Norwegian Dream 10/19-10/26

irishj&m

We were on the Dream from Oct.5-12 and had a wonderful time. We ate at Le Bistro twice. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

I totally agree with you. We were on the week before and had a great cruise. The staff was fantastic. The entertainment was great. Loved Good Vibrations (Beach Boys Tribute Band), and the food was really good. We dined in the Four Seasons mostly every night, but we did experience the food in the Sports Bar and Pizzeria. Again, everything was fine. The only thing I didn't care for was the barbecue selections on deck. That's just me though. I really could not think of anything about the entire week to complain about. The slots were paying off too. I won three times $265, $389, and $250. I also won $132 at bingo. Definitely a good week for me. I do feel bad for those of you who had to endure that trip last week though.

I am really sorry for your bad experience. I have experienced sickness onboard cruiseships before and each time it was norovirus which sometimes can be confused with food poisoning. The CDC disagrees with your diagnosis.

Had dinner at Le Bistro on Sunday night and within 2 hours was deathly ill, have enough medical knowledge to know that I had food poisoning.

With your medical knowledge you surely must be aware that the incubation period for almost all common forms of bacterial food poisoning is 24-48 hours. Chances are, you were infected by what ever you ate on Saturday, Or, you had the a norovirus. Regardless, LeBistro was not the probable cause.

Hi Dream Cruisers,

We were at Black Falcon admiring the Dream yesterday and there were passengers onboard, but today there is no mention on the website where the ship has gone. Any ideas???? We are sailing to the Bahamas in March on the GEM and to Bermuda next Sept. on the Spirit. We have sailed the Spirit before and are thrilled it is coming to Boston. Don't give up on the Boston/Bermuda run the Spirit outshines the old Magesty....

Ann

I am really sorry for your bad experience. I have experienced sickness onboard cruiseships before and each time it was norovirus which sometimes can be confused with food poisoning. The CDC disagrees with your diagnosis.

With your medical knowledge you surely must be aware that the incubation period for almost all common forms of bacterial food poisoning is 24-48 hours. Chances are, you were infected by what ever you ate on Saturday, Or, you had the a norovirus. Regardless, LeBistro was not the probable cause.

Actually, there is a greater variation in incubation times than that. For instance, Staphylococcus aureas is listed as:

"Symptoms appear rapidly, usually one to six hours after the contaminated food is eaten. The acute symptoms of vomiting and severe abdominal cramps without fever usually last only three to six hours and rarely more than 24 hours. Most people recover without medical assistance. Deaths are rare."

Whereas Campylobacter jejuni has symptoms that begin in 2 to 5 days after exposure. The S. aureas bacteria are ubiquitous, but the infection is usually self-limiting and patients usually recover before they could see a physician. The Norovirus infection incubation time is in the range of 24 to 48 hours, and the symptoms last for 24 to 60 hours.

Actually, you are mistaken. Most common "food poisonings" (STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS, SALMONELLA, CLOSTRIDIUM BOTULINUM, CLOSTRIDIUM PERFRINGENS) can have an onset in less than 8 hours and up to 72 hours(*). One in particular (and a common one at that) STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS, can have an onset within one hour of contact.

While I tend to agree that what the OP had was not a food poisoning obtained on the ship, it is not because of the time factor. I would think more than just one or two people would be affected . . . . . .. . . . . but then, anything is possible. (i.e., he/she may well have obtained "food poisoning from "Le Bistro".)

(*) Source: http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/foodsafety/poisoning.shtml

huh? I don't know that mother nature had much to do with this or did I say that somewhere????

Nita

No you misunderstood me, people on this cruise are complaining about the cruiseline, ship, etc.....but the weather is what really got these people pissed and that has nothing to do with the ship

I was on the Dream when the stabilizers were on the fritz and we ran into 35 foot waves. I have video of cruisers weaving their way toward dinner as waves roll up and past the windows on the same deck as the main dining room. It was crazy! We felt like we were riding a roller coaster. You could feel the shipping vibrating as it went down one wave and then the bow lifting and rising as we climbed to the top of the next wave.

It was fun to experience...once!

No you misunderstood me, people on this cruise are complaining about the cruiseline, ship, etc.....but the weather is what really got these people pissed and that has nothing to do with the ship

I sorta thought that might be what you were getting at, but wasn't sure. Yes, to start with bad weather can start the cruise off on a bad note. We have only had one cruise that was really a disappointment and yes, weather added to our problems.: first we had lousy table mates the first night, then we got to port 1, we were able to get off the ship but it was rainy and yucky: then port 2, we couldn't get to because of weather, but by now, at least we had better table mates. We had an inside cabin for our first and last time, maybe had it been a different ship...This was less than 120 sq ft. Add to that some very unpleasant passengers who griped constantly. We found ourselves blaming the ship for everything. I will add, this didn't keep us from cruising that particular line again, but it did leave a bad taste in our mouths.

Nita

I am responding to several comments and I do appreciate them. Had dinner at Le Bistro on Sunday night and within 2 hours was deathly ill, have enough medical knowledge to know that I had food poisoning. It didn't last very long but I was miserable and then the ship rocked and rolled all night. During the long night, we had loud smashing noises and when I opened my eyes could see light - and we didn't have the lights on. It turns out that one of the wall panels came loose and was smashing back and forth wildly and we could see into the next cabin. The hole was top to bottom and was 2-3 feet wide. It finally jammed mostly closed but there was part of the panel all over the floor. When I called down for help, the person asked me if it was a vertical or horizontal panel, this after I said it was a wall panel. I know they had bigger problems to fix but was most unsettling. People in the next cabin (one a first time cruiser) had life jackets at the foot of their beds. They finally came in the early afternoon and repaired it (put shims under one part of the panel to hold it in place).

Regarding the coffee, our waiter disappeared and while leaving the restaurant I told the maitre'd and he asked what table it was and promptly went to look for the waiter. We had only one meal that was hot, the rest cold to lukewarm. We have cruised many times and know this is not the norm.

The people in the next cabin tried to have their room moved but were talked out of it. We decided to hang in as we really didn't want to have to repack and then unpack again, too tired after all this.

I will say Bermuda was beautiful, we went to the street fair and had a great time and enjoyed the beaches, ferry/bus service, etc. What's not to like about Bermuda.

I felt very sorry for some of the elderly and disabled on the ship. When the elevators shut down, they were really stuck in their cabins. We saw many injuries and saw an ambulance as we docked and also another ambulance during our stay.

Would we cruise on NCL again? At this point, I doubt it but maybe "tincture of time" will change my mind. This is just our evaluation of the trip.

I am sure you must have some medical background to make a statement like you did, but we have, doctors and nurses in our family. I did speak with one this afternoon who said food poisining takes a min of 8 hours to cause any discomfort, sometimes as long as 24 hours. Could you have eaten something earlier that day that made you sick?

I am responding to several comments and I do appreciate them. Had dinner at Le Bistro on Sunday night and within 2 hours was deathly ill, have enough medical knowledge to know that I had food poisoning. It didn't last very long but I was miserable and then the ship rocked and rolled all night. During the long night, we had loud smashing noises and when I opened my eyes could see light - and we didn't have the lights on. It turns out that one of the wall panels came loose and was smashing back and forth wildly and we could see into the next cabin. The hole was top to bottom and was 2-3 feet wide. It finally jammed mostly closed but there was part of the panel all over the floor. When I called down for help, the person asked me if it was a vertical or horizontal panel, this after I said it was a wall panel. I know they had bigger problems to fix but was most unsettling. People in the next cabin (one a first time cruiser) had life jackets at the foot of their beds. They finally came in the early afternoon and repaired it (put shims under one part of the panel to hold it in place).

Regarding the coffee, our waiter disappeared and while leaving the restaurant I told the maitre'd and he asked what table it was and promptly went to look for the waiter. We had only one meal that was hot, the rest cold to lukewarm. We have cruised many times and know this is not the norm.

The people in the next cabin tried to have their room moved but were talked out of it. We decided to hang in as we really didn't want to have to repack and then unpack again, too tired after all this.

I will say Bermuda was beautiful, we went to the street fair and had a great time and enjoyed the beaches, ferry/bus service, etc. What's not to like about Bermuda.

I felt very sorry for some of the elderly and disabled on the ship. When the elevators shut down, they were really stuck in their cabins. We saw many injuries and saw an ambulance as we docked and also another ambulance during our stay.

Would we cruise on NCL again? At this point, I doubt it but maybe "tincture of time" will change my mind. This is just our evaluation of the trip.

I dont mind if you dont cruise NCL again but please dont disrespect the

food industry......I am a chef in the restaurant business and "you dont get food poison in the first 24 hours" much less the first 2 hours.....It takes time for the food to try to digest before it relizes its bad food....so take

that comment away and nice try:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

I am sure you must have some medical background to make a statement like you did, but we have, doctors and nurses in our family. I did speak with one this afternoon who said food poisining takes a min of 8 hours to cause any discomfort, sometimes as long as 24 hours. Could you have eaten something earlier that day that made you sick?

Nita,

Read my above . . . . . it DOES NOT take a minimum of 8 hours. Some forms can and do take as little as 1 hour . . . . . not often, but it does happen. I saw it happen 'en masse' within 2 hours while in the Navy. Not a pretty thing . . it was a salmonella outbreak. I will repeat, this is not the norm, but IT DOES happen.

prg2101 no need for the OP to take away the comment, because it is correct. While not a doctor, I worked in Navy medicine for 28 years as a medic, including Preventive Medicine (shipboard sanitation).

Nita,

Some forms can and do take as little as 1 hour . . . . . not often, but it does happen. I saw it happen 'en masse' within 2 hours while in the Navy. Not a pretty thing . ..

"en masse" is the key word. The Dr. on board would have been flooded with sick passengers that ate at the Bistro. My guess a belly full of rich food and a rolling ship.

Is the crew okay? I've heard it gets really dangerous in the kitchen areas when the seas are rough. Big heavy pans, knives, large hot cooking surfaces and hot fat fryers to cause potential injuries.

As someone who had a cooling fridge roll into them while cutting lemons with a big sharp knife..things can get dangerous back there.

On a lighter side of all of this..I've had bad flights that had horrible turbulence, horrible food, crammed in a seat between larger folk for hours. Paid in the $500-$600 range for the airline ticket. You don't see me gassing Delta, United, American Airlines etc.... I still had great times once I reached the destinations.

Reasonable, except that the cruise is the destination. I don't think there's any comparison to a lousy flight (and we've had plenty of them over the past several years) and having a lousy cruise, which is the vacation itself.

I do feel bad for the folks on the cruise last week, and the ride they went through. The food might have been bad in certain peoples eye, but hey can you cook better? Did you have to do dishes after? Did you have to lift a finger at all except for packing and unpacking your bags.

Matter of fact (and not to sound to braggy), but yep, I can cook and bake better food than much of what we've had on cruises. Typically, we've found the food on cruises to be anywhere from yuck (specific dishes) to quite good indeed (and some things that I do not make at home). But the real issue I have with the paragraph is that it basically says, "It doesn't matter how bad the food is (or is perceived to be), how crummy the service is, or anything else. The fact that you're 'on vacation' means that you must be happy no matter what problems you encounter." This is like saying to someone with arthritis, "Hey, it's not a brain tumor, so you really aren't entitled to complain about it." So what if I didn't have to cook the meals or my DH didn't have to do the dishes? We aren't entitled to expect good food and service? We're supposed to set our expectations so low that we'll be happy with whatever happens? No, that's not what we pay hard-earned money for. We do not expect perfection, but we do expect tasty food served properly and profession service throughout the ship. I have to say that we have always had a good time on cruises, have found generally professional service, have enjoyed most (definitely not all) of the food served, have always found fun activities, and have come home from each cruise with good memories (even the one where I broke my ankle and we had to come home early).

When I went on the Dream about a month ago, I was freaked by all the negatives that I have read about on this website. Yes the ship was old, my only negative response was those bed spreads should have been tossed years ago:D. I think that is why they do your bed up with the white blanket at night, and fold those retro blankets aside. I found something I liked in every dining venue, except for the burgers(which were good at 1am on certain nights).

I noticed on the cruise people complaining about the smallest things. Yes, if you goto dinner at 7-8pm, you probably will wait. We happen to hit everything at 5:30, and never waited, have 5 star service. Read and learn from these boards.

I do agree that some people tend to pick-pick-pick and spend all their time comparing cruise A to cruise B (or similar). There are those who basically aren't happy unless they have something to be unhappy about.

Point is, I've spent almost just as much for a 3 hours crappy plane ride, than I did on a single ticket on the Dream.

Again, not comparable. It doesn't take 3 days to fly to Bermuda. Those days are a huge part of the vacation.

The payoff is Bermuda, Bermuda was great, and I bet it was last week also.

Did anyone say it wasn't? The issues seem to be with the ship and cruise, not Bermuda.

I'm not going to dis an airline cause the travel sucked to where I was going.

Why not? You paid for the airfare and should have expectations for at least a tolerable flight.

If you were staying in a suite, then I could see your complaint.

But if you're staying in anything less, then shut the heck up! That's an absurd statement.

You can't control mother nature,and just think how the employees of the ship felt also, I bet they weren't having a good time!! Trying to people smiles on the faces of 1700+ people in bad conditions. Everyone has a bad day...

Here we agree. I wouldn't fault the crew for being less than thrilled with the weather conditions. That's bound to affect how they present themselves--especially if they too are seasick.

Thankfully the crew did their job, and everyone made it home as safe as possible.

I am responding to several comments and I do appreciate them. Had dinner at Le Bistro on Sunday night and within 2 hours was deathly ill, have enough medical knowledge to know that I had food poisoning. It didn't last very long but I was miserable and then the ship rocked and rolled all night.

Is it possible you had food poisoning? I suppose. But you say yourself that the ship was rocking and rolling. I guess it seems to be that you are bound and determined to blame your intestinal "yuck" on the food and discount the ocean conditions. How long is not "very long"? An hour or 2, a day, 2 days? Most food poisoning lasts longer than a few hours. It is certainly possible for the symptoms to start within an hour or 2, but exactly what kind of "medical knowledge" do you have that you can be positive it wasn't seasickness brought on by eating a rich or unusual meal?

During the long night, we had loud smashing noises and when I opened my eyes could see light - and we didn't have the lights on. It turns out that one of the wall panels came loose and was smashing back and forth wildly and we could see into the next cabin. The hole was top to bottom and was 2-3 feet wide. It finally jammed mostly closed but there was part of the panel all over the floor. When I called down for help, the person asked me if it was a vertical or horizontal panel, this after I said it was a wall panel. I know they had bigger problems to fix but was most unsettling. People in the next cabin (one a first time cruiser) had life jackets at the foot of their beds. They finally came in the early afternoon and repaired it (put shims under one part of the panel to hold it in place).

This would be quite frightening. That is a serious safety issue, IMO. I'm sure that the repair crew and other technicians did have bigger problems, but that doesn't excuse them basically ignoring yours. One of you could have been seriously injured.

That is unacceptable. I hope that you addressed this while onboard as well as at the end of the cruise.

I hope they at least offered you a cabin change (assuming there were cabins open; I know they often leave a number of cabins open for emergencies). It is a PITA to pack and unpack again; we had to do that once and did not enjoy it. I imagine you were tired after having so little sleep too.

Sounds great. I'm glad you had a nice time.

How long were the elevators shut down and why? Were there power failures or was it a safety measure? That would be quite a concern to anyone who relies on the elevators to get around the ship. I'm not surprised that there were injuries though. As the cruise line couldn't control the ocean conditions, I don't consider them necessarily to blame for this. In those kind of seas, pax do get injured. Unless the cruise line was actually negligent or didn't get medical care for those who needed it, I don't see the fact that there were injuries or an ambulance to be the cruise line's "fault."

Thank you for giving more details. I disagree with several of your opinions and question a few things, but I also agree with some as well. It's so much better to have specifics than generalizations.

beachchick

I was on the Dream when the stabilizers were on the fritz and we ran into 35 foot waves. I have video of cruisers weaving their way toward dinner as waves roll up and past the windows on the same deck as the main dining room. It was crazy! We felt like we were riding a roller coaster. You could feel the shipping vibrating as it went down one wave and then the bow lifting and rising as we climbed to the top of the next wave.

It was fun to experience...once!

Yeah as thrilling of a ride it was. I dont think I would intentionally sign up for it again. But makes for a great story!!

As someone who had a cooling fridge roll into them while cutting lemons with a big sharp knife..things can get dangerous back there.

Yeah I thought of that as I bounced around the ship. With the rolls of the ocean you would reach out to brace yourself, what happens in the kitchen and you brace yourself with the stove. Ouch!

I also ate at LeBistro Sunday with my wife. We had a wonderful meal. Did you have the mussels? They can be iffy anytime, anywhere.

This was our second cruise on the Dream this year, both were great. Put a deposit down on a future cruise with NCL. I know the ride will be better than this last one. It was an experience of a lifetime, would not have missed for the world.

P.S. Hi, zanboni_girl!

Hi stalkers!!! :-P

I should have my pictures up this week. :) Trying to stay ahead before I get behind ( I have one wedding this weekend and if I get my sports lens back from repair, two hockey games as well).

I also put a desposit down on a future NCL cruise.

I commented already on another thread so I won't repeat... but thank God you weren't up there steering the ship or I bet we never would have made it to port. The passengers were not the only one's sick- so was most of the staff and they had to work( not so with the passengers). And unfortunatly- because of the design and why they put the dishes in the work stations( there are no lips to hold the trays) so when it rolled- yes they did indeed spill to the floor.

Passengers understably paid for an enjoyable cruise- and unfortunatly - only God has control over the weather. I felt that the Captain did a remarkable job getting all 2,400 of us safely to Bermuda without more damage than was done.

Sure the shoppes were closed - Did you see the damage- I did. And the fact that the crew was up there going through itt all and cleaning so ( we ) could shop. I have been on 9 cruises - this was my second on NCL- but I can not say that it will be the last. I found the staff more than helpful, they did their best with a very bad situation. If you couldn't find something to eat- than you needed to go on a cruise that served gourmet food- there was certainly something that you could find to eat( My father is the very pickest eater , and even he found the food exceptable).

We make our own enjoyment. And considering the situation - I felt that it was a very good cruise. ( PS- I walk with 2 canes and have limited use of one leg, my Dad uses one can- and although it was a little tenser at times- even we were able to get around the ship - and had help from other just as we helped them.)

I can only say I would cruise Norwegian anytime.

I felt that the Captain did a remarkable job getting all 2,400 of us safely to Bermuda without more damage than was done.

( PS- I walk with 2 canes and have limited use of one leg, my Dad uses one can- and although it was a little tenser at times- even we were able to get around the ship - and had help from other just as we helped them.)

Yeah I renamed the captain, "Captain Bad Ass".

I thought about the troubles that the elevators closing may have caused, when I was on the ship in Sept I was with my family and my father who can not walk, so that could of been dicey. But we were on the 9th floor and knowing my dad even if we had to go fetch him food he would of taken it in stride. I must get it from him. :D

The good news is he is light. A couple of months ago when we were getting tornado warnings in mass I stopped by the house and I said. "So if we hear the freight train comming, I am going to grab you in a fireman's carry and run down stairs. Just dont fight me". We had a chuckle but it was good to have a plan as well.

Sounds like you have the same sort of attitude.

this has always been my feeling as well: I don't understand how some can find a particular sailing without flaws or almost while another person, on the same ship can find nothing positive to report back. I don't know if it expectations, overall life style, past experiences, or what? I do know sometimes several little disappointments can add up to one gigantic disappointment.

More than anything attitude plays the number word role!!!

Nita

I do agree with you. Attitude is everything. As I have said before, my 10/5 Dream trip was awesome and my friend and I had sooooo much fun...we were treated wonderfully by the crew and we laughed ourselves silly all week.

Our only negatives? My friend thought the casino was too smoky and we chose to move 3X while on deck enjoying the sun cause old (sorry but they were old) people around us were complaining very loudly (amongst themselves) about what we thought were trivial things, comparing this cruise to every other they had ever been on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but respect others around you also.

I do agree with you. Attitude is everything. As I have said before, my 10/5 Dream trip was awesome and my friend and I had sooooo much fun...we were treated wonderfully by the crew and we laughed ourselves silly all week.

Our only negatives? My friend thought the casino was too smoky and we chose to move 3X while on deck enjoying the sun cause old (sorry but they were old) people around us were complaining very loudly (amongst themselves) about what we thought were trivial things, comparing this cruise to every other they had ever been on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but respect others around you also.

your comments bring back memories, I think all casinos are too smokey or most are and I smoke when I am gambling.

As for the oldsters, hey, I know what you mean. I took a group from our church on the Star about a year ago, all were in their 70s and 80s and some had never cruised. OVerall we had a great time, many are still talking about what a great ship and cruise is was. We had one couple, the guy particularly that couldn't stop bitching. All he could tell me (cause I was the leader) was how much better XXX line was, the food on NCL was awful , the service, not what he expected, the cabins too small and on and on. Never did he say a positive thing about the perks they were getting from being a group, like the wonderful cocktail reception, the OBC, the polo shirts I gave them etc. I wanted to kill him. I may add, he wasn't in love with me in the first place. Anyway, after all his gripes, I was told by a mutual friend all he could do when we returned and he had a chance to meet with his morning coffee clutch was to rave about how great the cruise was.. Go figure!!!!!

I guess so. Thanks for that thought Zamboni Girl. Even with the hellious trip - Dad is already talking about our next one. Maybe this time we'll go in the spring instead! What can I say - die hard cruisers.

Yeah I am totally eyeing the one that goes to Quebec City. I would love to do it back to back, two stops in northern Quebec towns, cruise the Sagnay fjord. I looooooooooove Quebec.

Anyway, after all his gripes, I was told by a mutual friend all he could do when we returned and he had a chance to meet with his morning coffee clutch was to rave about how great the cruise was.. Go figure!!!!!

Probably wanted everyone to know it was great because HE was on it.

Mag, I'm laughing our loud at your post about the old people by the pool complaining! We were on the same cruise (10/5) and had a wonderful time. The passengers were older than what we have found on most of the cruises we've taken (and we're "older" at 55 and 57.(

Archived