Fitness Centres onboard

gymbum202

In two weeks my family and I will be going on a cruise in the 7 day western mediterranean cruise on the Norwegian Gem. I was just wondering, what are the age limits, if there are any, onboard for the Fitness Centre use? Also what kind of machinery do they have in the fitness centre? i.e like ellipticals, etc. Thanks

In two weeks my family and I will be going on a cruise in the 7 day western mediterranean cruise on the Norwegian Gem. I was just wondering, what are the age limits, if there are any, onboard for the Fitness Centre use? Also what kind of machinery do they have in the fitness centre? i.e like ellipticals, etc. Thanks

When we were on the Jewel in the Med, the age was 16 for the health center. They stopped my son, who was 14 at the time. I told them he worked out at a gym at home and was almost 16, but they wouldn't budge. I believe they were Cybex brand exercise machines, but between hotels and cruise ships I've seen quite a few fitness centers and I may be misaken.

They had every machine I've ever seen in a gym and then some. You know, chest press, leg extension, abdominal, rowing, etc... They also had treadmills, stationary bikes and free weights.

Hi Gymbum202!

Come on over the the Roll Call site, click on NCL Gem and look for our cruise on November 9th. We have a Meet and Greet scheduled for Monday, November 10th at 11 AM in Magenta Restaurant. If you do not have all of your excursions planned you can talk with some of our group too.

Thanks a bunch! Do they always stop people or can you just go in with a parent? Do they swipe your card for the fitness centre and only to workout?

Don't know about the first part, but in the "mechanical" area of the fitness center (treadmills, elliptical, free weights), it's free, so no need to swipe the card.

The big room has classes in it that are sometimes not free (like a spin class), so they would swipe the card for those.

thank you but do you know is if they enforce the age limit rule? What is the age limit? because on my first cruise there was no age limit for somethings but not others! Please reply!

The gyms are open 24 hrs a day. Sometimes there is an gym instructor around and sometimes not. I you went to the gym at an "off" hour I doubt they will be checking ID's.

BTW..We found always taking the steps instead of the lift really keeps the pounds off.

Thanks so if i go later during the day or really early they will not enforce the age limit? also how big is the track? is the age limit 16?

The track is outdoors, it is a rubberized paint on the deck. Geeze, I've been on a few cruise ships and they're all starting to look alike. It's probably ten times around for a mile. There's no age restriction there. There will be walkers as well as runners.

The age minimum in the gym is 16. Yes, they enforce the restrictions. They have to because their liability insurance is based on very specific things, including the age minimum the cruise line chose.

Considering how many times you've asked about the age restriction and whether it's enforced, can we assume that you intend to try to use the gym regardless of the rules? I guess that's up to you, but the rules are in place for a reason.

The outdoor track is for everyone all the time. No problem there.

beachchick

I can't comment on the Gem, but we returned from the Norwegian Jade this month and there was a sign on the desk just as you enter the gym saying that 13-16 year olds were permitted so long as accompanied by a parent. My teenage daughters were with me and we had no problem.:)

When I used the gym on the Gem, there wasn't ever a staff member present.

As a side note, it's a really nice facility, though can be very busy on the sea day. I would have started going to the gym earlier in the cruise if I'd known about the chilled wet washcloths they have available! :D

The track is outdoors, it is a rubberized paint on the deck. Geeze, I've been on a few cruise ships and they're all starting to look alike. It's probably ten times around for a mile. There's no age restriction there. There will be walkers as well as runners.

The Gem has two tracks; one is walking/jogging and the other is intended for jogging only.

:confused: Hi all,

Have never used or been in the fitness area on board before, but thought I'd like to use a few machines since it's a longer cruise & would like to burn off the extra desserts. Is there an "extra cost" to use the machines or just if you want to participate in a "class"???

:confused: Hi all,

Have never used or been in the fitness area on board before, but thought I'd like to use a few machines since it's a longer cruise & would like to burn off the extra desserts. Is there an "extra cost" to use the machines or just if you want to participate in a "class"???

There is no charge for the machines and weights, just a charge for the classes.

• 2 weeks later...
There is no charge for the machines and weights, just a charge for the classes.

I'm going to be on the Gem's Transatlantic cruise beginning in a week. When i workout at my home gym (if you can call it a workout), I spend time on the ellipticals, and then go into the steam room. Can I assume from this that the machinery is free, but the steam room might cost? If so, anyone know how much?

--Michael

I'm going to be on the Gem's Transatlantic cruise beginning in a week. When i workout at my home gym (if you can call it a workout), I spend time on the ellipticals, and then go into the steam room. Can I assume from this that the machinery is free, but the steam room might cost? If so, anyone know how much?

--Michael

There a small sauna/steam room off of the free weight exercise area of the gym (part of the Men's Room) on the Norwegian Gem that is free. This is aside from the area fancier that has a fee. Sorry I don't remember more about it, as I was just there to use the restroom. BTW, the gym facilities on the Gem are some of the best at sea.

Archived