Ventura's new sister has been named...AZURA

Goldryder

More here...

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/news.php?u=20081027112012

Not exactly unique as many other lines use that name for their dining rooms. I had hoped they would bring back an old name like Canberra or Orsova maybe, especially as HAL are now using an old name Nieuw Amsterdam for their next newbuild and sister to Eurodam.

I like it, fits in well with the rest of the ships begining with A.

That would be fine if they all started with an 'A', but they don't....you have Oceana, Oriana & Ventura.

They should have had a 3rd ship beginning with 'O', such as Orsova, Orcades or Oronsay. That would give you 3 ships with 'A' names and 3 with 'O' names with Ventura starting another threesome later on.

That would be fine if they all started with an 'A', but they don't....you have Oceana, Oriana & Ventura.

They should have had a 3rd ship beginning with 'O', such as Orsova, Orcades or Oronsay. That would give you 3 ships with 'A' names and 3 with 'O' names with Ventura starting another threesome later on.

Wow! you have put alot of thought into that, are you training for Countdown? I didn't say all the P/O fleet began with A, if I had ment that I would have put fleet in the sentence.

Wow! you have put alot of thought into that, are you training for Countdown? I didn't say all the P/O fleet began with A, if I had ment that I would have put fleet in the sentence.

Actually, no...I am an admin on another cruise board and we have been discussing the naming, and what they could/should have called the new ship for a couple hours or so on there. I just posted the new name information here since I had read it on several good sources including an email from CompleteCruiseSolutions. Maybe Ventura will go to Princess or Ocean Village seeing as she is still not exactly working well over in P&O ;)

I also hope they get rid of the scrap metal afterthought of a funnel design too...looks flippin' awful on Ventura.

""Maybe Ventura will go to Princess or Ocean Village""

It was predicted ages ago that Ventura would become OV III and with the comment that Azura will be ""serene"", then with her being child free, which ship will be transferred to child friendly to cater for them? Take Arcadia if they like, she's 'loud' already.

Mike

It was predicted ages ago that Ventura would become OV III and with the comment that Azura will be ""serene"", then with her being child free, which ship will be transferred to child friendly to cater for them? Take Arcadia if they like, she's 'loud' already.

Mike

No Noddy has toooooo long a contract.

Anyway Arcadia was supposed to be leaving 9 month after she came.:mad:

Ohhhh but she is still here:D

As will Ventura in 3 years time.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Actually, no...I am an admin on another cruise board and we have been discussing the naming, and what they could/should have called the new ship for a couple hours or so on there. I just posted the new name information here since I had read it on several good sources including an email from CompleteCruiseSolutions. Maybe Ventura will go to Princess or Ocean Village seeing as she is still not exactly working well over in P&O ;)

I also hope they get rid of the scrap metal afterthought of a funnel design too...looks flippin' awful on Ventura.

What makes you think Ventura not working well? The last reviews on this

site were really positive, in fact one of the posters was told by the captain that the ship was full to capacity on their trip.

Mike

That must be a record for you, having a pop at three ships in two sentences.

What makes you think Ventura not working well? The last reviews on this

site were really positive, in fact one of the posters was told by the captain that the ship was full to capacity on their trip.

If she was as popular as P&O had hoped she would be, they wouldn't be knocking out fares as cheap as chips on her cruises. Even taking in the recession, she is still offering cruises at well under the average fare for a ship of her class.

She was built for the UK market but they built her too big, unlike the US the average Brit cruiser likes the old fashioned and homely feel of ships and a ship to look like one, not a floating block of flats, which Ventura (along with Arcadia and the rest of the Grand/Crown class in Princess fleet and the Vista class) is...she is a jellymould ship, no character, nothing uniquely British in her feel or atmosphere. She broke the mould for British cruise ships but IMHO she went way overboard. Azura, I hope, will be styled differently to Ventura, with softer lines, no overdose of beige and a more intimate feel about her.

Bring back cruise ships that actually look like ocean liners.

Ally just to add to your very worthwhile observation, Cunard are having trouble with their flat bottomed block of flats, Queen Victoria as well. Bargain great discounts off Christmas 2008 yes this year!!!!!

Who in their right mind would want to do a double Atlantic crossing on her in December?

Ally just to add to your very worthwhile observation, Cunard are having trouble with their flat bottomed block of flats, Queen Victoria as well. Bargain great discounts off Christmas 2008 yes this year!!!!!

Who in their right mind would want to do a double Atlantic crossing on her in December?

hmmm...now let me see....:rolleyes:

I know...someone who wants to spend their entire cruise with their head down the head ;)

If she was as popular as P&O had hoped she would be, they wouldn't be knocking out fares as cheap as chips on her cruises. Even taking in the recession, she is still offering cruises at well under the average fare for a ship of her class.

Ventura isn't the only ship offering massive savings QM2 has, as do most of the other lines.

Ventura isn't the only ship offering massive savings QM2 has, as do most of the other lines.

True...infact, this article over the weekend sort of lifts the lid (so to speak) of the discounting thing...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5007616.ece

Heck, I just managed to thread creep on my own thread...ooops :o

I think a ship full to capacity is a sucessful ship, your entitled to your opinion. But until you have actually sailed on her that opinion isn't valid. Its disapointing when you have to be so negative, and you miss the point

that a cruise ship is not ment to be an Ocean Liner. The cruise ship is a holiday destination where as a Liner is a means of getting from A to B.

That's not a bad name. As for not meaning anything, well the same could be said about Oceana, Adonia and even Oriana.

I look forward to learning more about her design and the policies that the design will implement, and I'm already saving up for a cruise on her in early summer 2010.

She was built for the UK market but they built her too big, unlike the US the average Brit cruiser likes the old fashioned and homely feel of ships and a ship to look like one, not a floating block of flats, which Ventura (along with Arcadia and the rest of the Grand/Crown class in Princess fleet and the Vista class) is...she is a jellymould ship, no character, nothing uniquely British in her feel or atmosphere. She broke the mould for British cruise ships but IMHO she went way overboard. Azura, I hope, will be styled differently to Ventura, with softer lines, no overdose of beige and a more intimate feel about her.

Bring back cruise ships that actually look like ocean liners.

Apart from the normal discounts ie 45% which have been standard for P&O for a few years the present deep discounting, although how many cabins are available at this price is debatable, was started 6 to 9 month ago be the American lines sailing in Europe. If P&O are doing them now it is only in response to the lead from the others.

The Times talks of 50% for Silversea now that is unusual, looking at American cruise sites a 30% discount on that line was very good.

BTW I still see no evidence that Ventura is being discounted any more than other P&O ships. We are on her in Jan and have had an offer of a upgrade, at a price. Actually not that much less than the brochure price difference, so they are not that desperate!!

Now in todays climate clearly something has to give and because of the time lapse in most cruise bookings I think that the new bookings made in April/May 09 are going to be crucial to all cruise lines. I suspect that is when the problems will hit.

However if you have got a few pennies put by, you could be in for some cheaper cruising.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

I am led to believe that the choice of a short name came about because of the recession.

Signage is to be kept to a minimum attempt to reduce build cost.

Cruisebore

Still like the name though, sort of name Posh and Becks would use for their next sprog.

Still like the name though, sort of name Posh and Becks would use for their next sprog.

Well it is a girls name, and of course it means 'Sky Blue' and so with regard to their naming policy.......... one for the 'Mile high Club':rolleyes:

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

This will be a set back for Sue, she was hopeing to do the whole fleet by

August next year. Oh well I guess she will be pre booking her ticket 2010

as we speak, or should I say as we post.

I'll book her for 2010 stopgo (have you a name by the way?) Most people on here at least sign off with a first name, :confused:

If she's going to be child free as Rumrat implies, I'll definatly be there in April 09 booking for 2010...;)

Archived