Umm - What does Duty Free mean?

twinsmom21

I've seen the term Duty Free used on the boards, but I don't know what it means. It sounds like you can buy things in ports without paying taxes? Can you buy things cheaper in ports than you can in the states?

I'm going to Cozumel and Progresso in a few weeks. Are there certain items sold in these ports that I should look for?

Thanks everyone...love these boards!

It means you can purchase without paying taxes and duty... you may want to visit the port of call forums for your ports, there will be info on things you can buy there... also, there are duty free shops on the ship as well...

Keep in mind that there is no relationship between the words duty free and the price you pay. We find that most duty free store prices are not that great. I think retailers throw that word duty free around just like some use the words going out of business.

And depending on what you want to buy, it's a pain to get it home.

The duty free deals aren't really deals depending on where you buy the stuff. I bought some perfume in Grand Cayman and it was cheaper at home on sale at Perfumania. Argh.

However, I have gotten flavored rums at ridiculously low prices and am making a list to buy more soon.

Of course, sometimes the duty free is good to buy the stuff you can't get at home, like rum cakes or Sheridan's coffee liqueur. Yum! :D

Basically what Duty Free means is that you can bring certain amounts of "stuff" back into the United States without paying taxes/duty on it. Check with the U.S. Customs web site for the allowances..

Items that fall into this category are tobacco and booze.. (That is what most folks bring back anyway) Also at the customs site you can find the banned items that you can't bring back at all.. Cuban Cigars for one..

Progreso is the pirated DVD capital of Latin America.;)

I believe it started as a convenience to crew members who have no access to movies and then expanded to tourists.

I have several reviews of Progreso in my blog if your interested.

There are three different issues here.

1. Duty Free as posted by the ship or shops in port means that the vendor did not have to pay duty on it so are trying to convince you it will be cheaper than if you buy it at home.

2. Your 'duty free allowance' for bringing stuff back into the US has no relation to the Duty Free goods you purchase. If you are over your quantity allowance for liquor and cigarettes, you will still have to pay duty, or if you are over your total dollar allowance, you pay duty.

3. There is a third type of duty free that many people are not aware of. It is called the Generalized System of Preferences, and involves items of native manufacture from native materials in developing countries. Theseitems are totally duty free and not included in your duty free allowance. Information on this can be found at http://www,ustr.gov and click on Trade and Development.

EM

Keep in mind that there is no relationship between the words duty free and the price you pay. We find that most duty free store prices are not that great. I think retailers throw that word duty free around just like some use the words going out of business.

Duty free = extra profit

Archived