Zijuantinejo/Ixtapa Isla Ixtapa from cruise ship

cruises4us

We took the ship's excursion to Ixtapa Island. I believe the excursion was called "Island Getaway." We went by bus, drove from the pier through the resort area of Ixtapa to a small pier where we boarded panga boats for the 5-minute ride to the island. We stayed there about three hours and then back by panga and bus to the pier in Z. Bus part of the trip was about 30-40 minutes each way.

This is a very doable excursion on your own, and it will be a lot quicker than taking the bus. When you tender in Zihua get walk down the pier to the street. There will be a circle full of taxis. Ask the driver to take you to the panga launch for Isla Ixtapa. The cab ride should take about 15 minutes, and shouldn't cost that much. The driver will drop you off at the pier,and you can take a 5 minute panga ride to Isla Ixtapa. You also have the option of going to Playa las Gatas. Right when you get off the tender in Zihua you will be at the pier where the pangas launch to go over to Playa las Gatas. The water is very clear there and the beach is a lot longer than on Isla Ixtapa. Plus a lot of tours go to Isla Ixtapa so it tends to be more crowded. Isla Ixtapa is still beautiful though and worth the trip. Either way I'm sure you will have a great time. This is my favorite port on the Mexican Riviera :D We love Zihua so much that we go there often on week long trips!

We loved Ixtapa Island and wished we could have stayed longer. Now we are trying to decide whether to go there again on our Christmas cruise with the family or go to Las Gatas beach where we have not been before! We're thinking Las Gatas as it is closer to the pier and will probably be less expensive - there will be 9 of us. This will be Christmas week, however, so we're thinking everywhere will be very crowded.

Ixtapa Island or Las Gatas Beach?

Which is best for snorkeling?

And, good food, and drinks? Less crowded?

Shade?

Someone please help me decide.

This is for our Feb. 09 cruise.

Thank you.

Isla Ixtapa is better for Snorkeling. There is more marine life in the coral on the far side of the island. There are two different swimming beaches on the island, but they are just a short walk from each other. You just follow a path through some trees to the other side. The best snorkeling side is the one without the boat dock.

Both beaches are good for food and drinks, but Playa las Gatas is a larger beach so there are far more options.

Playa las Gatas tends to be less densely populated as well, b/c it is larger than Isla Ixtapa.

There is ample shade on both beaches. You can just plop down at any one of the Palapa restaurants and make use of their Palapas or umbrellas by purchasing drinks or food.

Both Playa las Gatas and Isla Ixtapa are equally fantastic. Playa las Gatas is closer to where the ship docks though, and there aren't really any cruise ship tours that run to this beach...it's more of a locals spot. Conversely, Isla Ixtapa hosts many excursions from the ships and from tours bought at the hotels, so it tends to be more crowded with tourists. So it really depends on what you are looking for. There are water sports offered at both beaches too.

Whichever you decide, don't forget some type of water shoes. There are rocks and coral in both places:o

Do both beaches rent snorkeling equipment?

If so, do you know the cost?

Thanks again.

Yep...both beaches rent snorkeling equip. You can rent from many of the palapa restaurants there. If the restaurant you are stationed at does. We usually pay about $15/day to rent the equipment.

• 9 months later...
This is a very doable excursion on your own, and it will be a lot quicker than taking the bus. When you tender in Zihua get walk down the pier to the street. There will be a circle full of taxis. Ask the driver to take you to the panga launch for Isla Ixtapa. The cab ride should take about 15 minutes, and shouldn't cost that much.

We are going to do this on our cruise after Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know what the current going rate is for a taxi from the cruise tender point to the pier for the water taxis to Isla Ixtapa?

And are there taxis waiting at the water taxi pier when you come back from the Island?

We are going to do this on our cruise after Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know what the current going rate is for a taxi from the cruise tender point to the pier for the water taxis to Isla Ixtapa?

And are there taxis waiting at the water taxi pier when you come back from the Island?

A taxi should cost 100 pesos (10 bucks) to Playa Linda where you catch the water taxi to the island. Yes, there will be taxis to take you back to the dock. I had heard that transportation costs have recently gone up, I'm checking now and if they have, I will let you know...Many times the taxis at the end of the dock will charge more because cruisers don't know the going rate. Walk a few short blocks to the basketball court to get "the correct price"...

A taxi should cost 100 pesos (10 bucks) to Playa Linda where you catch the water taxi to the island. Yes, there will be taxis to take you back to the dock. I had heard that transportation costs have recently gone up, I'm checking now and if they have, I will let you know...Many times the taxis at the end of the dock will charge more because cruisers don't know the going rate. Walk a few short blocks to the basketball court to get "the correct price"...

Please post if you find any updated information. I'm one of those tourists that wouldn't have a clue! Good thing there is CC! :)

Please post if you find any updated information. I'm one of those tourists that wouldn't have a clue! Good thing there is CC! :)

I heard that they have gone up but have not been officially "printed" yet.

When they do, I'll let this thread know....

I would really appreciate that!

Another question. Is there any problem to pay in Pesos or do they really prefer USD? Exchange rate is favorable to us right now and was I thinking about using Pesos on this cruise so just wondering.

I would really appreciate that!

Another question. Is there any problem to pay in Pesos or do they really prefer USD? Exchange rate is favorable to us right now and was I thinking about using Pesos on this cruise so just wondering.

They always prefer pesos but, with the exchange today at 12 to 1, they make more money when a charge is 100 pesos and you give them a 10 dollar bill. Someday, if the exchange rate goes back closer to 10 to 1, then they have the extra hassle of exchanging our US dollars back to pesos at the bank or a cambio...IMO, I think it's always the proper thing to do, use the money of the county that you are in...

I appreciate you checking on the taxi rates. I have no idea where the basketball court is. Is it on the main drag? Can't miss it?:confused:

I appreciate you checking on the taxi rates. I have no idea where the basketball court is. Is it on the main drag? Can't miss it?:confused:

As you leave the pier, there is a small parking lot in front of you where taxis wait. before you get to the parking lot you will notice a sidewalk on the right with shops on your left side as you walk on it.... Just walk down this sidewalk for a few, what would be short blocks, and you will come to the basketball court. You can't miss it, I promise....

As you leave the pier, there is a small parking lot in front of you where taxis wait. before you get to the parking lot you will notice a sidewalk on the right with shops on your left side as you walk on it.... Just walk down this sidewalk for a few, what would be short blocks, and you will come to the basketball court. You can't miss it, I promise....

Thanks!:D

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the current taxi rate going to Playa Linda? It was posted a couple months ago it might be going up. Just over a month to go before our cruise! :)

Does anyone know if the current taxi rate going to Playa Linda? It was posted a couple months ago it might be going up. Just over a month to go before our cruise! :)

The new fares are now posted, to Playa Linda it is 115 pesos, up from 100.....

Where are the water taxis? Please give direction from the Ship.

Is there a favorite place at Las Gatos?

There is a little "hut" at the end of the pier where you buy your tickets, you'll see the sign. A lot of regulars go to OTTILOS to eat and spend the day...

There is a little "hut" at the end of the pier where you buy your tickets, you'll see the sign. A lot of regulars go to OTTILIE'S to eat and spend the day...

Thanks for the directions. We will check out OTTILOS at Las Gatos. Do you like Las Gatos or La Ropa better?

Thanks for the directions. We will check out OTTILOS at Las Gatos. Do you like Las Gatos or La Ropa better?

La Ropa is almost a mile long, great for beach walking, all sand, lots of choices of where to plop yourself down...I think the only reason to go to Las Gotas is for snorkeling and the snorkeling is not very good especially if you are use to doing it in the Caribbean.....

Archived