Finding accessible cabins

finn1913

Hi,

I am trying to find a Panama Canal Cruise for 2010, but we need 1 accessible cabin for my parents.

I can't seem to find one available, and I've been in touch with 3 TA's but none seem interested in helping us. (Even though we are not fussed about the date, are flexible with the line and our group may be up to 5 cabins total.)

Does anyone have any tips for how to find available accessible cabins??

Thanks!

Ann

With some cruise lines you can deal directly with them. We always use a TA though, and have had success with the AAA a lot of times. Unfortunately the number of accessible cabins is very limited and it is not unusual for them to book up almost as soon as the cruise schedule is announced. You might want to try to book through a TA who specializes in accessible travel and cruises as they often have blocks of rooms they can book.

Try this site for some links: http://www.makoa.org/travel.htm

Slinters web site info was very informative. I plan on checking out the first class up grade info. I use a power w/c and can't walk at all. I find it a challenge to get an accessible room even when they have up to 32 on some ships. Try wheelchair escapes.com. or go on the SATH website. SATH is the Society for Accessible Travel and Hospitality. It is a non profit organization. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Are you trying to find an accessible room for all 3 of you or a separate room? We just booked on the RCCL Jewel for march 23-09 Panama Canal. We were having a hard time because the balcony rooms would state occupancy for 2 on many of the ships unless you booked a more expensive suite. I just happened to get a special needs person at RCCL who explained that they can put a 3rd person in a 2 occupancy hc room. I booked the room then called them back with the booking # and they added in my son. You have to use a rollaway bed for the 3rd person though. The TA's that I was working with did not know this information. I had almost given up. I just happened on the right person. Good Luck

Archived