Bumpiing Tours with longer hike

Nebr.cruiser

Has anyone taken Levi Baron's tour called Roseau Valley Best that includes a hike to Middleham Falls? We are considering this tour over the Roseau Valley Treasurers tour but wondered just how strenuous it is and how long the hike took, roundtrip. Levi says 45-60 minutes one way.

Did you feel that taking the time for the hike meant you missed some other things worthwhile to see on Dominico? Did you have time to go to Champagne Reef--he says this is optional depending on how long the hike takes.

Also, it doesn't stop at Mr. Nice's. Is the fruit stand something not to miss, or not that big a deal?

Thanks! We're also looking a Reyno tours for Dominca.

Last March my wife and I (in our 40's) booked with Levi for the longer hike up to Middleham and Titou Gorge. It had rained overnight and was still raining lightly in the morning we arrived.

We met Levi at the designated spot. He had several people booked so he took 8 people and then sent the 2 of us and 1 other couple (very similar age and very nice) to ride with another guide - Garry. Small SUV, 3 of us in back and 1 rode next to Garry. Due to the rain Garry had to chang the itinerary.

We did Emerald Pool first. Got there before the large tour groups so we had the Pool to ourselves. Great time, easy 15 minute walk on a very good path.

We then went by Mr Nice fruit stand (it was fun, but nothing over the top). We came back towards town and then went to Trafalgar Falls. Long ride but Garry made several small stops along the way to show Wildlife and Fauna (very informative, Garry is a former researcher on the island although you would not guess from first glance).

Trafalgar was crowded and a much harder hike due to rain (and mud). Took maybe 30 minutes up to a viewing stand for pictures. Garry then asked if we wanted to do something a little more challenging and we agreed. We hiked down a small path to a pool area, then went down a rock chute into a Warm Bath spring area. We then went farther out into the actual river area to get a better look at the twin falls. IT WAS FANTASTIC.

Very disappointed we could not go to Titou, but water was running high. Don't know of anyone that made it to Middleham that day.

We left Trafalgar, went by the Sulfar Springs (I think this order is correct), and made our way to Champagne Reef. We were pretty tired AND HUNGRY at this point but decided to keep going. If you don't have your snorkle gear you rent from a local shop (BRING CASH - no credit cards). Then you walk a LONG way along a wooden walkway on the beach (almost 1/2 mile) to an entry point. You literally SLIDE down a rubber mat into the water, the beach is ROCKY, not sandy. Then out in the water you swim to several spots where 'bubbles' come up. Again, there are guides on the beach (not Garry) that will take you to see areas and some fish, but NOT a great reef for wildlife. Kinda boring if you want to compare to other reef areas.

Long walk back to where guide is waiting with the car.

LOTS AND LOTS OF FUN (my wife and I are booked again with Levi for this March on the Summit). I would highly recommend his tours. Couple of things to keep in mind. Bring a TOWEL, it rains A LOT in Dominica. Also, give your driver LOTS OF NOTICE if you need to use the "facilities" and ALL the toilets are PAY TOILETS, bring cash. ALso, eat a big breakfast or get the guide to stop for lunch. He had water bottles and Beer (which was great), but we all agreed we were hungry at the end. Not a lot of shopping at the pier area, so if you want remorablia, get it along the way.

Let me know if you have other questions, would be happy to help.

Thanks for your great review; that helps a lot. Not knowing the geography of the island, it's hard to realize how far apart some of the sights are, especially on those roads. Neither of the itineraries we got from Levi included Emerald Pool. Was that worthwhile?

So to see Ti Tou Gorge you have to go to Middleham falls, or not? I realize you didn't make those falls due to rain; always a possibility on Dominica, it sounds like.

It sounds like the guide was open to changing/adding to the tour to meet your needs?

I was wondering if Champagne Bay was worth it; would you do it again? We've done a lot of snorkeling and have gotten pretty picky about doing it where the fish and coral are not that great. Sad to say, but in the years we've been snorkeling (we're in our early sixties) we have seen a definite decline in the beauty and health of the reefs.

Oh boy, have to make a decision soon! We're leaving Nov. 29th.

We have done a lot of snorkling and diving throughout the Carib and I am rather spoiled on nicer spots than Champagne Reef. As a disclaimer I will admit that it was overcast and we were tired by the time we got to the Reef.

Hardest part was just getting to the spot. This is not your average, just walk in sand, swim a little and cruise around to see critters and coral. Long walk along a wooden raised sidewalk over round rock beach (much more like New England than Carib). Then getting in and out, sliding down the rubber mat (actually kinda neat but wierd). Then also the "guides" that will take you to spots (not Levi or his guides) are a little annoying. We did not use a guide and we did fine.

There are bubbles, but its not like a Hot Tub bubbling up, there are just small streams of bubbles scattered about. It is different, but we both agreed that we are not going back, even though we will have our daughter with us this time and she did not get to see it last year. For us, Champagne Reef was not worth the time, effort and little cost.

Attached is a link about the island that shows the areas by sector in the Map section (click on the areas for more detail).

Emeral Pool was very fun, but ask to go there early to avoid the crowds. EASY walk down to it, water was VERY cold but lots of fun. We actually swam across, then climbed up behind the waterfall for a great Photo.

The roads are kinda scary, just don't look down and you will be fine. Garry was very entertaining and VERY knowledgeable about the history, politics, and growth of the island. Due to the weather he did change it up a little.

I think we were very lucky to get a small group of just 4, but we would meet Levi with his group every once in a while and they were having a great time also, so don't think you can go wrong. My understanding is that the hike part of Middleham is quite long from the parking area. Titou Gorge becomes too dangerous and full of water if raining so probably not worth the long hike to Middleham if you can't do the Gorge. Trafalgar was excellent and being able to climb down into the rocks and out to the ledge area was great. It was a little challenging but Garry was very helpful.

Biggest tip again is to bring several $1.00's for use at the "facilities" and at Mr Nice's hut (his coconut dessert was very good). Also, don't be timid about getting into the waterfall area and swimming around, it is a lot of fun (had to encourage my wife at Emerald Pool but she was very glad she got in afterward). Also, wear comfortable walking shoes that can wet and expect to get wet.

http://www.visit-dominica.com/hikingqry.cfm?AltCategory=91

If I can download some of our pictures from the falls I will try to post them also. Good luck, have a great time and say hello to Levi for us.

Mark

Has anyone taken Levi Baron's tour called Roseau Valley Best that includes a hike to Middleham Falls? We are considering this tour over the Roseau Valley Treasurers tour but wondered just how strenuous it is and how long the hike took, roundtrip. Levi says 45-60 minutes one way.

Did you feel that taking the time for the hike meant you missed some other things worthwhile to see on Dominico? Did you have time to go to Champagne Reef--he says this is optional depending on how long the hike takes.

Also, it doesn't stop at Mr. Nice's. Is the fruit stand something not to miss, or not that big a deal?

When are you taking this tour. I want to take the rosaeu valley treasurse but we only have 2. There are 4 taking the rouseau valley best and we will join them if we need to but really do not want the long hike.

We will be there on Jan 12th

We leave San Juan Nov. 30th, Yahoo! Gettin' closer. Otherwise we'd be glad to join you. I still can't decide between the hike and the regular tour. We like to hike but two hours out of the day is a lot to spend on a hike. We're in Dominica Dec. 2

Tiki Man, we also go to Grenada, Aruba, Bonaire (I think we'll snorkle here for sure) and St. Thomas. We've been to St. Thomas several times, but the other ports are all new to us, so any advice would be much appreciated. They're why we chose this cruise, since we've been to many other islands.

We like active tours, walking, sightseeing, nature, beaches, water sports, unique tours. We're not much into shopping, except for a few gifts for grandchildren and native crafts, the bar scene or stops at 'factories', such as, aloe factory, rum factory, etc.

Keep the advice coming!

We leave San Juan Nov. 30th, Yahoo! Gettin' closer. Otherwise we'd be glad to join you. I still can't decide between the hike and the regular tour. We like to hike but two hours out of the day is a lot to spend on a hike. We're in Dominica Dec. 2

Tiki Man, we also go to Grenada, Aruba, Bonaire (I think we'll snorkle here for sure) and St. Thomas. We've been to St. Thomas several times, but the other ports are all new to us, so any advice would be much appreciated. They're why we chose this cruise, since we've been to many other islands.

We like active tours, walking, sightseeing, nature, beaches, water sports, unique tours. We're not much into shopping, except for a few gifts for grandchildren and native crafts, the bar scene or stops at 'factories', such as, aloe factory, rum factory, etc.

Keep the advice coming!

Definitely snorkel in bonaire!!!:) We are taking our cruise this Jan especially to go to bonaire. The snorkeling was so terrific.

We did a drift snorkel by Klein bonaire and will go there again!!

Thank you Tiki Man for the excellent review! I will be with Garry (four of us) next week and I am really looking forward to it. I appreciated the suggestions to bring towels and food (we'll get some prepackaged snacks before we board our ship).

Now you have me wondering about the Champagne Reef. I originally wanted to do it, but we are sort of like you, we like GOOD snorkeling. We will be snorkeling in St. Thomas and Bonaire on this trip, and I'm thinking maybe we should just skip Champagne Reef if we are tight on time. Plus, I doubt we'll want to lug our snorkel gear around all day.

By the way, when you say the roads are scary (don't look down), what exactly do you mean? Please tell me we aren't going to slide down a mountain!! :eek:

Hi,

Just to let you know I just booked with Levi Baron, but not on the tour with the longer hike, on the other tour. My feet are in bad shape right now (bunions, probably need surgery, but scared of it) and though I can hike easily for two hours, going uphill or on rough trails with these darn feet might be painful. I don't want to spend the rest of the cruise in misery for one hike.

We're going to miss Emerald Pool and Mr. Nice's fruit stand, but maybe we'll be back to Dominca some day to see those.

To jku2, on the drift snorkel at Klein, did you do this on your own or with a tour?

Hi,

To jku2, on the drift snorkel at Klein, did you do this on your own or with a tour?

We went with the Samur. One takes a inflatable raft to the Samur, then travel to Klein, then all take the inflatable to the beach. From there those wanting to do the drift are taken to the other end of the island. The info on the excursion states you drift about 20 minutes. Our group of about 25 took about an hour. We never got beach time as we had to reverse the process and head back to get another excursion going.

We had planned to do this again since the Samur was a nice trip but now think we will just take the shuttle over so hopefully we can spend more time.

Nebr. Sounds like almost the exact Itinerary we did (just sub St. Martin for St Thomas). I did a lot of diving on this itinerary but my wife did other excursions.

Grenada is a pretty little island but not quite ready for a lot of Cruise Ship activitiy yet. VERY crowded downtown area near the pier. I went diving with DiveGrenada, however the beach at Grand Anse was very nice. There is a lot of surf in the area and can be rather windy. The harbor area is a semi circle and you drive around the right side of the arc to the beach, and then can see the ship from the beach area. Also, there is a River Tubing adventure called Wacky Rollers that another couple did and they had a blast. The guides sort of push you along when the water gets calm, but it is never really rough (not whitewater rafting). They may offer snorkle trips to the Marine Statuary Park but pass on this unless you are actually SCUBA. Too deep and kinda boring unless you can get to about 25 or 30 feet freedive.

Bonaire and Aruba are VERY different from Grenada and Dominica, very flat and arid. The snorkling over at Klien is good, but has declined recently. Klien is a small atoll out in the harbor that you must ferry over. JK2 is a much better reference for that. We dove and snorkled right off shore. Literally turn right out of the pier and start walking. The first couple of areas get crowded, so just keep walking down the sidewalk/street until you find a shop that you like. You will pay a Nature Park fee (I think $10) and then they will have several different routes and maps for you right from the beach. Usually a rope line or an anchor spot that will lead to coral heads. Very pretty and typically very calm water. It can get crowded, but not like Orient Beach or anything. The only thing to see inland is the Flamingo Farm but who really want to waste a day in the Carib looking at pink birds.

Aruba I went diving (yep, again) in the morning but we had a WONDERFUL catarmaran sunset ride with Red Sail in the afternoon. LOTS and LOTS of shopping, very similar to Havensight except even nicer. Most of the tours take you to the beach area a few miles up to the left of the pier. Big Dutch Windmill is the reference point. This beach is very populated with hotels and such, kinda similar to Cancun. Not much to see inland (again, this is a desert island like Bonaire). Another couple talked about the 4x4 adventure on the far side of the island but stated it was HOT, sandy and the guides did not really let them get very fast.

sorry if the post was more slanted to diving. I understand that Mandoo on Grenada does rather nice tours but we have not used them. When we go back in March, we are doing the Wacky Rollers in the morning and going over to Grand Anse or if I can find a black sand beach, we will do that for the afternoon.

Dominica was by far our favorite island and the tour we had with Levi's company was exceptional. I am surprised that you are not getting to Emerald Pool or the Fruit stand. The path at Emerald Pool would seem very good for someone with some foot aches and pains. Maybe ask Levi about that and see if he can swing by the fruit stand at least.

Champagne Reef. I really don't want to talk anyone out of this part on purpose, just understand that it is not a very lush reef. The majority of the coral is bleached out and the fish life is your typical Parrot Fish, Yellow Grunts and maybe an Angel, along with lots of juvenille fish. Not a lot of sponges, fans, etc. The bubbles are interesting but not overwhelming. It is also a rather long swim out to the main area. If the weather is clear and you are not tired, I am sure it will be fine but most definately a "been there, done that" place. Bringing your own equipment is good (will save the rental) and you just leave your stuff in the car during the day so no need to be carrying it around.

The roads in Dominica are like most island roads. Narrow and several spots of "give and go". DON"T DRIVE YOURSELF but just sit back and let Levi or Garry drive you around while you look at the lush scenery. Garry was excellent at stopping to point out things like Lemon Grass, Nutmeg, Banana farms, guava, giant cateerpillars. Very educational. Just make sure you relax, dont be shy about getting in the water at the falls, drink a beer at the first stop, bring cash for the "facilities" and take LOTS of pictures.

Thanks jku2 and Tikiman.

I'd already been thinking that on Bonaire we would just walk and find a place to snorkel. With your advice it will be really easy. I don't know if we will try to pick up a taxi tour too or not, once we get there.

We're only in Grenada from 7-2 so I am thinking of taking a ship's tour (gulp, haven't done that in a while) just because of the time restrictions. Otherwise I have looked at Mandoo and A&E tours. The tubing sounds fun; we've done that in Jamaica and here at home. Did you get to see any other sights on that trip? I do want to buy some spices and just generally see some of the island/falls. Not too anxious to beach here, as I don't think we'd have time.

No sunset cruise on Aruba, darn it. We leave at 5. Still undecided here. We don't much like beaches with big hotels and the land tours sound less than spectacular. I think we may just wait until we get there and find a tour and then maybe hit the beach for a while. I think with a taxi they can find a quieter beach.

On St. Thomas we're thinking of taking a ferry to water island and just wandering since we've been there so many times. Or maybe a day sail.

Levi says that adding Emerald Pool and Mr. Nice would add 3 hrs. round trip to the tour and we'd have to do a private tour. $180 for up to three people. Anyone want to join us for this?

I'm not too worried about the roads; we've been on many steep, curvy roads when traveling, esp. in Thailand and Vienam. Also, we survived driving (not us, our tour bus) in Cairo and that's a whole 'nother experience when it comes to traffic! Almost beyond belief. It would be suicidal to drive yourself.

Grenada, we are doing the Ship tour of the tubing (just to make it a little easier). From what I was told, it is basically a fresh water shallow river that flows down to the ocean (I guess worse case you float back to the ship - just kidding). The town can get very crowded with traffic. The best shopping for spices (my wife did this), is to walk through the tunnel (but be VERY CAREFUL for traffic) to the open air market around the corner or if you take a taxi up to the tubing I am sure you could ask them to stop by the market on the way back. They have to enter the pier area that way no matter what due to one way streets.

Catamaran sail in Aruba. We actually did this through the ship because we had a tight departure (they were not going to leave their own group). It was very delightful and right at the pier (about 100 yrds away from the ship) so easy to get back from. If the ship offers that, you might consider. I prefer not to book excursions through the ship, but with tight departures, this was the only way we could do it. Catamaran was large and not crowded at all.

In St Thomas, we once did a daysail with Capt Kathlene (Highpockets Day Sails). She was GREAT. I really really dislike Charlotte Amalie (just been there toooooo much) although they have cleaned it up a lot in the port area. There are a ton of daysail charters that go out of RedHook and cater to Cruise ships. You are probably very familiar, but I would suggest a taxi to Red Hook as opposed to the Water Ferry. With our day sail we had our daughter and 1 other couple. Kathlene sailed about in Drake's Passage, went to a small sheltered bay where we snorkled and found dozens of starfish and even saw an Eagle Ray (not your typical Cayman Ray) and several turtles. She made a chicken pasta that my wife still cooks here at home and the cocktails were VERY enjoyable.

I just looked at Levi's tours and noticed that what he lists as tours was not at all what we actually ended up doing (because of weather). Morne Bruce is a nice spot for a photograph, the Botanticals you just drive through - we never got out. He just substitued Emerald and Trafalgar for Middleham/TiTou. If you can talk him out of the reef swim, you might be able to do Emerald. Also, the WottenWaven Sulphur Springs - well lets just say unless you enjoy the sight/smell of rotten eggs and really want a little geography lesson - you could pass. It's an easy walk and not very long, but its just a little boiling pit the size of a dining room table that you look down into, then turn around and walk back (and the smell is rather pungent).

Sounds like it will cost you more, but might be worthwhile, to plan your own itinerary.

The roads comment was more for the other person that asked about the roads. Sounds like you two are world travelers and these little islands are no problem.

7 of us (aged 11-48) did this tour in early July. It took us about 1 hour and 15 minutes or so to get to Middleham Falls, less to get back. But, it was SO worth it. We had the Falls all to ourselves and, as we were leaving, a huge group came from Carnival showed up. We then headed to Titou Gorge...another amazing time by ourselves before heading to Trafalgar Falls. We got there as others were leaving so again, it was perfect! We soaked in the hot pools below the falls. We had hoped to also visit Champagne Reef but we had just enjoyed the other places too much and didn't have the time. Levi was our guide and pointed out that we had as much or as little time at each spot as we chose.

My sis and mom did the Roseau Treasures tour earlier in the year and went to Mr. Nices and Champagne Reef. They enjoyed their tour, but my sis said Champagne Reef was just "okay".

So, to answer your question, I highly recommend both Levi and Bumpiing Tours and the Roseau Valley Best. It was an amazing day and the absolute highlight of our week. We were also blessed with an amazing, rain-free day so walking was not a problem.

Enjoy your trip, regardless of what tour you take!

7 of us (aged 11-48) did this tour in early July. It took us about 1 hour and 15 minutes or so to get to Middleham Falls, less to get back. But, it was SO worth it. We had the Falls all to ourselves and, as we were leaving, a huge group came from Carnival showed up. We then headed to Titou Gorge...another amazing time by ourselves before heading to Trafalgar Falls. We got there as others were leaving so again, it was perfect! We soaked in the hot pools below the falls. We had hoped to also visit Champagne Reef but we had just enjoyed the other places too much and didn't have the time. Levi was our guide and pointed out that we had as much or as little time at each spot as we chose.

My sis and mom did the Roseau Treasures tour earlier in the year and went to Mr. Nices and Champagne Reef. They enjoyed their tour, but my sis said Champagne Reef was just "okay".

So, to answer your question, I highly recommend both Levi and Bumpiing Tours and the Roseau Valley Best. It was an amazing day and the absolute highlight of our week. We were also blessed with an amazing, rain-free day so walking was not a problem.

Enjoy your trip, regardless of what tour you take!

Thank you so much for posting this , I was deciding which tour to do , leaning toward the longer one , and now I know , after reading your post that the longer one is for us!! My family has used Levi before and loved him so it was no question who to go to ths time around . we did the Champagne Reef also and its true , it wasnt as lush as I thought it would be .

Question ? how hard or should i say intemidating (sp) was it getting into the pools , Levi did say they werent the easiest to get into . also ,how was the swim to the cave? and what kind of shoes did you where? thanks in advance.

letmetellya (love that moniker!), I just wore some sports-type water shoes that I had and they worked out fine (fyi, my SIL bought and wore a pair for the first time and ended up with feet that resembled ground beef - mine were worn in before I headed out). There is a big overlook above Middleham Falls and you have to scramble down big rocks to get to the pool. It can be a bit challenging. The fall itself is large, the pool small, so there is definitely a tow and Levi made us assure him that we were good swimmers. The water was also on the chilly side so, between the current and the cold, it can initially take your breath away. With all that said, it was awesome! You can swim over to the other side, climb up a few rocks and be in the cave to jump from. It was way cool. Coming back out you had to climb back up the rocks that you'd climbed down in order to get back onto the platform and then to the trail. Yes, it's a bit challenging but it's do-able. Hope this helps.

I just got back from the doing the Middleham/TiTou tour with Levi, we had two groups of four. It was the highlight of the cruise for our group. The other, I dont think they had so much fun, they had to go to a small store and buy sneakers(obviously didnt listen to levi's warnings). The Middleham hike was a little rough as they were from Canada and not used to the humitity, we are from Florida had no problem. The water is cold but it was so much fun.

Also on Aruba consider renting a jeep from the any of the car rental places and off road the atlantic side of the island it was a lot of fun, just dont get stuck in the sand dunes.

I just got back from the doing the Middleham/TiTou tour with Levi, we had two groups of four. It was the highlight of the cruise for our group. The other, I dont think they had so much fun, they had to go to a small store and buy sneakers(obviously didnt listen to levi's warnings). The Middleham hike was a little rough as they were from Canada and not used to the humitity, we are from Florida had no problem. The water is cold but it was so much fun...

Camarodrivenrs, what shoe did you wear, did you wear sandals like Levi suggested, if so, were you comfortable walking in them. You said the water was cold, how cold? We will be with Levi early next year and we can't wait. We've heard so much about him and his tours and looking forward to the adventure :D .

Grenada is a pretty little island but not quite ready for a lot of Cruise Ship activitiy yet. VERY crowded downtown area near the pier. I went diving with DiveGrenada, however the beach at Grand Anse was very nice. There is a lot of surf in the area and can be rather windy. The harbor area is a semi circle and you drive around the right side of the arc to the beach, and then can see the ship from the beach area. Also, there is a River Tubing adventure called Wacky Rollers that another couple did and they had a blast. The guides sort of push you along when the water gets calm, but it is never really rough (not whitewater rafting).

Is Wachy Rollers river tubing on Grenada or Dominica? I can find information for this activity on Dominica but not for one on Grenada. :confused:

To all that did the long hike with Levi to the titou gorge :

did Levi have life vests or those yellow waist floatys that I see on people in the pictures of people swimming in the gorge? I think Id feel more comfortable with them and i didnt know if Levi has them or should you request them or bring my own (thats hard to pack) . thanks in advance.

Just had to chime in and say how wonderful our tour was on Dominica. Our driver (who worked for Levi but was not Gary) was concerned at how hungry I was, and arranged for some local fritter-type meat pies and a malted drink that was supposed to be good for me-----and wouldn't take any money for it! Dominica was my favorite island of 9 we visited; nice people all over the island. Have a blast!

Lou-Ann

Archived