What happened on the Dream this week?

family cruisers

Somewhere in this house I have a video from our first cruise in 1989. We were in between hurricanes Gabrielle and Hugo. I guess if we were on the Dreamward, as it was called when it first sailed for NCL, I would probably not be writing this now. Thankfully we were on the Norway. Handled it pretty good. But the waves were awesome. I just finished a 6 day run across the Atlantic and it makes you feel sort of insignificant when you realize how small you really are.

We also sailed the Dream this week. I have to say while it was not the best cruise we have ever been on, we did make the best of it. We met some wonderful staff, folks who truely went above & beyond to try and make our cruise memorable.

No one has any control over the weather and it is very easy to say after the fact that perhaps things should have been done differently but all in all we think the crew did an outstanding job given the circumstances.

I've attached a picture of the seas on Monday morning......it's amazing the power of mother nature. This was taken from Deck 7 looking out the window.

Cruise2008Bermuda058A.jpg

Well put. And fantastic picture! I never really got a good picture of how angry the seas were. This one is fantasitc!

Thankfully we were on the Norway. Handled it pretty good. But the waves were awesome.

The captain mentioned the Norway at the Latitudes gathering. He said with a deeper hulled ship we would of hardly felt a thing, where as the Dream basically just sits on top of the water.

I will say I was a little shocked at what seemed to be little emergency prepardness plan in place. I know the chances of a ship encountering seas like that is a rare happening, but it does happen from time to time. The seas picked up pretty much right out of Boston, so a rough night was anticpated, something as simple not preseting the tables, would of saved alot of broken dishes.

Those youtube links are pretty fantastic!

The WORST sea conditions I have ever felt were on the Wind, the Dreams old sister ship. I think with lengthening the ship it doesn't handle rough seas very well.

I don't think that is always the case. Been on the Boston to Bermuda route 7 times since '96, every time on the Majesty (2 pre, 5 post stretch), and honestly did notice id rode better yaw wise, does nothing with the roll of the ship but definitely helped with the yaw of the ship. Now the decor and overall cruise experience after NCL took over i definitely noticed a big difference, but thats another thread :p.

Now, bear in mind the weather and seas im sure were not exactly the same on each cruise, but close enough to make a comparison.

Happy Cruising!

From what I understand is that after running the Norway for a few years and the high fuel costs, when NCL ordered the Dreamward and Windward they wanted to lower those costs. So when they designed them they made them more flat bottomed to get better "mileage". Which also made them more prone to being like a cork inthe water. Believe me I'm not an expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

I was also on the Dream 10/19. Had my 97 yr old Dad and 89 yr old Mom with me. I walk with 2 canes, Dad with one. It was rough, but I will say that the Staff and Captain were trying their best. They had absolutly no control over the weater and he did a remarkable job getting all 2400 some people to Bermuda .

I have friends who work on the ship, and their TV missed hitting the floor- they lost some 40 tv's. Dishes and other items came to 20 thousand. In fact I kidded one of the servers and asked if we were picking up paper plates and cups in Bermuda, and we both laughted.

The relief in the captain's voice once we reached Bermuda was heard- he did have many lives in his hands for those many hours. He did an amazing job.

The Majesty lost all the windows in the Firworks lounge at the front of her bow. ( Was told that by the crew on the Dream). So I would say we were lucky, and we still enjoyed Bermuda dispite the rough trip there. ( Dad fell in the bathroom one night of the rough sea's, the crew were remarkable- helped get him to the Medical room and stiched him up. He still enjoyed his trip even with the fall).

Believe me I'm not an expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

LOL!!!

I was also on the Dream 10/19. Had my 97 yr old Dad and 89 yr old Mom with me. I walk with 2 canes, Dad with one. It was rough, but I will say that the Staff and Captain were trying their best. They had absolutly no control over the weater and he did a remarkable job getting all 2400 some people to Bermuda .

The relief in the captain's voice once we reached Bermuda was heard- he did have many lives in his hands for those many hours. He did an amazing job.

The Majesty lost all the windows in the Firworks lounge at the front of her bow. ( Was told that by the crew on the Dream). So I would say we were lucky, and we still enjoyed Bermuda dispite the rough trip there. ( Dad fell in the bathroom one night of the rough sea's, the crew were remarkable- helped get him to the Medical room and stiched him up. He still enjoyed his trip even with the fall).

You guys sound like troopers!

I could only imagine the stress that ride puts on a captain. I have been in some hairy situations but with only a bus load of passengers. I couldnt imagine with a whole ship load. There is something your body does, kicks into overdrive and you manage to make it through. Then when it is all over you crash big time, and sleep like a baby. :)

I have friends who work on the ship, and their TV missed hitting the floor- they lost some 40 tv's. Dishes and other items came to 20 thousand. In fact I kidded one of the servers and asked if we were picking up paper plates and cups in Bermuda, and we both laughted.

378529794603_0_ALB.jpg

Zamboni_girl is right. You are troopers! Our TV fell in the middle of the night on the Majesty in Sept. At least it didn't land on our DGD! I'm surprised they're not bolted down. Well, they did bolt our's down in the morning when I told them about it. :)

That must be a really vulnerable spot on the Majesty, because the same windows were blown out on the cruise that sailed immediately before mine at New Year's.

And kudos to all you hearty cruisers!

I've often wondered, since these things so happen from time to time, why the ships aren't better equipped to handle it. Why don't they have bars that could lock bottles in place? The shops too...what about the galley and the furniture. Why aren't the TV's in cabins secured in many cases? Surely, there should be a way to lock down these most vulnerable, breakable objects when the seas warrant. :confused:

Don't flame me for this question, I'm just curious....Did any of you get some compensation for flooded rooms etc

New Cruzer - We didn't get compensation for our cabin mishap but we were not looking for it either. We only wanted to be in a different cabin and we did get that, although it did take alittle bit of effort on our part. After we were moved and settled, Wednesday afternoon, we did receive a bottle of red wine from the Front Desk but we do not know if that is because of our problems with the cabin or our problems with room service. Either way it was very nice to have.

Meg

You probably got the bottle of red wine because it sounds like you didn't blame them for your situation, you just wanted a safe,dry cabin.

Great attitudes...

New Cruzer - We didn't get compensation for our cabin mishap but we were not looking for it either. We only wanted to be in a different cabin and we did get that, although it did take alittle bit of effort on our part. After we were moved and settled, Wednesday afternoon, we did receive a bottle of red wine from the Front Desk but we do not know if that is because of our problems with the cabin or our problems with room service. Either way it was very nice to have.

Meg

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the ship Oct 5th to 12 and had a smooth pleasant voyage! Many of our cruises from Boston have been very very rough!

Several cruises people refused to sail home and had to fly to Boston!

There were quite a few people with suitcases heading away from the ship the day we were going to pull out of St Georges. The ride down was a little to much for them.

Then some people like my dad was a little bummed he missed it. The wonderful variety of the world!

• 7 years later...