Anyone Suffer From IBS?

MsMinx

Hi Everyone!

Well it turns out that the reason behind a lot of my bloating and other varying stomach related issues is that I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

It explains A LOT for me and the problems that i've suffered for years!

Just wondering does anyone else here have IBS, and if so how do you cope with it?

More importantly, what types of foods do you avoid? I'm still learning, but have found out the hard way several times, that dairy foods and deep fried foods cause me a lot of problems :(

I'd be really keen to find out how other people with this problem deal with it.

I have it also. It is NOT fun! I'm on a lot of medication for it because mine makes my stomach and esophagus spasm. I avoid alcohol, fried foods, salad (oh, how I miss it!) and raw veggies. I just ate a Granny Smith apple and now my tummy is hurting so bad. What's really crazy is that the good foods always hurt my tummy, but the bad stuff (white bread, etc.) are OK. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys! I also find that fried food and dairy give me a lot of trouble. I can't say that i've noticed salad causes it, but come to think of it I had a really BIG salad sandwich on Tuesday this week and all afternoon and most of Wednesday I had a terrible stomach ache. I think what i'm going to do is start a food diary and write down everything I eat and how it affects me. Might also look for IBS support medication. It may come in handy on my next cruise given the amount of rich food i'm likely to be served!

Jo, have you seen a gastro doc? Mine has been a HUGE help to me in figuring out how to treat me. My family physician was at a loss because we tried everything he could think of. A good gastro doc will listen and figure out what's best for you. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter suffers from this---she's got some kind of medication to take prior to meals that really helps. But, what works the best is a very low-fat diet. Greasy stuff just kills her!

It can be controlled--it really can't be cured. Experiement with the foods that work best (and worse!) for you!

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

I have Crohn's disease! (IBD - a more serious version of IBS, but seems to be pretty similar). Luckily I have a pretty mild case (my most common symptoms are BIG bloating, having to go to the bathroom a lot, or stomach pain but most of the time I feel pretty normal). I was diagnosed in 2003 when it made my appendix rupture. :eek:

I take 9 pills/day for it but haven't had a serious flare in 6 years :D

I used to eat more conservatively (no salads, no raw veggies, no nuts, no carbonated drinks, nothing too spicy or greasy, no corn/popcorn, etc) but I've been branching out more lately, and seeing what bothers me.

For me, there are 2 categories of "bad foods" - 1) the stuff that might irritate my system and give me bloating or pain, but which will pass on its own without serious harm (ex: alcohol, spicy food, greasy food, carbonated drinks, etc), and 2) the stuff my body wont digest, that can get stuck and cause a blockage or partial blockage and can send me to the hospital.

i'm more willing to experiment with category #1. however, i've started eating small amounts of certain raw veggies (spinach, tomatoes, strawberries, etc) and I've been OK. I'll occasionally have a beer or 2, but it makes me bloated like you wouldn't believe. I look like I'm in my third trimester! I do not drink soda at all. Of everything I can't have, I miss popcorn the most :(

Edited by summer08bride

Ugh, poor you. I have Ulcerative Colitis, a close relation of Crohn's and a bit nastier than IBS.

Like others, I avoid processed, fatty and fried foods. Flour doesn't do me any good either (wind and bloating) so I stay away from most bread and bread products. Citrus fruit makes me feel ill as well. I don't ever drink soda or beer, but champagne seems to be okay :D

By watching what I eat, avoiding too much stress and importantly, excercising regularly and getting enough sleep, I've managed to avoid a serious flare for two years now.

You'll find what works for you. Good luck.

Ugh, poor you. I have Ulcerative Colitis, a close relation of Crohn's and a bit nastier than IBS.

Like others, I avoid processed, fatty and fried foods. Flour doesn't do me any good either (wind and bloating) so I stay away from most bread and bread products. Citrus fruit makes me feel ill as well. I don't ever drink soda or beer, but champagne seems to be okay :D

By watching what I eat, avoiding too much stress and importantly, excercising regularly and getting enough sleep, I've managed to avoid a serious flare for two years now.

You'll find what works for you. Good luck.

Wow, I'm surprised you can drink champagne! I find I can drink beer (I'll get really bloated but no pain or other side effects) but no soda or champagne - they are too carbonated for me. I'm not really the best at getting enough sleep or exercise (I'm trying, but it's not easy for a law student) but I'm happy to hear you've been flare free!

• 6 years later...

I've was diagnosed with IBS in 2013 and I'm 62 years old. I went on a cruise in Jan2013 and had no trouble. Since then my IBS has acted up on a regular basis. I also have constipation problems. My IBS triggers are onions, spicy foods, fresh garlic, tomatoes sauce. I'm able to tolerate red/white wine 2-3x week.

On my August 2015 cruise I had terrible problems. My indulgence, overeating & drinking more than usual and my eating of something garlicky made me sick on day 3 of my 7-day trip. I had terrible bloating, flatulence, my colon was spasming out. Because I take pysillium in water daily to stop constipation, this was helpful. I found myself running to bathroom when I ate something so I had to stay close to the ship or not eat anything but sip on water if I chose to leave the ship. In the end "Align" the probiotic helped also.

My recommendation is to know your triggers, ask the ingredients of your meals. Avoid triggers and eat moderately. This is my 6th cruise and it's disappointing to know that you can't eat the way you are used to. Part of the enjoyment of cruising is sampling the different meals/alcoholic drinks. Not for IBS SUFFERERS!!!