Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip

jmezmom

HI,

We did the "Mendehall Glacier Canoe Trip" this year, based on recommendations on these boards, and it was great. We got the closest to the glacier of any of the trips, the guide was great and the scenery also was wonderful. I do not know where the float trip goes, but I had read on these boards that the kayak trip did not go anywhere near the glacier, so just be sure to do your homework. If you are into kayaking and stopping in Ketchikan, I would highly recommend Southeast Seas kayaks. Lots of whales and wildlife!

We also did the Mendenhall Canoe Trip in August 07 and we loved it. The weather was cold and it drizzled rain part of the time but it was still fun. We paddled across the lake, got right next to ice bergs in the lake, and stopped for a break on the beach near the waterfalls. You can walk right up to the falls and you get closer to the glacier than any one else.

The Canoe Trip people provide rain gear and life vests but wear warm clothes. We wore rain coats and pants but put on their rain coat over ours and were very comfortable. The only thing we forgot was gloves. Our hands got cold.

We booked this through the ship and I couldn't find it offered anywhere as an independent tour. It is an 11-man canoe and you have to be able to paddle.

I have heard that the float trip does not go near the glacier and you end up seeing mostly people's backyards along the river. That is why we chose the canoe trip.

Archived