stupid, paranoid dive knife question

redlef

I'm taking independent dive trips on my upcoming cruise. That means I get off the boat, get in a cab all alone with a complete stranger and trust him to drive me to wherever I think the dive shop might be (the dive bus in curaco).

I'm thinking, maybe having my big, rusty, nasty looking thigh mounted dive knife with me might not be a bad idea. Even if the dive operators don't want me taking it in the water, just so the taxi drivers see it.

Is that a stupid idea? Am I a hopeless paranoid?

If I do bring it, what's the cruise ship procedure -give it to security at check in and schedule a pick up for when we get to the port, or do I end up going to the ship's exit, ask for it then, and wait half an hour for someone to get it for me. NCL Jewel is the ship.

I'm taking independent dive trips on my upcoming cruise. That means I get off the boat, get in a cab all alone with a complete stranger and trust him to drive me to wherever I think the dive shop might be (the dive bus in Curacao).
I don't think you have anything to worry about with the taxi driver. If anything, he'd probably more afraid of being robbed by someone who has a "big, rusty, nasty looking thigh mounted dive knife".

The other problem with having a dive knife is that the ship's security will take it away from you when you reboard the ship. Sure, they'll keep it for you until the next time you want to take it off the ship, but IMO it really isn't worth the hassle. You do NOT need a knife to dive in the Caribbean in any case. If you are concerned with entanglement issues, then shears are a much better choice.

Leave the dive knife at home.

I'm taking independent dive trips on my upcoming cruise. That means I get off the boat, get in a cab all alone with a complete stranger and trust him to drive me to wherever I think the dive shop might be (the dive bus in curaco).

I'm thinking, maybe having my big, rusty, nasty looking thigh mounted dive knife with me might not be a bad idea. Even if the dive operators don't want me taking it in the water, just so the taxi drivers see it.

Is that a stupid idea? Am I a hopeless paranoid?

If you treat me like I'm going to rob you, do you expect me to be nice to you? You might find they drive you to The Dive Bus but then you cannot get a lift back to the ship because no one wants to pick up the guy with the big, rusty, nasty looking knife.

Treat the locals with respect and they'll treat you with respect. Leave the knife at home.

If I do bring it, what's the cruise ship procedure -give it to security at check in and schedule a pick up for when we get to the port, or do I end up going to the ship's exit, ask for it then, and wait half an hour for someone to get it for me. NCL Jewel is the ship.

Yet another reason to leave the knife at home. On my cruise last year one of the guys had a dive knife. At every port he had to surrender the knife to ship security. When he left the ship for a dive excursion, he had to get someone from security to get the knife. They usually stored the knife near the gangplank but some days we got off at the other end of the ship. So he was often left waiting while security went to get his knife. He found it to be a real bother.

If you treat me like I'm going to rob you, do you expect me to be nice to you?

. . . . When he left the ship for a dive excursion, he had to get someone from security to get the knife. They usually stored the knife near the gangplank but some days we got off at the other end of the ship. So he was often left waiting while security went to get his knife. He found it to be a real bother.

I wasn't planning on wearing the knife in the cab and pulling it on the driver and saying "take me to the dive bus." :eek: I meant to have it in case he drove me to a dark alley and some of his friends tried to beat & rob the ugly American. However, your points are all well taken and I'll leave it at home.

I suppose you would also leave your speargun and RPG Launcher at home?

However, your points are all well taken and I'll leave it at home.

Good decision..... there's no reason why you'd need a dive knife in the Caribbean anyway...... and they're banned in a lot of places.

Happy diving!!!

You can always hire a body guard or an off duty ship security person. DOn't be rediculous! I did bring my dive knife along on a post 9/11 cruise and not only was I marked as a high risk pax, my luggage was almost left on port when they x rayed it, it was put on the side upon departure and I always had to call for it upon departure from /or gave it to them upon return to the ship, etc. You can look at an old post of mine if you want greater details.

Archived