8/17 Back to Alaska 4th time w/grandson:D

We've been on 5 New Year's Eve cruises. Yes the deck party was fun on New Year's Eve but that was the only deck party on each cruise and every ship has a deck party. They pass out free champaign (SP?) that was chilled in the hot tub filled with ice. But, we finally decided why pay so much more just for free champaign(SP?)? You can get that at the art auctions! Deck parties are always fun even without the count down. So, we no longer cruise then. Try right after the holidays. You'll get a much better price then and will still have a ball!

CRUISE LINES

Dolphin

Commodore

Regency

Premier

Cape Canaveral Cruises

Carnival

Royal Caribean

NCL

Celebrity

Princess

Costa

Yes I have and it was not only my most memorable cruise but also the best New Year I've ever spent.

My cruise was a repositioning voyage from genoa in Italy to the Caribbean. We spent Hogmanay in Madeira. The ship anchored out in the harbour so we could get a fantastic view of the Island's firework displays. each parish puts on their own one and tries to out do the other. It lasted just over an hour. we were all up on the pool deck in our evening clothes (warm enough not to need jackets) swigging champagne whilst we watched the display. then the on deck party continued for at least another 4 hours with live music. It was magical.

Archived