All Inclusive Tipping ??

Thank you, Travelcat, once again when we seemed to have it a new low on this thread, you have something positive to say! :)

Thank you, as always, for your kind words and support. It's too bad that we occasionally get people on the board whose only ambition is to cause problems. I've learned that they eventually go away (one way or the other);)

Thank you, as always, for your kind words and support. It's too bad that we occasionally get people on the board whose only ambition is to cause problems. I've learned that they eventually go away (one way or the other);)

Oh if we were only given a "mute" button :rolleyes:

In attempt to answer the original question,I just did a bit of research on cruise ship jobs.

Although I did not find specifics on Regent, there are several job placement companies that list openings. At www.cruiseshipjob.com I found some openings in the housekeeping area. This salary range is dependent upon the amount of tips the employee receives per month (in U.S. dollars).

Chief Housekeeper $3,000-3800/month

Assistant Chief Housekeeper $2,500-3,400

Floor Supervisor $2,400-3,200

Head Room Steward/Stewardess $2,200-2,800

Cabin Steward/Stewardess $1,800-2,200

Asst. Cabin Steward/Stewardess $1,200-1,500

Based on claims that Regent has made in the past, their housekeeping employees should receive the maximum in the range (or close to it). Note: salaries include health insurance, room and board.

Side note. . . . although only a small percentage of Regent passsengers read CC, it does not change the policy. When people come on CC to ask a question about tipping, it behooves us to explain the policy as it is set forth by Regent. Do some people go against it? Of course. Does this make it the right thing to do? Don't think so.

P.S. If you think this is a negative reaction. . . try asking about children on board or smoking;)

Travel Cat,

Please don't misunderstand my statements. I like the Regent policies. Especially the smoking, children issues and the fact I don't have to sign a charge ticket every time we want a coke or glass of wine.

I was only stating that I suspect far more people tip their room stewards a little bit at the end of cruises than the policy dictates. That is the experience we just had on the Mariner when we specifically asked several random couples what their intentions were and all three couples told us they planned to leave a small tip for their steward. I am not advocating for this trend (or to make this a policy change), but merely stating it appears to me that quite a few passengers do leave something for their Steward. And furthermore, that a very small percentage of Regent customers go onto this web site and read these discussions to have a sense of why people like yourself encourage people to not leave any tip for their Stewards. People know the Regent policy is "no tipping" but regardless, many feel kindness or generosity and they still give a token of their appreciation to the Stewards. Again, I am not advocating for this, but merely stating this occurs by a great number of passengers on the cruises.

At the end of the day there are very kind and generous people who leave no tips and their are others who do leave a little money fpr the Steward. I suspect that during the course of each steward's contract that it all balances out pretty well. They tend to treat the passengers well and this is all a positive tribute to Regent.

Thanks for the explanation about the compensation for Regent staff. That is very interesting info.

Enjoy life!

Steve

Click on the name of the user you wish to ignore. Select "Public Profile". In the upper portion of the profile click on User Lists then click on "Add to Ignore"

The persons posts will no longer appear to you.

Thank you. Even at my advanced age, I learn something new every day! But I shall not use it. All views, even ones I disagree with, are of interest. (perhaps especially those I disagree with !!)

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished our first RSSC cruise - Voyager Athens - Monte Carlo, disembarking Nov 5.

Being Australian, we are not used to the tipping culture of, for eg, America, where you are expected to tip everybody all the time.

So we were also questioning whether or not we should tip our butler and the wonderful woman who cleaned our rooms.

In the end, we decided to adhere to RSSC policy. Our butler was marvellous, tis true, but he was a man doing his job well. I did mention both him and her in the comment cards. If I had known about the crew fund I would have donated. Ah, always next time.

Very glad to see this discussion tho as those pangs of guilt about not tipping him have faded. Thanks!

Happy sailing

progress.gif

Archived